Mods that work for towing & MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello.. new to the forum, but not new to Ram's.

Just picked up a 2013 Power Wagon 2500 with the 5.7.. so far I'm in love. Giddy. Great truck.

We'll be towing an airstream from Michigan to Vegas & back.. thru the rockies on I-70. Weight is 6000lbs plus another 1500+ of cargo. Rated specs on the truck had this being only about 2/3 rds of max capability, but I still dont want to stress the truck too badly.

I want to do Mods that I read about here... the 87mm TB, exhaust, CAI... and wanted your thoughts on what real world gains this woul give us in towing and MPG without a tuner (none seem to be available right now)...

thanks for any input...

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Good Redline or Amsoil in the diffs wouldn't hurt one bit!

Otherwise, enjoy it!

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmm.. you think so? The factory stuff they came with not as good for the 4.56 gears?

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe 20-30 hp. It'll definitely increase throttle response and put a smile on your face once you notice the difference but as for towing I don't think it's gonna make as big of an impact that I believe you're looking for.

OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dont really need a huge impact... any advantage is better than nothing. Main issues for me (we tow the trailer at about 60-65 mph) is gas mileage.. even 1-2 is a huge leap on a 4000 mile trip. A little extra umpph for the 6 to 7% grades you see in the rockies wouldn't hurt.

question.... should all the fluids.... diff.. tranny... ect.. be gone thru or upgraded? We have to hit vegas in january for the SHOT show (I'm a gunsmith.. we have a booth there) and several trade shows a year around the country. Amsoil motor oil & tranny fluid help with longevity & heat?

OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mods that help towing? Gears, helper air bags, tuner. Welcome to RF! :welcome:

You think air bags would be needed for a toungue weight of 700lbs? The truck has 4.56 gears... driving at about 60-65, those would be pretty decent?

what tuner is available? From what I've read here said nothing was out that was GTG

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you want to tow through the Rockies on purpose? I understand being a mountain freak myself. However, if this is an issue for you, maybe you should drop down to the 40 and go into Vegas that way. Save a little tranny.

OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you want to tow through the Rockies on purpose? I understand being a mountain freak myself. However, if this is an issue for you, maybe you should drop down to the 40 and go into Vegas that way. Save a little tranny.

We very well might do that. For us in michigan.. it adds some miles to the trip, but, if they are flatter it might be the way to go.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's just a thought. Your truck is more than up to the task through the mountains. And man is it beautiful country. Desert is pretty too.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
The Gears will help, and the 700 tongue as well, but I've seen these trucks squat with some 26 footers hooked up, unless its a 2500 (Power Wagon/Hence the 4.56's).

You wanna maintain 65 MPH its gonna take Fuel even on any Hemis.

I haven't Towed a whole lot yet with My 32/34 Ft Vantagee (6955 Dry/1000 Lb Tongue) but on a short Maiden Voyage (SC set on 87 Octane) with some grade about 60 Miles distance I got 9.4 MPG at 60-65 and anticipate the Average to stay between 8.5 and 9.4 when I start hauling More. I have since Put in new Valve Train Components including New Seals and a High Flow Cat. Mind you i have a Third Gen (so its only an opinion from someone who has never sat in a 4th Gen) but even with my Mods (figure I am in the 400 range of both rwtq and HP at the Crank) would not want to go through many steep graded hills for any long period of time or have to tow anything heavier, because to be Honest Diesel (or even the Bad word Ford/ECO-Boost is the way to Go).

Tuner, exhaust, CAI are a good start with a 2600 TC and Ported TB as a phase 2 should give you the xtra uumph your looking for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree.... we've never towed the trailer that way before.. but I've made the drive 8 times now... Utah is pretty amazing!

OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is a 2500... with the 4.56 gears... suspension looks pretty heavy duty.. so I am hoping I dont get much squat.

we only drive about 60-65 with the trailr hooked up (previous truck)... and one thing I can say about the airstream trailers... they d tow very easy for their weight.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
You shouldn't get hardly any squat. My 1500 has HD Leafs with same count as a 3rd Gen 2500 except a 1/2 inch less wide, but with the 1000 Tongue i got even with 1200LB bars I needed to add load leveling shocks (1200lb rate) to help the 2050 Lb leafs (stock is 1700), so ya I figure your HD Truck will be fine but still alot of weight for a Hemi but the new ones are Tougher than the Old (50 more Horses) and seem to respond greatly to the available Mods. Best of Luck and keep us posted on your Towing and Mod progress. Danny

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You think air bags would be needed for a toungue weight of 700lbs? The truck has 4.56 gears... driving at about 60-65, those would be pretty decent?

what tuner is available? From what I've read here said nothing was out that was GTG

The coils are so soft for everyday ride comfort they sag noticeably with any load. That being said, unless your hitch setup can accommodate quite a drop the sag may help keep the nose of your trailer down which would help with MPG. With only 7or so PSI they keep the rear level with a pretty good load, and really help keep sway down. Great $100 investment.
You should see at least a 1MPG increase with a good CAI, plus it provides a great throaty growl at WOT which you'll hear towing through the rockies.
Other than a tuner(and the Airlift bags), I think most mod increases on here are over-hyped.

OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What tuner is available for a 2013? My power wagon is a 2500, no coil springs.. and looks to have a facotry lift.. it sits REALLY high for a factory truck! hehe...

did the exhaust yesterday... had a single 3" exhaust pipe south of the y pipe.. now its a dual set up with a magnaflow, and dual 3" pipes.

The CAI is on the list.. the vararam intake looks interesting, as does the 87mm throttle body, but without a tuner.. are these mods wasted on the factory computer?

Does the replacement throttle body void the warranty?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Vararam is the way to go if you like the looks.
Ported TBs use stock TBs, so unless a dealer removes it and measures the intake bore they'd never know. I didn't see any gains, driveability or other changes with my 87mm; wish I'd kept saving for a tuner instead.
Might knife-edge the plate to get every ounce of potential out of it.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just put the vararam kit, ported tb, and magnaflow on my 13 and noticed 3mpg change on the highway. Not much difference in city driving so I'm thinking that ram air intake must really be grabbing some air at highway speeds.

OP
OP
Strange Ram

Strange Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds good to me! I had a tow to make in 4 weeks to south dakota from michigan & back... 2-3 mpg.. hell even 1-2 would be awesome.