MPG Hauling a small trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I haven't seen gear ratio come up, but that is a factor as well. OP, I'm assuming you probably have 3.55s which is fine for everyday highway driving but not the best for pulling a trailer.

I went the opposite extreme and have 4.56s, which isn't the best for towing (in the opposite direction). I had the gears done before I really started towing though.

I tow a a 16ft. tandem axle trailer with 3 ATVs (about 3500lbs) a couple times per month. I usually get about 9-10 mpg. As mentioned before, it really depends on if you're driving 62-65 or 70-80 because I've seen it make a big difference for me.

OP
OP
GSparkleD

GSparkleD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last trailer towing experience, I towed a 12' tandem trailer with open top. Carrying only a small load. 10 hour drive from the Fraser Valley to the north of BC (lots of hills and windy sections) my trip down to get the trailer I got an average of 20 mpg, on the way back with the trailer, I averaged 14.5 mpg.
I'd say that 10 is a little low. Of course, it all depends how heavy you are on the pedal :)

Man that mpg sounds pretty good, I wish I was close to that! I wasn't heavy on the peddle this trip but that's not always the case

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm always happy if the avg reads 10MPG after 7 hours of towing via freeway and hills. :)

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I have 3.92 gears and got 10.5mpg towing a 6x10 open trailer with a golf cart in it..... Now it drops to 8.5 with my 28' travel trailer behind it