My towing experience.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hi All. Just wanted to relate my recent (and first) towing experience with my new to me 2014 Ram 2500.

I bought this truck back in December 2015 to replace my 06 Ford 250 with the 6.0l diesel. The Ram is a heavy duty 4X4 with the 318 engine. I was pulling a 30' travel trailer that weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 lb. I use a WD hitch and 2 sway control bars. This is the same set up I used for the Ford.

Now for the review: WOW!!! What a difference! This truck tows great! I only had 2 times that caused me some concern and both times were immediately after I went over a Massachusetts bridge. Anyone who has traveled in or through Ma. knows what I'm talking about. Other than that towing was as smooth a glass. Unlike the Ford, there was no sway, no pulling when being passed by a semi and no feeling like I was about to loose control. I had to check the mirrors to make sure the trailer was still back there.

Power was comparable to the 6.0l. Starting from a dead stop was effortless. merging with traffic was easy and braking felt positive.

Mileage was decent for pulling a heavy trailer and I was neither surprised nor disappointed.

Complaints: Mirrors. Truck came with those little flag type mirrors. I've tried to find the fold out towing kind with no luck. I bought some of the Fit System brand clip ons. They are better than nothing but are just not up to the task.

Learning the tow settings in the computer was a bit of a bear but, I'm kinda low tech so that's partially my fault.

So far I love this truck. It makes the trip more enjoyable and less of a white knuckle scream fest.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
These things are a very stable towing platform, for sure. Your post is confusing, though, as you say you have a 2014, but talk about having a 318. Are we talking about two different trucks?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, good on the trip going well.

But, the 318 (5.2l) engine hasn't been put in a dodge truck in well over 10 yrs.

The last year for it was 2002 I think.

The only engine choices in 2014 for the 2500 were:
5.7l V8 Hemi @ 345 cid
6.4l V8 Hemi @ 392 cid
6.7l straight 6 cummins diesel @ 408 cid.

So not real sure which engine you have & are talking about.

Last edited:

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A 2014 Cummins is 6.7 liter (not 5.9)

OP
OP
A

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
These things are a very stable towing platform, for sure. Your post is confusing, though, as you say you have a 2014, but talk about having a 318. Are we talking about two different trucks?

Sorry. Brain cramp. I meant 5.7l.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Another thing to consider is if you had the original trucks' weight distribution set up correctly or not?? A truck should not wander if the appropriate hitch is selected, properly installed and adjusted. I I was to guess your original truck still squated in the back even with the hitch on. If that was the case; you should have jacked the trailer up with it hooked to the trucks ball until it was sitting the same or slightly higher than empty. You then use less links until you've found the height stock looking in appearance after you've let the Jack down on the trailer. Mine always attached to the 4th link on the chain with my Tundra but will undoubtedly require Reevaluation with my Ram 3500.

OP
OP
A

atomicglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Another thing to consider is if you had the original trucks' weight distribution set up correctly or not?? A truck should not wander if the appropriate hitch is selected, properly installed and adjusted. I I was to guess your original truck still squated in the back even with the hitch on. If that was the case; you should have jacked the trailer up with it hooked to the trucks ball until it was sitting the same or slightly higher than empty. You then use less links until you've found the height stock looking in appearance after you've let the Jack down on the trailer. Mine always attached to the 4th link on the chain with my Tundra but will undoubtedly require Reevaluation with my Ram 3500.

Hitch was set up by the dealership I bought the trailer from. Also, because the Ram is taller than the Ford, I had to lower the hitch by one hole but, other than that, the set up remained the same. Trailer felt steady this time where as the Ford felt squirrelly. I don't think the hitch was the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf