Need some help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2013 ram big horn 5.7 hemi 4x4 3.55 brake controller i will be renting a travel trailer next month for vacation. I plan on 1st renting a pop-up to see have it handle and then 16' and the 21-24'. i do not want anything over 5,000lb when i purchase one next year. The question is with the 6 speed transmission do i start in 1st and cycle up 6? what is the best way to shift the transmission. I am new at this thing. thanks.

1967dart406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tow a 20 foot enclosed with a 2 foot v. I have an aftermarket brake controller, air bags, and a wireless compressor for the bags. Trailer with my beetle in it is 5500lbs. I put it in drive and use my tow haul mode shifts nicely and keeps power in useable rpm ranges

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Agreed. Make sure to use tow/haul mode. Also take the time on an empty street to set the brake controller up for each trailer. You should be able to NEARLY lock the wheels up on the trailer from 25mph by squeezing the lever manually on the controller (and not using brakes on the truck).
I even use my cruise control except for hills. If I see more than a small hill ahead I kick it out of cruise and nurse it over the hill so the truck doesn't try and knock itself out keeping up the speed.

Sounds like you have a good plan; the more safety margin you have the better. Keeping weight down will also help you not go overboard on your payload capacity which is our achilles heel.

OP
OP
tprice9427

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all for the input. all advice given was very good and just what i needed. I really do not want to exceed the payload nor tow a big rig. that would not be fun to me. I want to tow it and tow it comfortable. this is why i am renting(can rent the travel trailers at the local military installation) before i buy. once again, thanks for your time and input. :)