Need tow hitch help and recommendations..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Wish that snow a problem here. In SC, we rarely get any (and the kids are desperate for it!) Now, if you had a tow mounted air conditioning unit big enough to cool the county....THAT would be something worth having. :)

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All half ton trucks normally come with class 3 hitches from the factory and that's all I've ever installed for people hauling cattle trailers and campers. If you ever see your self pulling more than 6,000lbs then go with the class iv. Your trucks max towing capacity (payload) is around 9,000lbs so going any higher than class iv isn't really needed or recommended.

Really ?? Everyone I have owned, even my toyota back in 84, had a class IV on it from the factory.

Now, cars and small SUVs I have seen with class IIIs

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Class iv is right. It's just I've always been told it was a class III that the trucks came with. I was wrong.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Easiest way to tell, is class III is the 1" square insert...class I & II are flat bar.

Class IV & V are 2" square, and some class V & stronger (tho not rated) are 2 1/2" now.

I put a class V (2" square version) on the truck in my avatar to give me an attachment spot for pulling myself and others out that was at least as strong as the frame, and I still have that hitch, but not the truck. Only damage to it is one of the safety hook side plates is bent from dropping off a rock ledge onto it when out rockcrawling with it.