Nervous to tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, this is my second truck, but I have never actually towed anything. I guess I'm mostly nervous about hooking up the trailer correctly, and then backing up.

Any tips?

I'm looking to rent a Uhaul covered moving trailer, so it won't be anything heavy. Just boxes and furniture.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of good safe towing tip videos on YouTube. I'd go watch a few.

Basic tips:

1. Don't load the weight too heavy in front or, or behind, the trailer axle(s). A bit tongue heavy is fine.

2. Don't overload your truck. Be aware of your towing weight vs. the truck's capacity rating.

3. Don't speed and give yourself plenty of time to slow down.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I need to read up on towing too. Since I have never and will be doing he same igual tow in a few months.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
U-Haul trailers are hitch, plug in and Go. They use surge brakes so there is nothing to adjust in that aspect. If you don't have the correct height drop receiver, you can buy one from U-Haul, you want it to be slightly nose high while empty. Then load the front of the trailer till it levels off then try to keep the weight even.
While driving, take it easy till you get accustom to how the truck and trailer reacts while stopping. Give yourself plenty of room in front to stop, better to be safe than to find out what your airbags look like when they inflate.
When backing up with a trailer, whichever way you turn the steering wheel the trailer is going in the opposite direction. Careful when making sharp turns while backing up, the trailer will jackknife quickly and may hit your truck/bumper.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You've come to the right place!

Hookup- pretty simple but make sure you check, double check, then check again. Chains crossed? Electrical connected and secured? Hitch secured and pinned? Trailer level?

Check your tire pressures and condition.

Driving- it's not as bad as you think. It can be daunting at first but it doesn't take long to get the feel of it. For the first little bit be aware of your trailer track. Glance periodically at your mirrors as you turn to get a feel. You'll soon know it naturally.

In travels, expect some back and forth and side to side movement. It's the nature of the beast. Don't get alarmed! Sway- you'll know it, but properly loaded shouldn't be an issue. Semis and other large vehicles will push you around with wind, just prepare for it and keep your cool.

Backing up- it takes practise. Get out, check your surroundings and know them. Try to back from the drivers side at first. To start, go slow, small wheel movements and corrections and you'll do fine. And don't worry about the onlookers- they aren't the ones doing the backing.

Most importantly- don't overdrive your ability! The others doing 75 with their big trailers- let them. Don't be the slow poke holding up the freeway but don't be a menace.

Good luck!
Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Uhaul will instruct you on hooking up. But YouTube will help with that too.

Backing up, well, that takes practice. Be patient, don't try to rush as it will only mess you up quickly.

Place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and whichever way your move the wheel, the trailer will go. So if you turn to the left, your trailer will go left. If you hold the wheel by the top, it will be opposite. Turn wheel to the left, trailer goes right.
With a short wheelbase trailer, as soon as the trailer reacts , start chasing it by counter steering.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
you'll also quickly learn that a little steer will go a long way.you won't need to crank the wheel to get that trailer turning.with my boat and the camper on the truck,as soon as i see the boat in the rear view i stop turning the steering wheel.and as mentioned,keep the speed down till you get used to it being back there.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Uhaul will help you hook it up nothing special. Double check ball size. Make sure it's latched Down on light trailers I give it a nice tug to make sure it doesn't pop off. When you hook your safety chains up make sure they are crossed. If the trailer does pop off the hitch the crossed chains will make a cradle for the tounge to sit in. check your lights and give more braking room. Backing up is simple as said little goes a long way. I typically try back up to the left. This way I can lean out the window and I can see out of the drivers side mirror its easier for me to see out of. I know you cant always make that happen but it's easier for me.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The good news is Uhaul pretty much won't let you out of their parking lot without being hooked up properly so that's a good place to start.

Lots of good info so far. Over the last 15 years I've towed everything from a popup to a huge 5th wheel along with vehicle trailers and other things. I'm still "scared" each time I tow and I'd encourage you to never lose that. And maybe scared isn't the best word but more respectful of what's on the line so I always give it my full attention.

No matter how rushed or hurried I am I always walk around everything I tow until I complete a walk around without finding anything out of place. With the RV I'll walk around and often find small things like a storage compartment not latched on both sides. I keep walking around checking EVERY connection and other things until I get a clean walk.

With a utility trailer you just have to check the connections a couple other things - hitch ball latched? electrical hookup firmly in place? jack(s) up? drag chains set? tires look good? wheel chocks removed?

I'll often move the trailer a short distance and do another walk around after moving a few feet. This gives me the chance to do one last walk around and also look back where my trailer sat to be sure something wasn't sitting under it that I'm leaving behind.

I'm kind of neurotic and constantly think of all the bad things that could happen if I don't hook up right. Just get a routine and do your thing and you'll be fine.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lots of good advice here Sir

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agreed 100% with motofell and the others. I still "get nervous " about towing each time I take the TT out. I am always on 100% attention. . Smaller trailers im not as concerned about, but my TT weighs 6k.. sure, there are heavier trailers out there, but it's still a lot of weight to be respected. I think a lot of folks i see doing 75mph+ on the interstate, towing a 30+ foot travel trailer with a chevy Tahoe and no WDH, rear down on the bump stops, headlights pointed at the sky, do not respect the weight. Unfortunately, those are the ones I've later found rolled over or sitting on the side of the road with blown out tires.

Most st rated trailer tires are speed rated to 65mph, so keep your speed below that. Good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye