New Ram Owner With a Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.7L Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yesterday I became a proud owner of a like new 2012 Ram Regular Cab. It has the a 5.7L Hemi with the 3.92 gear ratio. It only has 4333 miles on it so I was certified pre-owned so I got a great warranty. My question is since this is my first truck with a 6 speed transmission should I use tow/haul when towing my 3000lb 19.6 foot bass boat. I never really used tow/haul with my 4 speed 4.8l Chevy Silverado that I traded in for my new Ram. I live in Florida so the terrain is for the most part flat. Thanks in advance for your responses. I look forward to participating on this site. This is not my first Ram. I really missed owning one, that is why I'm back.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I would, but it's not necessary. Heck, I use it when I'm not towing.

Welcome back!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a big believer in the tow/haul when you approach anything over 500lbs in the bed of the truck. I might be paraniod though lol.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use tow/haul everytime something is on the hitch, heavy or not.

A 1-2 mpg loss on a 1000lb trailer is much cheaper than a new transmission.

YMMV.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The owners manual says something to the effect of use tow/haul when the transmission is shifting up and down a lot or when the trans temp starts getting too hot.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Allright man - another Florida guy. Where you at? I'm in Orlando / Daytona.

You can also just use the shifter stalk buttons and just keep it in 4th or 5th.

OP
OP

5.7L Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info and warm greetings. I live in Ocala. I had a Ram back in 2005. It had a Hemi as well. I got rid of it when gas prices started climbing. Then didn't have near the mileage back then. I remember getting around 14.5 mpg on the highway and 12ish in the city. I will be towing the boat down to Kissimmee for a bass tournament. I will be adding a tonneau cover and a K & N air fliter next week. Not sure it they will help MPG's but I don't really care because my 4.8L Silverado only averaged 16.5 mpg and according to what I read the 5.7L Hemi with the 6 speed should be the same or better.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right on man. I added the paragon cover - it's not bad. picked up 1 whole mpg. But at least my junk stays dry.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Guys/Girls

There seems to be some confusion what tow/haul mode actually is.

The tow/haul mode only changes the shift points to allow more bottom end when starting out, it allows the trans to stay in the lower gear longer before it shifts to help get the load moving.

If your concern is your transmission when you tow, turn off overdrive to stop the transmission from hunting the higher gear.

Turn off the OVERDRIVE is smart practice especially when towing heavy!

ON EDIT: my 2500 has a button on the shifter arm I can limit the highest gear to any gear I need to, this stops the trans from hunting on steep accents when towing heavy in the mtns. I have never had to use it yet.

GO CUMMINS!!

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Thanks for the info and warm greetings. I live in Ocala. I had a Ram back in 2005. It had a Hemi as well. I got rid of it when gas prices started climbing. Then didn't have near the mileage back then. I remember getting around 14.5 mpg on the highway and 12ish in the city. I will be towing the boat down to Kissimmee for a bass tournament. I will be adding a tonneau cover and a K & N air fliter next week. Not sure it they will help MPG's but I don't really care because my 4.8L Silverado only averaged 16.5 mpg and according to what I read the 5.7L Hemi with the 6 speed should be the same or better.

Check out the "GREEN" filters. Similar to K&N but IMO better quality.

Chris

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF.