New Tires and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yesterday I posted that a weight distributing hitch worked really well for my 2012 Ram 1500 Express w/5.7l hemi, 4x4, 6 speed auto, K&N air filter and intake and Magnaflow muffler.
What I would like to add is a lesson I learned the hard way recently about tires. I am a Michelen tire fan and had Lt series at2 tires on my old 2001 Chevy 4x4 that I got from Discount Tires. When I ordered new tires for my Ram a month or so ago from them I didn't realize that Dodge puts a P, or passenger, series tire on our 1500 Ram's from the factory. So, Discount Tires just put the P series Michelen's on my Ram. My Jayco Jay Feather trailer weights 4200lbs loaded and with the weight distributing hitch the P series tire is probably just fine. But, I would have prefered the heavier construction and plies of the LT, or light truck, tire. Had I been paying attention, I would have caught the error and bought the right tire. But, in my haste to have nice Michelen tires on my truck, I didn't notice the P designation on the sidewall of the tire until a couple of weeks later, duh. Not about to admit my error to Discount Tire and put out another bunch to money to rectify my inattention, I will be happy with the tires I did buy. They are a great tire and ride well with little road noise and handle well on the crappy dirt road I live on, but, lesson learned. For those of you that tow more than 4000 lbs I would recommend the LT light truck tire of any brand you purchase!
I am considering buying a BullyDog GT Hemi tuner; any thoughts from those of you who have done it?
Thanks.....

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Is there a Load range stamped on the side of the P Tires. I would do C range as a Minimum, D is better (My current 35's are that and my Trailer is 6900 Dry WT) and E is the best.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm really laboring over what to replace our stock Crapyears with. We could go to a 117load General tire, or a full LT but that may affect the ride quality, especially when empty.
Our trailer is 1 1/2 time heavier than yours and the stockers handle the weight but the sloppy sidewalls introduce a lot of sway. Short of trying to find a 1/2 ton RAM with LT tires to get an idea of the ride quality I have no idea what to do. 90% of our driving is just the four of us with little or no stuff.

OP
OP
pt1655

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi,
My old 2001 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with the Michelin Lt at2 tires is probably similar in ride quality to our Ram 1500's. I do not notice any adverse ride characteristics with the Lt tire over my new P tires. We have put about 5000 miles on the new tires over several trips over highways and back country dirt roads and I have no complaints. I am just hoping the P tire is as good as the Lt tire in repelling rock induced holes and sidewall slices in the tires! I dry pretty slow and reasonable on our dirt road but a rock is a rock is a rock!
Pete

Attachments

• 2013-03-24calvac 102.jpg
    2013-03-24calvac 102.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 113

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I run LT's load range E and I actually feel the ride better than the stock ones did at least when I owned the goodyears which was towards the end of their life. I like an LT because I guess for me I would rather have too much and not use it than max out the P series and have that sloppy sidewall feel. I know that by going to a bigger tire it did hurt mpg some.

$miley

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The tires on these trucks are definitely the weak link when towing. The sway that does develop is all right in the sidewall of these pansy ass tires, and I even have the LT tires, but they are only the C range ones. The anti-sway hitches that everyone buys are great, but they only address the symptom, not the problem. The next set of tires I put on will be at least D-rated, and possibly E-rated. The additional belting doesn't hurt when you are off road anyway.