Newbie looking at 3500 for towing - questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramshrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new 3500 Cummins AISIN 4x4 CC for the purpose of towing. Originally I was planning on a dually and a big truck camper, but as I've learned more about the trucks I'm back toward a SRW and a travel trailer.

I test drove a couple trucks today and have some questions.

I prefer SRW for off-road, snow, and easier driving/maintenance. Anyone put a smaller 5th wheel on a short bed full ton? Or if I plan to do a fifth wheel should I just get a long bed? It's not too much trouble to get a LB, just a little less maneuverable off road.

What do you think about the factory auto level rear air suspension? A worth addition?

I'm really confused about the floor console. I want to be able to drive 6 people and it seems like a lot of the models have the full floor console which leaves no leg room for the sixth passenger. What option or trim line do I have to get (or not get) to make sure I have that space available?

I know I need a trailering package and I prefer the winter package.

Anything else you think I should know?

thank you!

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tradesman gets you room for the 6th but cupholders and manual 4wd shifter are still on the floor. SB is gonna increase chances of a cap-meets-cab incident with a 5th and LB's are a peach to park anywhere these days. I see HUGE 5ers on SRW's everyday. 2500 and 3500. I figure my average payload is in the +/- #3800 spectrum and I gots no complaints thus far. Can't comment on the air ride. Full disclosure: I'm way into my cups right about now so most everything seems not only possible but a whole lot of fun so take all of my encouragement with a grain of salt. On a lime wedge. And tequila. Sweet devil She-Beast tequila. Happy Shoppin'. Pics when you pull the trigger!

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Expanding on Pippin's comments.

If you go with the short bed then plan on installing an auto-slider fifth wheel hitch system. There are manual sliders available but if you have to make a sharp turn, like those entering and exiting a fueling point, you would have to stop and deploy the manual slider first.

I have the auto rear air leveling system on my 3500 SRW and it does the job. It automatically levels the truck for towing and keeps it level and can make dynamic adjustments left to right based on the road surfaces. I would order this option again. Also get the cargo-cam, makes it easy to hook up the fiver.

I wouldn't invest $2600 in the Aisin for an SRW configuration, there is no return on the investment including resale. The 68RFE in the SRW will pull just over `17,000 pounds, more than that then go with dually setup and the Asian. The 68RFE is an excellent transmission and very dependable. It earned a bad rap from the old days when all you had to do to get more power from the Cummins was to turn a screw on the injector pump. You can find a side-by-side compare between the 68RFE and the Asian on Allpar.com

You can get a full bench in the front on higher trim levels. You may also be interested in the RAM Mega-Cab model.

In my opinion from my own fifth wheel towing experiences there are a few must-haves;
Cargo-cam
Rear air leveling system
Fifth wheel/gooseneck prep package
Auto-sliding hitch for a SB
4 wheel drive

One aftermarket option;
The BD Diesel 2 Low Unlock. This add-on allows selection of four wheel low but disconnects the front axle. Maneuvering in a campground, for example, low gear makes it so much easier but without the kit, you get steering bind from the four wheel drive.
https://www.dieselperformance.com/s...0-2009-2017-2500-2014-2017-3500-2013-2017-586

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I don't know if the 2 systems are similar or not, but i had a 2000 ford expedition Eddie bauer with the Ford LLS and i hated it.

I had to keep the truck running when hooking and unhooking the tt or by design the system would air down to ease entry and exit from the cab.

On the Ford forums there were lots of posts about issues with the system in older trucks. Leaking air lines, bags, etc. Cimpressor issues.

A lot of guys eventually spent the money to buy the conversion kit to go back to coil springs and ditch the air ride/LLS garbage.

Just more things to go wrong and maintain. I want no parts of any air ride system.
However, this is just my opinion others may like it. It's personal preference. Good luck

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's an awesome 3500 4x4 Crew Cab for sale in the classifieds here.

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1396508

I know it's already posted above , but it's been for sale for a while ...may be able to deal with the seller .
It's a loaded truck and low miles .

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think you'd like a fifth wheel more than a TT. They tow soooo much better.

Short box trucks + slider hitch + fifth wheel = towing with no problems.

I'd do the SRW if you were planning on going off-road, narrow trails or out in the mud and snow.

The rear self leveling feature is fantastic. The truck levels out and you don't have to do a thing. One thing I wonder about is whether or not you can get it in a 3500 due to load restrictions on that system vs. the payload rating of the 3500.

If you are gonna tow a trailer which puts you near the GCVWR of the truck, get 4:10's

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I believe all you have to do to get rid of the floor console up front is to get the shift on the fly 4x4 option. Really I don't see the reason ram has this option cause they don't offer manual hubs so either version you get is shift on the fly you just have the option of a lever which is nice or you rely on a electric switch.

OP
OP
R

ramshrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the RAM for sale is a big bad truck, but I really want to be able to seat 6.

Grunt4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I pull a 13k 40ft 5're.

Truck:
3500 6.4
Shortbed
Cargo-cam
Rear air leveling system
Fifth wheel/gooseneck prep package
4 wheel drive
Anderson Hitch

Attachments

• image1[2048].jpg
    image1[2048].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image2[2049].jpg
    image2[2049].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm pretty sure any auto tranny HD Ram (2500/3500) will have a column shifter so it's just a build option of bench seat vs bucket seats (bench seats 6, buckets seats 5).

5th wheel versus travel trailer is an age old debate. Lots of opinions but it really just depends on what you need or like. I've had 2 of each and like things about each. TT = bed available for bikes and storage, lower tongue weight. 5th = better floor plan and better towing. Again, very subjective stuff so do your own research and make your own decision.

SRW vs DRW depends on what type you're towing and how heavy it is.

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
If you are traveling with 6 in the family I'd recommend the Mega Cab. With 6 people it will be "comfy" if traveling longer distances but definitely doable. The standard crew cab rear middle seat is short end by about 3" in length. I suppose it would be comfortable for a small kid just out of a booster but any kind of taller kid or teenager it may be uncomfortable. The MC also provides reclining rear seats and extra storage for jackets, games, snacks and gun cases.

Since the MC will only come in the short bed you probably won't have any problems with a 5er as many manfactures account for people having a lot of short bed trucks now and design the front of the trailers accordingly. Or just spend the money on a good slider and use it. A 3500 Laramie MC dispel is my next truck.

Btw, said it before on here. If you are going to spend the kind of money we all/most do on these truck then I'd recommend send the money on features and options you want and save your money on options you don't want. Order a new truck from a dealer. Some of the larger volume dealers give the same discounts in ordered trucks as you would get on a truck off the lot.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you are traveling with 6 in the family I'd recommend the Mega Cab. With 6 people it will be "comfy" if traveling longer distances but definitely doable. The standard crew cab rear middle seat is short end by about 3" in length. I suppose it would be comfortable for a small kid just out of a booster but any kind of taller kid or teenager it may be uncomfortable. The MC also provides reclining rear seats and extra storage for jackets, games, snacks and gun cases.

Since the MC will only come in the short bed you probably won't have any problems with a 5er as many manfactures account for people having a lot of short bed trucks now and design the front of the trailers accordingly. Or just spend the money on a good slider and use it. A 3500 Laramie MC dispel is my next truck.

Btw, said it before on here. If you are going to spend the kind of money we all/most do on these truck then I'd recommend send the money on features and options you want and save your money on options you don't want. Order a new truck from a dealer. Some of the larger volume dealers give the same discounts in ordered trucks as you would get on a truck off the lot.
Very true. Mega cab is totally worth it. My sister in law actually said she might have the seat reclined too far. Back seat is very comfortable. I ordered mine exactly as I wanted and got the same dealer discounts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ramshrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very true. Mega cab is totally worth it. My sister in law actually said she might have the seat reclined too far. Back seat is very comfortable. I ordered mine exactly as I wanted and got the same dealer discounts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

did you use dillion or dave smith, or someone else?