No hitch on new truck... what do i need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11ustin22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i picked up a new sport with no hitch. Need to know what i need to get. I crawled under the truck and it has the bar that goes from frame to frame. Do i need to just buy the receiver part and bolt it on? Do i need to remove it and install a fully welded one? I want it to look factory...meaning you can only see the receiver. As far as what i will be pulling, the heaviest i will be going is 20 ft bass boat. Have no idea what that would weigh but looks from a quick google search to be less than 4000 lbs. Actually alot closer to 2,500 from what i can tell.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Personally I look see if you can't find the part # for the factory hitch that is welded on to just swap it in with your current one.

Probably need to get the wiring harness for the hitch as well, not sure if your truck is wired for that or not.

Never really trusted the after market ones, prefer one that is a part of my vehicle.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put this one on my Express. It looks identical to the factory piece. Works great and took like 10minutes to install. There are install video's on Youtube to watch if you search for them.

2014 Ram 1500 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

My truck was already wired with the 4 and 7 pin plugs. The hitch was deleted by the express package though.

the_saint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a Hemi
I put this one on my Express. It looks identical to the factory piece. Works great and took like 10minutes to install. There are install video's on Youtube to watch if you search for them.

2014 Ram 1500 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

My truck was already wired with the 4 and 7 pin plugs. The hitch was deleted by the express package though.

Thats the same one I installed and have been towing a 5000 pound trailer with. bought is from amazon for $70.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think all you need is the correct receiver hitch and it will bolt right up. The wiring is already there next to license plate on left side.