OEM Brake Controller install 2016 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
I just bought a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4 CC. The only thing I didn't get with the purchase was the factory installed brake controller. I ordered one from the dealer and was wondering if anyone has insight on the install? Mine has the dial in the dash to engage 4x4 so it was different than a model similar that had a floor shifter to engage 4x4. The 5.7 model had the OEM brake controller. Any thoughts.

Fred

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Welcome to RF! If it were me I would have the dealer install my brake controller but that's me.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Oh congrats on getting a fine truck.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Welcome to RF! If it were me I would have the dealer install my brake controller but that's me.

Sadly I would agree with this...

You can install it but the dealer will have to flash it into the truck regardless for everything to sync up... So honestly, better off to just let them do it...

OP
OP
F

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
Thanks for the advice I didn't realize the dealer would have to flash the computer.. $260 just for the part, I hope they don't charge a bunch to flash it.

OP
OP
F

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
I just called the dealer service department. It's $94 for the dealer to install the $260 OEM brake controller. They do give a 10 % discount because I bought the truck there. That includes the flash on the computer..

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just called the dealer service department. It's $94 for the dealer to install the $260 OEM brake controller. They do give a 10 % discount because I bought the truck there. That includes the flash on the computer..

I don't know what type of trailer(s) you are going to pull but before you spend any money on the factory brake controller (ITBM), you may find the following thread interesting;

http://www.ramforum.com/f119/brake_controller-71708/

The short story is the ITBM does not provide full voltage (12 volts) to the trailer brakes, only about 70% albeit Chrysler claims only at speeds below 30MPH. That is not what I and others have experienced. If your trailer's brakes will provide full braking effort at 7 volts, you are good to go. Keep in mind you can not set the ITBM's gain using the manual slider because it does not over-ride the 70% rule :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
If what your saying is accurate I don't see with the safety issue at hand how Chrysler isn't taking this for action and issuing a recall or fix?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If what your saying is accurate I don't see with the safety issue at hand how Chrysler isn't taking this for action and issuing a recall or fix?

Neither do I and others. I've talked to a Chrysler quality engineer and filed a paper describing the issue with proof to the NTSB. The last I heard is there will not be a change until the new model of the HDs now scheduled for MY19.

For now I'm using a Prodigy P2 with the cable they make that plugs in to the wiring under the dash.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Listen to Boss and read the thread. Others are asking the same questions. Do not waste your money/jeopardize your safety! I want the factory installed look too, but its not happening

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The short version of that long thread is that most everyone with problems has heavy trailers with large brakes. Not that my experience is to be taken as rule, but both of my trailers brakes function properly with the factory controller. I can drag either trailer if the gain is set above 5 on light electric. No the trailers have dual 3500lbs axles with 10" brakes. It sounds like everyone with 12" brakes has issue with the voltage not being enough to engage them. So if you've got a large trailer you'll easily find a P3 and harness hag you can install yourself for less than $350, guaranteeing that it will work properly.

OP
OP
F

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
I like to go camping and fishing. My boat doesn't weigh much (Crestliner 1600 Super Hawk 75HP Merc). My current camper trailer is only 24', but I'm looking to upgrade to a 30' camper. I had a 2011 Nissan Titan CC 4x4 which towed the 24' camper fine, but the camper dealer told me the Nissan wouldn't tow the 30' camper safely, that's why I upgraded to the Dodge 2500. At this day and age I can't imagine why Dodge wouldn't have this figured out.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2500 came with the brake controller installed. I'm still waiting to get over 1000 miles and test out the towing with my trailer brakes. crossing my fingers and hoping I don't have issues.

In terms of the physical install, if you decide to go forward, it's pretty straight forward. But for $100 you can make the argument if you don't want to pull the trim off your dash and lay on your back on the floor for an hour, have someone else do it. But I don't like anyone to touch my truck especially not any dealer so I did the install my self on my 1500. But got charged I think $130 for the computer flash.

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Salem 27 dbud. Similar to what you describe. No issues with my controller. I set it at 7 on light.

OP
OP
F

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
I'm going to roll the dice and hope the factory OEM brake controller works for my application. I do plan on having a interesting conversation with the service manager.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe the mods can merge this thread with the other one since its become a "does it work with this trailer question now"?

gishidesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Do I understand correctly from the other thread that the brake controller issues are resolved now?