OEM Controller vs Voyager Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Long Islander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summins 6.7
I will be hitching up with a 2010 Ram 2500 6.7 4.10 which contains the OEM brake controller.

Is there anything I should know about? I towed with the Voyager and a 1500 many many times.

Hows the settings on the OEM one?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The OEM one sucks as it only has a gain controller, but no adjustment for gain rate based on applied braking.

It is sufficient however.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
The OEM brake controller works off the speed sensor in the rear end. So I always set it to 10 and the ecu adjust the brakes based on my speed. I set it to 10 because the manual brake will only go as high as you have the gain.

OP
OP
L

Long Islander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summins 6.7
The OEM brake controller works off the speed sensor in the rear end. So I always set it to 10 and the ecu adjust the brakes based on my speed. I set it to 10 because the manual brake will only go as high as you have the gain.

Ok thanks for the tip. I will be towing in two weeks.
Can I hook up my aftermarket with the connector from my 05 ram 1500 or did that change.
Im thinking I will keep the aftermarket one just incase I need to hot swap during pulling with the family.

Sent from Samsung S5 using Tapatalk

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok thanks for the tip. I will be towing in two weeks.
Can I hook up my aftermarket with the connector from my 05 ram 1500 or did that change.
Im thinking I will keep the aftermarket one just incase I need to hot swap during pulling with the family.

The plug will be under your dash above the gas pedal area. Take a look st it and see. In 2013 there was a mid year change that requires a different harness to be used.

OP
OP
L

Long Islander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summins 6.7
The plug will be under your dash above the gas pedal area. Take a look st it and see. In 2013 there was a mid year change that requires a different harness to be used.

Is that harness plugged into the oem brake controller now?

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is that harness plugged into the oem brake controller now?

it may be. ive never had install a aftermarket controller into a dodge that had a oem controller. ive done it on chevy/gmc trucks and they still had seperate wiring for a aftermarket controller to be installed. in the chevy/gmc there is a extra wire going into the fuse panel under the hood for the oem controller.

did you look under your dash yet?

OP
OP
L

Long Islander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summins 6.7
it may be. ive never had install a aftermarket controller into a dodge that had a oem controller. ive done it on chevy/gmc trucks and they still had seperate wiring for a aftermarket controller to be installed. in the chevy/gmc there is a extra wire going into the fuse panel under the hood for the oem controller.

did you look under your dash yet?

Unfortunately I didnt pick up my mew truck today.

Scheduled for tomorrow.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
How does it work off the speed sensor? By that I mean, what type of input can the speed sensor supply that impacts the operation of the brakes? I don't see how speed alone should make any difference in operation.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
How does it work off the speed sensor? By that I mean, what type of input can the speed sensor supply that impacts the operation of the brakes? I don't see how speed alone should make any difference in operation.

it calculates the rate of deceleration from a given speed to determine how much brake shoud be sent to the camper. i agree that the oem ones dont give the driver total control for personal driving preference. the aftermarket controllers can definitely be set with a more insant sensitivity.

Reactions: jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I guess since it is integrated it makes sense to eliminate the accelerometer.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From my weak understanding (only looked briefly at replacing OE with aftermarket, since I don't have an OE), you can purchase the aftermarket to OE harness (eTrailer for example sells them).

The '13+ Rams have a 2 plug system for the OE brake controller, the switch mounts in the dash, and wires to a separate box (Not 1 unit like the '09-12). There are 2 connectors off this. I'd assume you'd have to unplug both.

No promises that won't really **** off the truck tough.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
From my weak understanding (only looked briefly at replacing OE with aftermarket, since I don't have an OE), you can purchase the aftermarket to OE harness (eTrailer for example sells them).

The '13+ Rams have a 2 plug system for the OE brake controller, the switch mounts in the dash, and wires to a separate box (Not 1 unit like the '09-12). There are 2 connectors off this. I'd assume you'd have to unplug both.

No promises that won't really **** off the truck tough.

Mid year '13s have 2 plugs even if you don't have a OEM controller. They changed something with the brake signal. Its called powernet I think. The signal wire has 12v now.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know my truck is now pretty old but I really like the OEM look and when I tow the car trailer I have found the controller to work very well. I can only imagine they made it even better in the refresh.

DHDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the Voyager on my last Ram ('04 2500) and hated it. Upgraded to the Prodigy P3, which is a fantastic unit. The P3 allows for a lot more adjusting (trailer size/gain setting) and tweaking of the controller. My new truck ('12 Ram 2500) has the OEM controller. Although I did not like this unit. I was advised to "give it a try". It took a little while, but now I am ok with it. My settings are much lower now (2.5-3.5) than they were with the P3 (7.9-8.3). I am towing a 35' 8800lb TT.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I had a Brakesmart in my '05, and it was remarkably good. The trailer just became part of the truck. It read brake system pressure via a transducer installed in a tee at the master cylinder, and gave proportional braking.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I had a Brakesmart in my '05, and it was remarkably good. The trailer just became part of the truck. It read brake system pressure via a transducer installed in a tee at the master cylinder, and gave proportional braking.

That is old school. I had something like that on my 85 Chevy, and I will admit, there wasn't much better than that for informing the controller what is going on! More costly to implement though unfortunately.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
That is old school. I had something like that on my 85 Chevy, and I will admit, there wasn't much better than that for informing the controller what is going on! More costly to implement though unfortunately.

The Brakesmart was not like the old-school Kelsey-Hayes type units that were fed through a tee, and actually displaced fluid, which is a bad thing. Almost all the hot-shotters who towed super heavy ran Brakesmart controllers.