Opinions 1/2 ton gooseneck ability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys what are your guys thoughts, experience, concerns, grips, complaints on getting a goose neck set up in my 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 5 speed 4x4 3.55 gear ratio, lately I've been involved in Rodeo and being a Ranch hand and I'm always having to find that rare person that has a hitch pulled horse trailer and everyone else I know has Goosenecks. so I was thinking if my truck can handle it i'd like to get a gooseneck set up so I can use my friends goosenecks now looking at my trucks stats based on Ramtrucks.com towing chart my towing capacity on the hitch is 8600 with a payload of 1464. from what I've seen with 2500's is that the gooseneck towing capacity is much larger than the hitch would this be applied to 1/2 tons as well????

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Towing capacity and payload/tongue weight are the same for a truck no matter what type of hitch used*
bumper pull, you need to add a WDH depending on the amount of trailer tongue weight.
Depending on the trailer/cargo weight, you probably will be able to pull a two horse gooseneck.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The answer is, it depends...

How much does the trailer weigh?
How many horses do you want to pull 1 or 2?
Estimated weight of the horse(s)?

Lets say you have a light 1 or 2 horse trailer, about 3000# empty. Add 1100# for the horse. The pin weight should be around 25% of the total trailer weight. So around 1000# pin weight.

That leaves you about 500# of payload left to play with. Even with 2 horses you should be okay. It depends on the total weight of the trailer loaded with gear & horses.

Just remember, you are part of the payload. Also, not including tackle, hay, etc. But realistically, 1/2 trucks are kinda derated for safety. You can probably carry more than 1400# payload.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Swap gears with that maybe 4.56, it will raise your towabilty like 2k pounds or better. If I was gonna put a gooseneck, I wouldn't have bought a truck with 3.55's. Check your tow guide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's days like this where I wish I could get a Cummins when I got my truck I wasnt a Ranch hand, I'm just looking for a quick solution till I can upgrade but thanks for the answers guys I'll have to look at the trailer weight but yeah our horses are out 1100# 16 hand horses and I only pull two at with a two horse trailer and I know my truck screams uphill, if i had to guestimate id say my gcvwr is 5,300 that 3 guys who eat well, two horses, a guestimated 2000 pound bumper pull trailer (i dont know how much small gooseneck trailer weigh) if i could post pictures on here (thanks photobucket) id show you guys how much squat I have with all of that which is just about level with the wheel wells