Opinions on Andersen ultimate hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Easy to use, disappears when not in used, simple to set up would be the likes.

It's not a slider and if you have a short bed be careful about how much clearance you have between the cab and trailer when turning.

I wanted an Anderson ... bad ... but it wasn't to be due to clearance issues.

OP
OP
D

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a short bed. That's my only hang up.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a short bed. That's my only hang up.

Like Maddog said, the Anderson has a lot of benefits but its biggest negative for us with the 6' 4" bed, is the Anderson positions the pin in front of the rear axle lessening what clearance there is.

Best thing to do is measure the width of the front cap of your fiver, then half that number and measure from the pin position to the cap to get an idea of your clearance. You will discover you don't have a lot of turning degrees making campground maneuvering impossible and even sharp roadway turns a concern.

I originally equipped with the B&W and set the B&W so my pin was directly over the rear axle. This provided reasonable clearance until I got into campground maneuvering. Despite carefulness, I did hit the truck's cab with the fifth wheel's cap, twice, in close maneuvering. The cost to repair the cab was north of $1,800, the auto slider, about $1,200. Your call.

The downside of a sliding hitch is you need to equip the pin box with a plate that has a cam mounted. The cam engages the hitch causing the sliding action of the hitch during a turning action. The hitch is heavy and to remove it, you have to pull it first and then remove the picture frame to get an empty bed. It isn't an issue for me, I seldom take it out and if I do, I use a tractor with forks to do the work.

I now run an auto slider hitch. You can opt for a manual slider but I've had enough of the cab/cap collisions and opted for the auto sliding setup.

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I liked the Anderson, until I seen the price. I've never had a issue hitting my cab with my non slider,, but it does depend on the 5er. Mine has keystone's max turn cap (can't remember exactly what they call it). I even have a back rack on my truck. I can get around 70-75* with the back rack. I'd be around 85 without it.

Grunt4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just purchased mine a few months ago after getting our first 5'er. We have a 6.4 bed and had the same concerns around clearance. As you can see fro pic no issue at all. It just depends on the 5're and pin box it comes with.

Attachments

• image2[2049].jpg
    image2[2049].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 102
  • image1[2048].jpg
    image1[2048].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 80

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just purchased mine a few months ago after getting our first 5'er. We have a 6.4 bed and had the same concerns around clearance. As you can see fro pic no issue at all. It just depends on the 5're and pin box it comes with.

Nice 5er. What does that weight?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Looking at the Anderson, it is actually a gooseneck? I know you can convert the pin box on a fiver, but I seem to remember reading that manufactures were voiding warranties among other issues. What is the benefit in this set up other than the hitch being lighter and easier to remove. In my case I have an 8ft bed with the factory fiver gooseneck set up. I am liking the Curt Q20 5th Wheel.

OP
OP
D

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at the Anderson, it is actually a gooseneck? I know you can convert the pin box on a fiver, but I seem to remember reading that manufactures were voiding warranties among other issues. What is the benefit in this set up other than the hitch being lighter and easier to remove. In my case I have an 8ft bed with the factory fiver gooseneck set up. I am liking the Curt Q20 5th Wheel.

It mounts to a gooseneck ball in the bed. There is an adapter that goes on the king pin that has a cable to release. It is said to be a smoother ride as well. We just ordered our new 5er today. I think I'm going to try it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Get a slider... it's kind of like 4WD. You only need it a couple times a year but those 2X a year when you don't have it you are up the creek as the saying goes.

I love my B/W slider. My main complaint is the weight. I'm pretty sure it's well north of 200#. I just lift it out of the truck with the fiver's landing gear. I had a cheap/crappy Reese with my older 5th wheel and will never save money on a hitch again. The thing was a nightmare every time I used it. The B/W is just a great piece of equipment.

As for the slider vs. not, I just figure the extra weight and hassle of a slider is the price I pay for not having 2 extra feet of truck that I don't need.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Get a slider... it's kind of like 4WD. You only need it a couple times a year but those 2X a year when you don't have it you are up the creek as the saying goes.

I love my B/W slider. My main complaint is the weight. I'm pretty sure it's well north of 200#. I just lift it out of the truck with the fiver's landing gear. I had a cheap/crappy Reese with my older 5th wheel and will never save money on a hitch again. The thing was a nightmare every time I used it. The B/W is just a great piece of equipment.

As for the slider vs. not, I just figure the extra weight and hassle of a slider is the price I pay for not having 2 extra feet of truck that I don't need.

Looking at this one myself, how much of a difference is the double pivot? I have kind of narrowed it down to one of these two.
https://www.etrailer.com/comparison.aspx?pc=C16545-16021&pc2=BWRVK3600

OP
OP
D

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm currently running a Reese slider. What issues did you have? Mine works well.
I was just looking to get a new hitch with our new coach. My current hitch is 12 yrs old. Is your b&w a gooseneck mount?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looking at this one myself, how much of a difference is the double pivot? I have kind of narrowed it down to one of these two.
https://www.etrailer.com/comparison.aspx?pc=C16545-16021&pc2=BWRVK3600

I'm not sure about the double-pivot thing. I don't even know if I have it.... LOL. I remember a decade ago or so hitches didn't even have a single pivot and they worked so I can't imagine only a single pivot it a problem.

My attachment is different than either of those. I only have the single hole in the middle of my bed like where a goose neck goes. Mine's called a turnover ball and I think mine came with an adapter that would let me hookup a goose neck trailer if I wanted to. The rails run under the bed and I engage a loose/safety from the wheel well then torque down the main attachment bolt from the top once I drop the hitch in.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm currently running a Reese slider. What issues did you have? Mine works well.
I was just looking to get a new hitch with our new coach. My current hitch is 12 yrs old. Is your b&w a gooseneck mount?

My post above in response to BigDaddy should answer some of this. I think it's a goose neck type mount but I've never owned a goose neck so I'm not totally sure. I only have one mounting point in the middle of my bed as opposed to 4.

To be fair my Reese hitch was the cheapest I could find in a slider and I've heard they have different lines/prices/quality. The main problem I had was engaging the safety pin. I had to keep a rubber mallet in the bed and hammer the thing into place each time I used it. Also, getting the jaws to latch to a point where the pin could be inserted was a total PITA. The sliding was also super rough compared to my B/W. I was constantly afraid it was going to break free as it just never felt that secure when I switched positions. The B/W just feels like butter comparatively.

OP
OP
D

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My post above in response to BigDaddy should answer some of this. I think it's a goose neck type mount but I've never owned a goose neck so I'm not totally sure. I only have one mounting point in the middle of my bed as opposed to 4.

To be fair my Reese hitch was the cheapest I could find in a slider and I've heard they have different lines/prices/quality. The main problem I had was engaging the safety pin. I had to keep a rubber mallet in the bed and hammer the thing into place each time I used it. Also, getting the jaws to latch to a point where the pin could be inserted was a total PITA. The sliding was also super rough compared to my B/W. I was constantly afraid it was going to break free as it just never felt that secure when I switched positions. The B/W just feels like butter comparatively.

I've decided to go with the B&w companion slider. I have a turnover ball now, so it will just mount in the hole. There is a warranty issue with using the Andersen ..it has not been tested with Lippert, who makes most of the 5fh wheel frames. Lippert will not warranty any frame issues if they think it was caused by the hitch. Andersen has their own warranty, but I don't want the hassle if something would happen. Just got to find a nice used b&w now. The 1300 price tag us a little steep.

Schett

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
Cummings
I've used this hitch for 2 seasons now. I pull a 2015 Road Warrior, non 8 foot bed.

I originally had the hitch attachment set to allow maximum clearance, half way into the season I switched it. I can achieve a 90 degree turn.

Love the hitch. No bucking, chucking or mess. Articulates very well, we do a lot of boondock camping. I love my hitch.