Overloaded 2016 RAM 2500 - Effects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonrev321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hello,

I have a 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn. Will be pulling a 5th wheel. Once all calculations are taken into account, i.e. passengers, all tanks on truck and trailer full, all cargo in trailer and truck bed, etc. I will have a payload bringing me 500 lbs over the GVWR of 10,000.

Is this enough to trigger the overload function on the truck? I have heard that once triggered performance, including speed, is throttled

Is this 500lbs too far above the 10,000 to be considered save towing? Opinions please

Thanks

Rgds
nonrev

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hello,

I have a 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn. Will be pulling a 5th wheel. Once all calculations are taken into account, i.e. passengers, all tanks on truck and trailer full, all cargo in trailer and truck bed, etc. I will have a payload bringing me 500 lbs over the GVWR of 10,000.

Is this enough to trigger the overload function on the truck? I have heard that once triggered performance, including speed, is throttled

Is this 500lbs too far above the 10,000 to be considered save towing? Opinions please

Thanks

Rgds
nonrev
Overload function? I'm not aware that there is even such a thing. Where did you hear/read about this? Do you have rear airbags? Maybe something in that system? Interesting.

In your situation, I'd be more concerned with GCWR... are you over that?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What all is it that you are hauling, do you have airlift helper bags in the back?? are you rounding up on weight numbers as far as cargo goes???

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haven't heard of overload function eithe. I have heard of not being able to raise or lower the air suspension if you are to heavy.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mechanically you may be fine but I always worry about the liability factor. If you were in an accident, possibly not even your fault, if someone wants to poke far enough, they could make you liable for being negligent. Further, what if the accident leads to a death, now you face jail time and will most likely lose everything you have.

I'm not the moral police here, I just know that as I get older and the world gets more insane, you have to protect your butt.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
personally, i wouldn't do it. folks do all the time though, but that's on them. good luck

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Most don't run with all the tanks full.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
only overload function I know of is the air suspension will give you a warning.......

1) Don't travel with full tanks in the camper
2) move weight to the backside of the camper (past the wheels to offset tongue weight)
3) move stuff from the truck to the camper if possible

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
only overload function I know of is the air suspension will give you a warning.......

1) Don't travel with full tanks in the camper
2) move weight to the backside of the camper (past the wheels to offset tongue weight)
3) move stuff from the truck to the camper if possible

Be careful with number two... too much weight to the rear can cause excessive sway. At least it will in ball hitch campers, not sure about 5th wheels but I would think it's the same principal. If your not evenly distributing weight throughout, you tend to want to overload the front, not the rear.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Your 2500 will be just fine. Honestly, you could hit 16k and the truck would be fine. Any more and you'll have a lot of sway. Legally would be the problem. But with only 500 lbs over, don't worry as cops and insurance even if you got in an accident aren't going to bother you.

2500 vs 3500 The only big difference is wheel bearings and leafs. Everything else is similar.

3500 SRW vs DRW The only big difference is the rear axle and additional load bearing tires. DRW helps with sway as well.

I have a 3500 DRW and am purchasing a 42 5'er.

I've seen tons of 2500's pull just fine with large rigs up to 16k.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Axle weights are most important by far and you will likely be under on the rear by at least 500# (front should be fine as well).

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your 2500 will be just fine. Honestly, you could hit 16k and the truck would be fine. Any more and you'll have a lot of sway. Legally would be the problem. But with only 500 lbs over, don't worry as cops and insurance even if you got in an accident aren't going to bother you.

2500 vs 3500 The only big difference is wheel bearings and leafs. Everything else is similar.

3500 SRW vs DRW The only big difference is the rear axle and additional load bearing tires. DRW helps with sway as well.

I have a 3500 DRW and am purchasing a 42 5'er.

I've seen tons of 2500's pull just fine with large rigs up to 16k.

Good job, dude. You're telling him what he wants to hear, not what he needs time hear. Are you going to pay his new insurance premiums for him, too?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Good job, dude. You're telling him what he wants to hear, not what he needs time hear. Are you going to pay his new insurance premiums for him, too?
No, I think I'm telling him more of what its actually like, in the "real world" of towing. Not based on fear and speculation, and what salty dudes on the internet with a keyboard and little experience believe.

I'm basing this off your own words in your previous post in the towing section by the way:

"well this is my second truck but I've never actually towed anything". -Crispybacon

Thanks for your opinion though buddy. [emoji6]

Last edited:

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mechanically you may be fine but I always worry about the liability factor. If you were in an accident, possibly not even your fault, if someone wants to poke far enough, they could make you liable for being negligent. Further, what if the accident leads to a death, now you face jail time and will most likely lose everything you have.

I'm not the moral police here, I just know that as I get older and the world gets more insane, you have to protect your butt.

^^^^ This. If you get into an accident, regardless of the cause, your insurance company will use the fact that you were overloaded to deny coverage. And if there are injuries or deaths, there will be lots and lots of lawyers involved, and they will work very hard to find something they can use to make it your fault, even if it isn't. I speak from experience here.

Anything that involves lawyers or insurance companies requires the utmost care. Don't risk it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^^^ This. If you get into an accident, regardless of the cause, your insurance company will use the fact that you were overloaded to deny coverage. And if there are injuries or deaths, there will be lots and lots of lawyers involved, and they will work very hard to find something they can use to make it your fault, even if it isn't. I speak from experience here.

Anything that involves lawyers or insurance companies requires the utmost care. Don't risk it.
I'd be interested in more information about your experience here. I am sitting right beside a commercial insurance broker who said either that's complete BS, something specific to your insurance company, or you got taken to the cleaners.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have a degree in criminology. Part of my degree focused on Canadian law. Maybe things are different in the states, but here there's a separate division of traffic enforcement focused solely on commercial vehicles.

Basically, you do NOT want to tow overloaded here in Canada. Regardless of what my past towing experience is, the laws/penalties are severe enough here that you want to follow them.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Actually I am in Canada, which is why I am curious. Commercial and private are two totally different games... not that I agree with it, but it's the way it is.

I was just curious is all.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be careful with number two... too much weight to the rear can cause excessive sway. At least it will in ball hitch campers, not sure about 5th wheels but I would think it's the same principal. If your not evenly distributing weight throughout, you tend to want to overload the front, not the rear.

True, it can cause problems, especially with single axle trailers, but if he only needs to move 500 or so lbs, like was said in his post in the towing section, he should be able to do that and still maintain adequate tongue weight for decent towing with a dual axle trailer.

Also, 5th wheel & bumper pull do act differently due to the pivot point locations.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I am in Canada, which is why I am curious. Commercial and private are two totally different games... not that I agree with it, but it's the way it is.

I was just curious is all.

Bah - in the states any truck with out a "Shell" that does not be removed gets "comercial plates" - well at least in California- makes for expensive yearly registration fees-