Overloaded 2016 RAM 2500 - Effects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Can anyone find where someone was successfully sued for being over their Door Sticker payload? Doubt it.

After an accident, the opposing party or authorities would need to weigh the carnage to prove the overload condition. Good luck with that, ever seen a travel trailer crash? Not pretty. I think if the OP was pulling that trailer with a 1500 (ie grossly overloaded), that will probably result in legal action.

2500 Rams are down rated to meet the gov't spec 10k GVWR. Except for the coil spring rear, truck is identical to a 3500 axles, frame, powertrain all the same.

IMO, the OP should be most concerned with exceeding axle and tire ratings. And common sense thrown in for good measure.:favorites13:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can anyone find where someone was successfully sued for being over their Door Sticker payload? Doubt it.

In order for the question to be fair, you would need to include a reference to a searchable source and as far as I know, that doesn't exist for civil suits, at least not to us. Given the suit happy nature of this country, I betcha it has happened.

Some states, Florida being one of them, will charge you with a criminal (felony) action if you cause an accident that involves personal injury and you are over your GVWR.

The 3500's frame is different than the 2500s. The way the coils attach causes the frame to have a different shape.

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
In order for the question to be fair, you would need to include a reference to a searchable source and as far as I know, that doesn't exist for civil suits, at least not to us. Given the suit happy nature of this country, I betcha it has happened.

Some states, Florida being one of them, will charge you with a criminal (felony) action if you cause an accident that involves personal injury and you are over your GVWR.

The 3500's frame is different than the 2500s. The way the coils attach causes the frame to have a different shape.
I'm not sure about the newer trucks, but on 2012 and earlier, I dont believe that's correct.

Ive installed 5 lifts on 3x 2500's and 2x 3500's (one DRW) ranging from 3 to 8 inches of lift. All with leafs/no rear coils, and it was exactly the same. (Rear coils may be different, but In not sure.)

I even had a fleet manager explain the differences between the 2500 and 3500's and the frame was the same. Reason the 3500's are about $1000-2500 more than 2500's is bearings and leaf packs are different, and of the course the tow rating increase, which is all smoke and mirrors. [emoji1]

3500's bearings literally press into the brake rotor, 2500's press into the hub.

Ive attached pictures of my 3500 DRW front end when I replaced my outer U-joints a week ago.c2c28719a9d002d48c2f570bcae7e13b.jpgf7c1e21cdf7489a42d8af996686733f1.jpg

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Fair enough, I have not been able to find anything via extensive Google search.

Same 50ksi high strength steel fully boxed frame 2014+ (2013+ dually, though I am comparing SRW) much more frame bracketry on the current 2500 to support the 4 control arms, lateral link and anti sway bar. IMO the 2500 is a more stable on the road setup vs. leafs and 4 spring hangers.

Axles are same 2014+ (SRW) bearings included (full floating rear). 3 link front suspension is beefier as well than 2013 and older 4 link (and not death wobble prone, stock at least)

The 2014+ trucks are basically new, under the same body.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've always figured if there was any known/public case law about overloaded private RV accidents it would be quoted 1000X a day all over the internet - kind of like the Moss/Magneson thing with chips and warranty coverage.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2500 Front Three link and rotor:

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

2500 Rear 4 link and rotor(forgot about the anti axle wrap shock):

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

My sticker payload is 3200 lbs :favorites13:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
^^^^ This. If you get into an accident, regardless of the cause, your insurance company will use the fact that you were overloaded to deny coverage. And if there are injuries or deaths, there will be lots and lots of lawyers involved, and they will work very hard to find something they can use to make it your fault, even if it isn't. I speak from experience here.

Anything that involves lawyers or insurance companies requires the utmost care. Don't risk it.
Nonsense. Insurance companies cover drunk drivers every day. Are you telling me that a drunk driver is covered, therefore NOT negligent, but a privately owned vehicle that is 75 lbs over an arbitrary number IS negligent?

Get out of town... That is preposterous and another example of a false narrative on the internet.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Your GVWR is whatever you pay to register it to be. You can register a 2500 for 12,500 if you want too, which is the exact combination of my front and rear axle ratings. Now you are perfectly legal to drive that truck.

Yes, TECHNICALLY speaking, the 2500 and 3500 frame are different because of the way the suspension attaches to the frame. However, the frame design, steel PSI, load ratings, etc are all the same across the HD line.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your GVWR is whatever you pay to register it to be. You can register a 2500 for 12,500 if you want too, which is the exact combination of my front and rear axle ratings. Now you are perfectly legal to drive that truck.

Yes, TECHNICALLY speaking, the 2500 and 3500 frame are different because of the way the suspension attaches to the frame. However, the frame design, steel PSI, load ratings, etc are all the same across the HD line.

That is simply not true. if it were, I could register my 1500 @ 26,000 lbs, and we all know that ain't happening.

I tried to register my 79 Ramcharger (see avatar) as a 1 ton truck, since it had all 1 ton running gear and suspension.

They would not let me without me paying to have everything recertified by a testing agency, even though I had all paperwork & part numbers to prove the parts were what I said they were.

The recertification would have cost over 4x what the truck was worth when brand new....

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Probably varies a lot by state. In ND they have you register it for much more than it weighs automatically and number is just a little more than the factory rating. I want to say my Ram is around 10500 even though mine came with 3.55s and actual was around 9200 I believe but legally I know you can say I want to register for more around here to prevent being legally overloaded. We are pretty rural so for the most part if personal and not commercial you can do what you want including towing a boat behind a 5th wheel camper.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Oh, so the same frames and drive train.... Why didn't someone say so, that makes it the same as a 3500, hell why not a 5500 or maybe a 7500... maybe we can just call it a kenworth W900.

OP, you know the answer as your asking the question looking for approval. Your the one going to pay the price, how much are you willing to risk??

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Oh, so the same frames and drive train.... Why didn't someone say so, that makes it the same as a 3500, hell why not a 5500 or maybe a 7500... maybe we can just call it a kenworth W900.

OP, you know the answer as your asking the question looking for approval. Your the one going to pay the price, how much are you willing to risk??
Chill man, he asked a question.

If you have nothing positive to add to the discussion but sarcasm and finger-pointing, why are you posting?

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Oh a question, so how did it include lift kits, 3500's and wheel bearings?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm not sure about the newer trucks, but on 2012 and earlier, I dont believe that's correct.

Really, this thread is about a 2016 2500 as are the thread's comments. So you come in blasting away sighting your experiences on 2012 and earlier models.

Unbelievable.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
IMO bottom line, the OP doesn't need to worry about going 500 lbs over on his 2016 2500. His truck won't implode, he won't be arrested, he won't be sued in an accident (provided he's not at fault). It will not damage his truck. He is well under his axle and tire ratings.

But stuff like this sells trucks. Do we see a new 3500 Cummins Dually with Aisin trans and 4.10 gears in OPs future? I do believe you can't have too much truck with all this being said. My trailer is at the limit for a 1500, and actually my 3.6L could tow it in a pinch, but I use the 2500. :cheers:

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Really, this thread is about a 2016 2500 as are the thread's comments. So you come in blasting away sighting your experiences on 2012 and earlier models.

Unbelievable.
Seriously? Where did I blast anything? I was giving my factual experience to help in identifying truth vs opinion. I didn't come guns blazing or anything. Geez bud, enjoy your Saturday.

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That is simply not true. if it were, I could register my 1500 @ 26,000 lbs, and we all know that ain't happening.

I tried to register my 79 Ramcharger (see avatar) as a 1 ton truck, since it had all 1 ton running gear and suspension.

They would not let me without me paying to have everything recertified by a testing agency, even though I had all paperwork & part numbers to prove the parts were what I said they were.

The recertification would have cost over 4x what the truck was worth when brand new....
So... it simply IS true, but you weren't willing to pay the cost that your state requires. Every state is different. Maryland will let you register for whatever weight you want, it just costs more.

My 2010 Tundra had a 7200 lbs GVWR from the manufacturer. Maryland has 7000 lbs class and 10,000 lbs class. I already had a relatively low payload in my Tundra and didn't want to sacrifice an additional 200 lbs, so I paid extra for the 10,000 lbs registration. It cost a little more each year to go up to that class. The end result was PERFECTLY LEGAL to 10,000 lbs.

Every state is different and hits you with different costs, but my end statement is still 100% true and I appreciate you confirming my comments when you tried to say I was wrong.