Payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me try explaining this backwards;

This is one of the worst case scenarios if you pretend like "payload isn't real".

Calculating payload from GVWR as has been claimed is correct;
3027+2175 (weights empty tank) +166 (avg human) = 5368 base weight = 1532 payload =6900 GVW

Possible axle load in this configuration;
2175 (RAW empty tank) + 83 (half an average human) 1532+220 (leverage of a pallet)= 4010 RAW OVERWEIGHT

Now, lets do the same but respecting the "fake" payload.

The real way GVWR is calculated is like this weight + payload = GVWR, you can see that clear as day here;
3127+2275 (weights full tank, as that's worst case when respectingpayload) + 1500 (human included) = 6900 GVW​

The same worst case scenario for rear axle load while respecting payload values;
2260 (base) + 1417 (payload -half human (83#) + 200 (leverage of a pallet)= 3877​

IT'S A MIRACLE When you respect payload, even in a worst case scenario, you don't overload your axle. When you pretend "payload is fake" you can overload your axle. :flipthebird:

Is this an extreme example? Yes, that's the point, ratings are determined by extremes. This obviously is not exactly how they do it, but it gives you a good approximation and understanding.

Is this an amazing coincidence?

OR

Is it simply just the forgone conclusion when you realize GVWR is derived from maximum safe payload not the other way around, as being claimed.

Now that it's clear to anyone but a child the two supporting statements I made are true, how about we go back to the original point. Which is yillbs said payload is "fake" and does not appear on the ratings stickers. And that's 100% false, regardless of how you feel about these two supporting statements.

You have to keep in mind payload isn't real. Payload is a PR number used to tell customers how much they can haul in the bed of the pickup.

A payload is not, under any circumstances a legal anything, payload is not posted on a sticker anywhere, and it's not listed on any websites, period, it can't be. You either don't understand math, or how measurements work, or both.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
average weight for American women in 2010 at 166.2 pounds, The average weight for men 195.5 pounds,

So technically an average weight for a licensed driver would be 180.85 pounds
:love51:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me try explaining this backwards;

This is one of the worst case scenarios if you pretend like "payload isn't real".

Calculating payload from GVWR as has been claimed is correct;
3027+2175 (weights empty tank) +166 (avg human) = 5368 base weight = 1532 payload =6900 GVW

Possible axle load in this configuration;
2175 (RAW empty tank) + 83 (half an average human) 1532+220 (leverage of a pallet)= 4010 RAW OVERWEIGHT

Now, lets do the same but respecting the "fake" payload.

The real way GVWR is calculated is like this weight + payload = GVWR, you can see that clear as day here;
3127+2275 (weights full tank, as that's worst case when respectingpayload) + 1500 (human included) = 6900 GVW​

The same worst case scenario for rear axle load while respecting payload values;
2260 (base) + 1417 (payload -half human (83#) + 200 (leverage of a pallet)= 3877​

IT'S A MIRACLE When you respect payload, even in a worst case scenario, you don't overload your axle. When you pretend "payload is fake" you can overload your axle. :flipthebird:

Is this an extreme example? Yes, that's the point, ratings are determined by extremes. This obviously is not exactly how they do it, but it gives you a good approximation and understanding.

Is this an amazing coincidence?

OR

Is it simply just the forgone conclusion when you realize GVWR is derived from maximum safe payload not the other way around, as being claimed.

Now that it's clear to anyone but a child the two supporting statements I made are true, how about we go back to the original point. Which is yillbs said payload is "fake" and does not appear on the ratings stickers. And that's 100% false, regardless of how you feel about these two supporting statements.

Payload is fake. Ram says it in the brochure, and on the towing charts, it says it's estimated, and rounded up. you can get the payload doing the exact same math you just did, but we don't because that's not how it's calculated, you can't exceed RAWR while going over GVWR using the weight limitations imposed by the manufacturer. If you start to lower the weight of the truck, then sure, you could, but you don't lower the weight of the truck, if you do, not only does your payload change, but so does everything else, curb weight, axle weight, etc. The only time payload modifies itself is when weight is ADDED, because payload defines how much something weighs, not how much something can weigh.

Here is the definition of Payload : the part of a vehicle's load, especially an aircraft's, from which revenue is derived; passengers and cargo.
It defines the load, not what the load could possibly be. When I am flying, they don't ask me how much my payload is going to weigh, just like they don't ask how much my cargo might weigh in the future, i'm heavy with a payload of ***.
Moreover, again.... ram says payload is an estimate, I'll take the manufacturer over what you think pretty much any day :( sorry

Last edited:

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
average weight for American women in 2010 at 166.2 pounds, The average weight for men 195.5 pounds,

So technically an average weight for a licensed driver would be 180.85 pounds
:love51:

I just went with the first google hit, it really doesn't make a difference. Want me to change it just for you?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow, just wow........WTF......I can't even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram says payload is an estimate, I'll take the manufacturer over what you think pretty much any day :( sorry

It says it's an "estimate" in the brochures you're reading because it's different for every single car, that's why it's on the sticker you claim doesn't exist... On every single car, specific to that exact car. Because it's an important actual thing.

If you start to lower the weight of the truck, then sure, you could, but you don't lower the weight of the truck, if you do, not only does your payload change, but so does everything else, curb weight, axle weight, etc.

This is an example of why I only respond to small portions of your replies. You spit this out, but it was accounted for, you don't even realize that. Regardless of that, it's irrelevant to the facts. Payload is real and on every vehicles sticker.

You have to keep in mind payload isn't real. Payload is a PR number used to tell customers how much they can haul in the bed of the pickup.

A payload is not, under any circumstances a legal anything, payload is not posted on a sticker anywhere, and it's not listed on any websites, period, it can't be. You either don't understand math, or how measurements work, or both.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
What is sod?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Stormtroopers of Death (also known as S.O.D.) was an American crossover thrash band formed in New York City in 1985. They are credited as being among the first bands to fuse hardcore punk with thrash metal, affectionately named thrashcore into a style sometimes referred to as crossover thrash, and is also known for reuniting Anthrax members Scott Ian (guitars) and Charlie Benante (drums) with their former bassist Dan Lilker. The song "Milano Mosh" from their 1985 debut album, Speak English or Die, was the Headbanger's Ball intro anthem for many years.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stormtroopers of Death (also known as S.O.D.) was an American crossover thrash band formed in New York City in 1985. They are credited as being among the first bands to fuse hardcore punk with thrash metal, affectionately named thrashcore into a style sometimes referred to as crossover thrash, and is also known for reuniting Anthrax members Scott Ian (guitars) and Charlie Benante (drums) with their former bassist Dan Lilker. The song "Milano Mosh" from their 1985 debut album, Speak English or Die, was the Headbanger's Ball intro anthem for many years.

I'm almost 30 and i've never heard thrash metal. :puke: