Payload and Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texascab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am new to Dodge trucks (switched over from a F250) and now have a 2006 Ram 1500 megacab. from what I understand this is a 3/4 ton chassis with pretty much all the same configuration that the ram 2500 comes with besides the towing and payload capacity.

Is there any way that I could just swap out the current leaf springs in the rear for say the springs off of a 2500 or 3500 to increase capacity?

I would appreciate y'alls advice

noclass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's only shy 1 leaf on the rear from the 2500

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
to answer your question...no.

Doing that would give you more capacity, but legally, no matter what you do, the way it was built from the factory is the limit you must abide by or risk problems if anything happens.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Agreed.
What you're asking is akin to adding air bags and adding that "extra capacity" they advertise to the existing truck's capacity(or adding a CAI, exhaust system and other go-fast parts and cumulatively adding up the "HP increases" of each piece. It doesn't work that way.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
What they said... the rear axle is also smaller than the 2500. I believe you have the AAM 10.5 where the 2500 and 3500s have the AAM 11.5 rear ends.

GETARAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
also half ton rams are coil springs in the rear not leafs. air bags will stiffen up the ride and reduce squat but you cannot increase capacity anyway. I think mega cabs tow the as they weigh the most... depends on what you are doing with it I suppose

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also half ton rams are coil springs in the rear not leafs. air bags will stiffen up the ride and reduce squat but you cannot increase capacity anyway. I think mega cabs tow the as they weigh the most... depends on what you are doing with it I suppose

His is '06/3rd Gen- they were all leaf spring,IIRC. 1500s didn't get coil spring rear until '09/4th Gen

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Besides the legal issues, I believe you would have to do more then just swap out the leaf springs. Its possible that the axle housing and supports are different. I don't know for sure but what if the axle's are different, they wouldn't be able to support as much weight safely. How much more hauling capacity do you need? If your looking for an extra 2-300 pounds then I think you'll be fine upgrading the leafs and shocks. However, if your looking to get 1 ton in the back of your rig on a regular basis... Perhaps you should upgrade trucks? Either way, Good luck!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Besides the legal issues, I believe you would have to do more then just swap out the leaf springs. Its possible that the axle housing and supports are different. I don't know for sure but what if the axle's are different, they wouldn't be able to support as much weight safely. How much more hauling capacity do you need? If your looking for an extra 2-300 pounds then I think you'll be fine upgrading the leafs and shocks. However, if your looking to get 1 ton in the back of your rig on a regular basis... Perhaps you should upgrade trucks? Either way, Good luck!

The axles would be the exact same as a 2500 with the 5.7.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you can add every part under the sun to make the truck tow better, but there is nothing you can do to increase the tow capacity on the truck. what it leaves the factory with is what it is forever.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can add every part under the sun to make the truck tow better, but there is nothing you can do to increase the tow capacity on the truck. what it leaves the factory with is what it is forever.

^^^^This. Buying a 2500 is the only way to increase your 1500's payload.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know others have said it the rating of the truck won't change from a legal standpoint but logically you could indeed increase the trucks ability to handle the load which is why the 2500 would have had a higher rating in the first place. Understand that you will be able to safely haul and do what the 2500 could do for the most part but you will still be technically illegal if they ever challenged it and you were over your trucks rating. I think you have to do what you feel comfortable doing as long as you can safely do it you will likely never have any repercussions from beefing it up.