Payload vs Chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h2oboy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have always owned a Chevy but am looking to upgrade and very impressed by everything about the Ram. My only hesitation is what appears to be about a 500 pound lower payload. I can't find specifics on the Chevy payload for a loaded one (similar to Crew Cab 4x4 Laramie). Anyway, I am not looking to load the truck everyday but do often tow about a 5000 pound boat or a 7500 pound camper (less than 75 miles). The tow rating looks to be able to handle this with ease with the 3.92 rear end. Should I have reservations about the Ram? I don't want to be going down the road with the back end sagging due to tongue weight of the trailer. The air suspension seems like a good option just not sure about the longevity of it. I plan to keep this truck for 6+ years. Any personal input would be appreciated. I have read the topic about what you have towed with your 1500 and I see many pulling campers and boats with no problem so maybe I am concerned due to over analysis!!

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i think you maybe over analyzing things... the air suspension is a nice option, and dont see it messing up anytime soon.

air suspensions have been around for a good while actually.

3.92 gears will tow whatever you need. Im running 3.55's and tow small trailers with no problems.

I used to be a chevy guy too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have had 3 modern Chevy's and they don't had a candle to my Hemi. I would pass on the air ride and opt for the coil over only if you were that worried about it. I'm guessing you are looking at the 2500+, you shouldn't have any issues other then fighting off all the babes that will no doubt be chasing your ram :)

OP
OP
H

h2oboy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Actually looking at the 1500 because this would be my daily driver and just towing on the weekends seasonally.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Drive the Hemi and the Chevy, nuff said. the weakest part of the Ram is same as always, the transmission. I hear the 2013/14 has a much better transmission, but I drive around in tow haul mode all the time so my transmission shifts just fine. When it comes to engines Ram is number one, you can't beat the hemi or the Cummins. With the new coil over suspension, the Ram is an easy pick. I think with 7500 pound trailer you wont have any issues, if I am wrong you can always put some heavy duty bilsteins for the back shock. My last 3 Chevy's have all had stinky air conditioners that could not be fixed and smelt like dirty socks and I won a lemon law case on the Avalanche for the suspension. I think comparing Ford to Dodge would be closer the Chevy to dodge. Only if Ram had the Allison transmission, there wouldn't ever be any question who makes the best truck then, but you have to give it to chevy for the trans. I carry a 3/4 yard of dirt all the time and always wet it so it doesn't blow around, and you can't even tell if you look at the suspension. Could carry a lot more if it would fit, but I get 3/4's in my short bed, easily over 2k pounds.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You should be good unless you are this guy.

overloaded-truck-300x193.jpg

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
While it's pretty awesome, I would also pass on the air ride, just too much to go wrong. Just get yourself a $100 pair of airride bags to go in your rear coil springs, and you'll be good to go on whatever you need to tow.

...as long as it's not as much as that guy^ :waytogo:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rear end will sag some, unless you use a WD hitch. My camper (6000 lbs) makes mine sag slightly, but with the WD hitch, I can level the truck and it tows it around just fine without any aftermarket bags in the rear.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any sag you encounter is more than worth it for the ride quality. If you're uncomfortable with the sag like the others said, and sub-$100 set of Airlift 1000's fixes that right up (*they don't increase any capacities, but remove all sag and help with sway)
We never drove a Ford when truck shopping, and the Chev's cheap interior, lack of power and poor ride quality cinched the deal to a RAM. I'm really not a truck guy but I love our RAM.

Nce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is my 1500 loaded to capacity, actually a little more than that.

I have ordered heavy duty springs and a 1.5 spacer on order for the rear and bilsteins to level the front. I prefer the ram over the competition at this time so I don't mind spending the $400. It'll also enable me to wast more money on wheels and 35's as they'll fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 119

Nce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I load the bed and tow my bikes for a race weekend. It looks as below. I have the bed of the truck full of tools, camping gear, tires etc. the truck handles the 400-500 round trip with no issues and can still haul ass on the highway when needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 72

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is my 2011 with 1300 pounds of mulch in it. handled no problem, with limited sag while carrying the weight. at the time only had a 2.5inch level kit and 35's

Attachments

• 20130703_102835.jpg
    20130703_102835.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20130703_102822.jpg
    20130703_102822.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 60

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When they engineered the Ram 1500 they took into consideration its unparalleled stylish looks. They came to the conclusion that these trucks would not need the extra payload because the ugly ass Ford and Chevy trucks would attract all the fat chicks and leave the hotties for us. That has been my experience anyway.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When they engineered the Ram 1500 they took into consideration its unparalleled stylish looks. They came to the conclusion that these trucks would not need the extra payload because the ugly ass Ford and Chevy trucks would attract all the fat chicks and leave the hotties for us. That has been my experience anyway.

Actually I think it was more that they figured most of these trucks will never see anything in the bed with amy weight too it ao they figured payload capacity wasnt a priority. Go down the expressway for a little while during camping season. Look at all of the GM and Ford half tons pulling 5th wheels and Travel Trailers. Now try and find one Dodge half ton pulling a 5th wheel. I love the power of my ram bit the payload capacity cripples it to the point wjere it isn't as useful as a truck ad the others. I was just looking up the specs for my truck. The payload capacity of my wifes 2014 Grand Cherokee is higher than my ram. How sad is that?

MusclezMarinara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Crew 1500
Drive the Hemi and the Chevy, nuff said. the weakest part of the Ram is same as always, the transmission. I hear the 2013/14 has a much better transmission, but I drive around in tow haul mode all the time so my transmission shifts just fine. When it comes to engines Ram is number one, you can't beat the hemi or the Cummins. With the new coil over suspension, the Ram is an easy pick. I think with 7500 pound trailer you wont have any issues, if I am wrong you can always put some heavy duty bilsteins for the back shock. My last 3 Chevy's have all had stinky air conditioners that could not be fixed and smelt like dirty socks and I won a lemon law case on the Avalanche for the suspension. I think comparing Ford to Dodge would be closer the Chevy to dodge. Only if Ram had the Allison transmission, there wouldn't ever be any question who makes the best truck then, but you have to give it to chevy for the trans. I carry a 3/4 yard of dirt all the time and always wet it so it doesn't blow around, and you can't even tell if you look at the suspension. Could carry a lot more if it would fit, but I get 3/4's in my short bed, easily over 2k pounds.

The 6 speed vs 8 speed I have both 6 speed on my express and the 8 on my slt I must say HUGE DIFFERENCE ! 8 speed is phenomenal my buddy has a 2013 silverado and it looks like a little ***** next to my rigs ;)

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I think it was more that they figured most of these trucks will never see anything in the bed with amy weight too it ao they figured payload capacity wasnt a priority. Go down the expressway for a little while during camping season. Look at all of the GM and Ford half tons pulling 5th wheels and Travel Trailers. Now try and find one Dodge half ton pulling a 5th wheel. I love the power of my ram bit the payload capacity cripples it to the point wjere it isn't as useful as a truck ad the others. I was just looking up the specs for my truck. The payload capacity of my wifes 2014 Grand Cherokee is higher than my ram. How sad is that?

I don't haul anything major that my Ram couldn't handle. If I was hauling stuff on a regular basis I would have bought a 2500 CTD. With that being said. I also have a cabin so I have no need to pull a 5th wheel. Lots of 1500's pull trailers. Have you seen some of the things these guys have hauled or pulled with a 1500? Chexk out the numerous threads in the towing/hauling section.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just this weekend- 320lbs snowblower in the bed, big toolbox, ramps, extra fuel, shovels, 3 big guys in the cab, and a 2800lbs trailer (plus whatever the framing and lumber weighs to build up the walls to catch snow) then the added weight of all the snow we piled in. No bags just a plain hitch. I was really surprised. Figured I'd be dragging my ass, but it was fine considering my payload is an anemic 1000lbs.

I came from an F150. Their payload numbers are optomistic. You can load it to cap, but you're banging off the bump stops and it wallows around like a big, fat, pig. Only after I added a leaf and changed out the shocks did I feel comfortable putting the capacity in it.

I wonder how much the Ford payload will dive when they switch away from the fully boxed frame in 2015?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't haul anything major that my Ram couldn't handle. If I was hauling stuff on a regular basis I would have bought a 2500 CTD. With that being said. I also have a cabin so I have no need to pull a 5th wheel. Lots of 1500's pull trailers. Have you seen some of the things these guys have hauled or pulled with a 1500? Chexk out the numerous threads in the towing/hauling section.

I'm not saying select people don't haul things with their 1500 rams, I'm talking about the general population. You see a lot more Fords and GMs pulling heavy loads than Rams. But that is just the places I go in Michigan, it could be different in other parts of the country.
It's the same as problems people have with vehicles, they will come on forums and complain. People who are having zero issues rarely come on the forum and talk about how good their truck is. The people who are on this forum are a lot more likely to tow something or drag race or actually use their truck than the general population does. I am just noting observations I have made. I have NEVER seen a 4th Gen 1500 ram pulling a 5th wheel.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not saying select people don't haul things with their 1500 rams, I'm talking about the general population. You see a lot more Fords and GMs pulling heavy loads than Rams. But that is just the places I go in Michigan, it could be different in other parts of the country.
It's the same as problems people have with vehicles, they will come on forums and complain. People who are having zero issues rarely come on the forum and talk about how good their truck is. The people who are on this forum are a lot more likely to tow something or drag race or actually use their truck than the general population does. I am just noting observations I have made. I have NEVER seen a 4th Gen 1500 ram pulling a 5th wheel.

1 of many out there.......

Attachments

• Camping_Rig006 (1).jpg
    Camping_Rig006 (1).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 982