PW Tradesman Car Trailer Tow Question\s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xdamageincx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT8 HEMI
I have almost no experience towing but am in need of some info.
I understand that the Power Wagon has a reduced Tow Capacity but I am guessing it is negligible in regard to a small vehicle trailer.

I am towing my 2000 323i e46 from NW Ohio to Martinsburg, WV - ish in a few weeks and need to know if:
The Height of the ball hitch I need in regard to the trailer- what is the spec.
Is the trailer hitch adjustable on the car carier and if so, how much?
U-Haul had no idea and suggested the web lol.

I took some pictures for reference of the truck and the prospective rental trailer:
IMG_20161206_130948239_zpstpwamnxa.jpg
IMG_20161206_130939039_zpsisboys4y.jpg
IMG_20161206_130928610_HDR_zpsf8rf8brz.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
IIRC, the U-Haul car trailer hitch is about 18" high and it is not adjustable. If you don't already have a drop receiver/ball hitch, buy one from U-Haul when you pick the trailer up, they'll check the size you need. You'll nose high until the car is on the trailer, it's ok if your slightly nose high once it's loaded.

OP
OP
xdamageincx

xdamageincx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT8 HEMI
Those buggers said my rig could tow a plane or lawnmower...
They had no idea about anything at all. They saw my tow rig and said...you need to google that lmao.
I bought this today although overkill...it will do everything my truck can do 2x although I preferred 10% over capacity but it would have been 40% of the price anyway.
I'm thinking I'll leave it on and pull anything I can and still leave the tow strap rig on.
The only downside is ground clearance and then I'll take it off and replace it with the strap rig.
Right?
Https://genyhitch.com/store/33
I did get the little ball too just to make sure it all will grab everything.
Over engineered but I'm an engineer lmao, no?

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those uhaul car haulers have an insane amount of tongue weight. . Keep your ball height higher than if you were towing an ordinary loaded trailer.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't really know much about the PW or how reduced of a towing capacity it has but if it's anywhere near what other 2500s have you'll be fine (it is a 2500, right?). Just ballpark guessing the car is 5000# and the trailer is 2000#? Even with 15% on the tongue (high end of most bumper pull trailers) you're only at about half of the truck's payload (1/3 of my 2500 non-PW Ram).

So, really the only thing you should need to worry about is the height of your ball and the trailer. If you don't have a lift kit it should line up pretty nicely with a very small drop-down. The one you link seems a bit excessive.... and definitely expensive. I did this through Uhaul once and they didn't like my ball and shank so they made me buy one of theirs for $80. I still have it and would gladly trade it for a case of beer but you're in Ohio and I'm in Oregon so that doesn't help :)

I'd try to swing into another Uhaul if you have time and see if you can get someone a bit more helpful. This isn't rocket science and you're not the first person with these questions. Bottom line is I'm 99% sure you plenty of truck and the hitch thing should be a no-brainer... likely with a part you can get at Uhaul for less than $100.

:favorites13:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The adjustable hitch you purchased will work for sure. It's a bit of overkill but it will do the job.

Now all you have to do is put it in and adjust the height so that the trailer is a bit nose high when unloaded. Once you put the car on the trailer you can hook up the trailer, then check the trailer hitch height and level. You might end up unhitching and adjusting the height of the hitch ball.

The weight won't be an issue for your truck. You are well under the max tow weight with your described load.

When towing just slow down, swing a bit wider than you normally would taking turns and adjust your mirrors before you head down the road.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Way overkill on the hitch, but you'll be fine! try to get it about 2" high unloaded as thats about what she'll squat with the weight of the car on there.

Make sure to check and double check the tire straps on the u haul... and make sure you hook up your safety chains front and rear.. the truck will have no issue towing that load

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow that uhaul is rated at 55mph thats kinda slow for even a trailer. just like MADDOG said take it a little slower and turn a little wider and you'll be just fine your truck has the can do for that job 8 ways to sunday. be safe and watch out for stupid drivers out there.

OP
OP
xdamageincx

xdamageincx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT8 HEMI
Way overkill on the hitch, but you'll be fine! try to get it about 2" high unloaded as thats about what she'll squat with the weight of the car on there.

Make sure to check and double check the tire straps on the u haul... and make sure you hook up your safety chains front and rear.. the truck will have no issue towing that load
The damn tire strap came completely off one side the last 2 miles! I don't know how but you are right about that.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I worked at uhaul through high school and college and our rule of thumb was always about knee high for the ball. Knee high on an average man lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963