Rambos Fifthwheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tgallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Rambox Fifthwheel

Last year I installed a Reese Elite Airborne Sidewinder on my FW to accommodate the Ramboxes on my then new truck. Being how you cannot get the factory fifth wheel prep pucks in a Rambox, I decided to keep using my B&W companion that attaches to my gooseneck hole. Of course B&W states not to do this. We towed quite a bit last year without any issues. We have a 40' FW that is 10k empty. I really love my new truck. I've always been a Cummins guy. This is my first gasser since 1998. I ordered it with the Rambox, cargo cam, keyless entry, air ride, and 4.10 gears. I got pretty much everything I could get without the sunroof option.
Even though the B&W and Sidewinder combo worked great, I just couldn't get comfortable towing knowing that B&W showed concern about the combo. I finally stumbled across a factory kit you can purchase that installs the fifth wheel prep package on trucks that weren't built with them. I decided to check and see if mine had the mounting holes and it did. I ordered and installed the kit last. I'm very excited. The install was painless. Two hours start to finish. The instructions say to lift the bed and remove the spare. I did neither.
Now I'm going to order the B&W base that will fit my new pucks and tow worry free. I'm going to post a few pics. Please let me know if you have questions. I hope this helps someone that might be in my situation.

Thanks.

OP
OP
T

Tgallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Two pucks installed...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
T

Tgallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All four installed..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
T

Tgallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Part numbers...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 66

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nice, I thought about this but my truck already had the holes drilled for the ISR when I bought it so I just stuck with them. Actually debating between the Pullrite 2900 and a Sidewinder now. My only concern is if the trailer was built to handle the added twisting force of the pin box caused by the sidewinder.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Can you blow up the part number pic or post the part number up here?

OP
OP
T

Tgallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The part number is 82213980-AB. This will get you the fifth wheel prep pack only, not the gooseneck. There is a different kit for that. I originally had a different part number I got off of the internet but my dealer said it changed. He just looking it up under a 2016 2500 and came up with this kit. It has the four hole covers and trim pieces included.

As far as the fifth wheel being able to handle the twisting, I don't foresee any issues there. I really think the gooseneck ball style companion would have been fine also, but I like having this added security.

I really like the sidewinder. It tows and backs great. The biggest plus is being able to stack items in the bed around the hitch without worrying about hitting them when turning.

If someone knows how to edit my thread title, I would like To change the Rambos to Rambox.

Thanks...

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I added the factory pucks to my 3500. Simple job.

Just be aware, the 2500 and 3500 take a different kit, different part #.

OP
OP
T

Tgallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm. Picking up my new B&W base tomorrow that goes with the puck system. I will be taking my fifth wheel in for an inspection Saturday. Will post some pics...

OP
OP
T

Tgallagher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Rear shot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg