RAMmers! What would you do? Help Wanted...!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My wife, family and I are going on a 6 mo. camping trip around the United States and we have a 24' travel trailer. (too small.) Currently, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie w/ tow package, airbags etc... I am looking at getting a 30 to 36' travel trailer which weigh in around 6,500lbs to 8,500lbs and I am considering on trading in for a 2013 2500... but do I really need to?

The reason I bought this RAM was because the tow rating was pretty good for a 1/2 ton. The wheel base seems to be the same as the 2500 and with a class IV hitch, tow package etc... I don't see why it would have any issues pulling a 36' 11" trailer that weighs in at 8,500 loaded... Thoughts?

I'd prefer not to have to trade for a 2500 but if I do, I'll prob just get a tradesman so I don't lose much on the trade...

Decisions, Decisions... What would you do? I'm in a pickle! Love my 1500..

OP
OP
C

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here are some more specs... Sorry I left out a few...

2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie
Gears: 3:92
Class IV Hitch
Max Tow Package
Airbags
WD Hitch

Am I missing anything else important?

crash8308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
since the weight is within the rated tow weight of the truck I wouldn't trade it in unless you have problems towing the trailer. If you trade it in for the 2500 you probably will pick up gas mileage while towing an have an easier time towing.

try towing it first, then if you feel uncomfortable towing it with the 1500, if you are going to keep the trailer, then trade it in.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I agree with the above. The only other thing I would consider is how often you tow. If you have the trailer out every other weekend, the 2500 might be a good option for you, otherwise your assessment with the 1500 seems sound.

OP
OP
C

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great, thanks for the feedback. As far as towing, I tow a lot but not necessary the travel trailer, I also have my CDL so as far as driving safely and knowing the laws, I am pretty well informed.

We are going to be on the road with this particular travel trailer for about a month at a time but there's going to be little drive time along that trip.

I setup a test tow early this afternoon so I'll be sure to let you know how the 1500 does.

OP
OP
C

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
(p.s. the reason I mentioned the CDL thing is because I noticed a lot of other truck forums shot down 1500's for towing this large of a trailer because the drivers had less experience with towing big items safely.)

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
All the driving experience in the world won't help when a 37' long trailer gets to bullwhiping on a steep downhill and yanks that little 1/2 ton around until its wadded up in a pile.
I've seen it countless times in my 23 years of traveling cross country year round.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Great, thanks for the feedback. As far as towing, I tow a lot but not necessary the travel trailer, I also have my CDL so as far as driving safely and knowing the laws, I am pretty well informed.

We are going to be on the road with this particular travel trailer for about a month at a time but there's going to be little drive time along that trip.

I setup a test tow early this afternoon so I'll be sure to let you know how the 1500 does.

I say stay with the 1500. Give us an update on the test tow when you get done. Im curious to see what your thoughts are on the 1500.

erie_one

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 laramie 4x4 quad cab
Engine
hemi
8500lbs loaded seams light for a travel trailer that size? If that is fact, you should have no problem with your set up. A 2500 gasser will not get any better mileage towing. BUT they will offer stability (think Tires, suspension,) and better stopping power should the trailer brakes ever fail for some reason. The new half tons have gobs of power, much, much better braking and transmissions than even say 8-10 years ago. With all that being said, a properly equipped half ton will handle that weight no problem. The one thing I see most often is exceeding the tongue weight on the half tons. Hit the scales before you do the test drive, then hit them again with the trailer behind you. You will be shocked to see the real world weights vs. what the stickers say.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the driving experience in the world won't help when a 37' long trailer gets to bullwhiping on a steep downhill and yanks that little 1/2 ton around until its wadded up in a pile.
I've seen it countless times in my 23 years of traveling cross country year round.

Same would probably happen with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton short bed since it's only about 7" longer although they weigh more and have a heavier duty suspension

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I've never seen a wadded up 3/4 ton....seen many 1/2 tons though.
Suspension and tires are everything with a heavy load...the 1/2 tons just don't have it where it counts....they're MUCH easier to get upset and not be able to recover.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unbroken is not kidding. Our 32' (35.5' overall) pulled our truck all over the road last fall. I've invested $900 into the best hitch I can find short of a Propride/Hensley ($3K+) and am hoping that does the trick; will find out in the next couple weeks.
It's not all about weight; I'd say more than 29' is too much for a half ton. I don't really have the option of trading in the truck so I either have to make this work with the hitch & sway control (Reese dual cam) or look seriously at the trailer.
These trucks have too much power for their own good with respect to towing.
EDIT- out Passport 3220BH is 6500lb dry, haven't weighed it loaded yet.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
A 37' trailer on a 1/2 ton with a 30mph broadside wind gust is a recipe for disaster....that's a fact.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I think knowing how to drive intelligently here is the most important factor, especially since it is within rated towing capacity, and not towed all that often. I once almost wadded up a 3/4 ton, and a smaller bumper pull after some ********* loaded my trailer, and my boss wouldn't let me re-organize it because, "we don't have time to re-load it." We ended up re-loading it about 3 miles down the road by hand.

If you get strong cross winds, then slow down. That size of a parachute will throw any little truck around regardless of 3/4, 1/2, 1 ton capacity in the right conditions. Also, a smart driver, like a smart gun owner never trusts a safety mechanism, and drives with the expectation of failure on the part of mechanical components. Electric brakes get hot on hills so you learn to drive more slowly, and engine brake. You always leave more than adequate following distances, etc.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
a 36ft trailer that weighs 8500lbs loaded? thats an awfully light trailer for it being that big.

A 37' trailer on a 1/2 ton with a 30mph broadside wind gust is a recipe for disaster....that's a fact.

im going to have to agree with this. regardless of the weight, its still a huge trailer for a half ton. i dont think i would feel safe with it. anything bigger than 30 ft trailer that your going to be pulling regularly, you need to step your truck up.

jimdd810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's not how much you can pull its how much you can stop. I'd go with the 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a 36ft trailer that weighs 8500lbs loaded? thats an awfully light trailer for it being that big.

im going to have to agree with this. regardless of the weight, its still a huge trailer for a half ton. i dont think i would feel safe with it. anything bigger than 30 ft trailer that your going to be pulling regularly, you need to step your truck up.

The length/weight ratio is a big part of the problem IMO. It's not a dense, heavy load; "parachute" is pretty accurate. It's like towing a giant inflatable balloon; it gets affected by every bump, anything of size passing you, wind, etc etc etc.
That's why the weight tow rating of the truck is misleading, but most trailer salesmen will label almost anything "half ton towable" these days because the factory ratings are so high.

OP
OP
C

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for all the great feedback. I took my baby ram on the test tow and it did quite a bit better than I expected. I hooked up my WDH and hit a few freeways here in Colorado, we've had some pretty bad winds and it didn't feel much different than my 24' did. My friend has a 13' 2500 so if I get it, we'll hook his up and see what the difference is on the open road. So far, so good though. Thanks.

OP
OP
C

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The length/weight ratio is a big part of the problem IMO. It's not a dense, heavy load; "parachute" is pretty accurate. It's like towing a giant inflatable balloon; it gets affected by every bump, anything of size passing you, wind, etc etc etc.
That's why the weight tow rating of the truck is misleading, but most trailer salesmen will label almost anything "half ton towable" these days because the factory ratings are so high.

I agree, still did decent though. I think if I do get it, I'll be sure to steer clear from Wyoming and I should be okay ;).