RAMmers! What would you do? Help Wanted...!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here's the official verdict. I've been putting this off a lot but today I decided to do a test pull in my 1500 with the 37' trailer and simply put... I was amazed... Today, we have around 30-35mph gusts and the trailer handled like a dream... in fact, it seemed to handle better in wind then my 24' Aerolite did. The truck had very little squat and still had impressive power for pulling a 7,500+lb trailer.

I took the trailer around on the city streets then jumped in the highway up I-70 into the Evergreen, CO area. Between the hills and the steep passes, it actually felt really good. I'm used to pulling big trailers and I am really impressed with the 2013 Ram 1500. I traded down from a 2012 Ram 3500 because I do a lot of city driving and it was too much of a truck for what I needed back then...

Here's a pic just after I returned it to the lot to drop my deposit...

300bhslkodiak.jpg

p.s. My 1500 is equipped with every towing feature you can get. I don't recommend pulling this trailer with the basics, but the RAM did live up to its towing on this one...!

OP
OP
C

coloradan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Okay... so quick update... I decided to upgrade to a 2013 Ram 2500 and I must admit, though the baby RAM did well for how small it was, it doesn't compare to how well my new 2500 pulls this thing... Amazing difference... I took this trailer out a half a dozen times with the 1500 and pulling on the highway with a WDH and dual sway control was still, scary... photo_zps4a7ebc27.jpg

No sway at all with the 2500.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smart move IMO. As a member of the driving public, thank you fpr spending the money to do the right thing. It's not just weight, but length we have to consider. 37' is ridiculous for a 1/2 ton; I'm pushing it with our 32'.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO, that's way to much trailer for a 1500, especially one with a nice soft quad coil suspension.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
My wife, family and I are going on a 6 mo. camping trip around the United States and we have a 24' travel trailer. (too small.) Currently, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie w/ tow package, airbags etc...

The reason I bought this RAM was because the tow rating was pretty good for a 1/2 ton. The wheel base seems to be the same as the 2500 and with a class IV hitch, tow package etc... I don't see why it would have any issues pulling a 36' 11" trailer that weighs in at 8,500 loaded... Thoughts?

Decisions, Decisions... What would you do? I'm in a pickle! Love my 1500..

I am confused by most all of your post as I read through this.

I have done 2 road trips like what you are proposing to tour the USA,my first in 1978 3 months 26 states, congrats for you, much to see and do here in the USA.

Some people have never seen most of the USA,and travel abroad, that I will never understand.

See the US first you family will always have those memories.

For safety for your family, towing big trailer I would want a dully for stability and the safety of having duals in case of blow out at hwy speeds!!!

A fifth wheel trailer would be the only way to go when going that big.

The diesel will definitely get better mileage than a gas engine with no problems pulling the big mtns in the USA!

Luvin my Cummins in my 2500HD that I use for my business.

Highly recommend the diesel because of engine braking,no brainer when towing as big as you are going,it will save a couple of sets of brake pads and rotors.

A dually will save you some of those "white knuckle moments",and I am sure you will still have a couple of "white knuckle moments" even with more truck in front of a big ass trailer you won't have to clean out your "draws" as much.:gr_grin::gr_grin::gr_grin:

There are idiots on the hwys,defensive driving is definitely a must when towing big.

When you are done traveling the USA in a few years,I am sure you can sell a dually and not loose much resale and go back to smaller truck.

I am all most positive you will not want to go back smaller after having driven a dually for traveling that many miles though.

Look forward to seeing some of your pics of your travels.

Happy trails and safe journeys!

Regards
Don

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Good Thread, Like Audio said a 32 footer is Max IMO. Mine is 32 feet plus another 2 feet in front, It is 6855 Dry and has the New CRE suspension Technology (Keystone Vantage). I am going out this weekend for the first big trip. I have spent extra Time and Money this year since spring on parts including Proper Tires to ready the Truck for safe Towing of my rig. No big Hills where i plan to go and My only future concern is the Wind Gusts that we get here which can be trickey for even a dually set-up. My Tongue Wt is 1,000 Lbs and I have no squat or requirement for Airbags du to the rear suspension parts i installed, but that said I think I will Upgrade the Hitch to a class 5 so i am not sitting on the max (I use 1200 Lb bars and receiver).

Good choice on the Upgrade, as those kodiaks are Heavy. Happy Trails.

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That is a bunch of trailer you have there. I am sure you are much happier with the 2500. I can't wait to take our new 2500 out with the camper for the first time here in a few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good on you Coloradan. Camping is about fun and making memories for your family. Not having funerals for them. Now go enjoy that big trip of yours and post up pics. Maybe you could do a little blog about your adventures.