Rancho RS900XL issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bimmerdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone,
Coming here looking for some help, I purchased some Rancho RS900xl shocks for my truck and installed them and the Airlift bags at the same time. The first set of shocks developed a noise within a day on one side, I contacted Rancho and started the rma process. I've now swapped 3 shocks in less than 1,000 miles and the sound persists. It sounds like it's coming from the top Mount, more of a clunk when the shock is rebounding. I've tried with 0PSI in the bags upto 40PSI all that changes is a little squeek from the bags.

If I jump on the bumper there is no clunk but if I push up from the bottom of the truck it can be heard.

The bottom bolt is torqued to 155ftlb and the top to 45ftlb per Rancho. It's a 4 wheel drive 2013 Ram.

I'm at my wits end with the shocks, I wish I saved my OE shocks at this point. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong.

Thank you guys for your time

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi everyone,
Coming here looking for some help, I purchased some Rancho RS900xl shocks for my truck and installed them and the Airlift bags at the same time. The first set of shocks developed a noise within a day on one side, I contacted Rancho and started the rma process. I've now swapped 3 shocks in less than 1,000 miles and the sound persists. It sounds like it's coming from the top Mount, more of a clunk when the shock is rebounding. I've tried with 0PSI in the bags upto 40PSI all that changes is a little squeek from the bags.

If I jump on the bumper there is no clunk but if I push up from the bottom of the truck it can be heard.

The bottom bolt is torqued to 155ftlb and the top to 45ftlb per Rancho. It's a 4 wheel drive 2013 Ram.

I'm at my wits end with the shocks, I wish I saved my OE shocks at this point. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong.

Thank you guys for your time

OK- I am throwing things out here. First, and I mean NO disrespect as I don't know whether you called them in or ordered online or what- did you get the right ones for sure? Some guys take offence to this question quickly- so none meant.

Second, look inside that rubber boot. Mine were horrible for collecting all manner of road "****" in there and it eventually got to the point that I had to cut a larger drain hole in the boot. Sometimes it only took a day or two in winter before they were squeeking and driving me nuts before I cut that larger drain hole.

The clunk when you push up on the truck sounds like they're over extending though, so that falls back to question 1. Also, maybe adjust the valve to it's softest point, then do a few compression and extension cycles and then stiffen them up again. I always ran mine as stiff as I could.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Also check the bushings. You may need to give them a little lube.

OP
OP
B

Bimmerdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's funny you say that because that is the same thought I had. I first checked on the website and after the 2nd shock called them. They say that RS999367 is the correct shock for a 1500 4wheel drive without air ride.

The sound really does sound like it is over extending, but so far all of the shocks that have come off have been so easy to compress that I question the quality.

I lubed the bushings with copper lube like I do for all urethane bushings, but the sound doesn't seem to be bushing squek.

I will check under the boot after our lovely weather warms up, but it hasn't so much as rained to pick up debris.

Thank you guys for your time!

OP
OP
B

Bimmerdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got off the phone with Rancho, The shock bolts have to be torqued with a load according to them now. I will give it a try I guess.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Maybe related, maybe not. I had the same problem on a 2008 Titan. Turned out to be sway bar bushings. Check those bushings as well as link bushings.

also, if your old shocks were just worn out they could have had very little rebound damping which would hide a bad ball joint. So, check your ball joints as well. My 2013 with 81k on it needed upper ball joints.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like the shocks are not defective. What are the odds that you've received 3 defective shocks? Its either something wrong with the install or its not the shocks at all.

You need to compress the shock several inches (3"+) just to to install them. So unless you're able to nearly lift the truck off the ground by lifting on the rear bumper, I doubt its that.

If possible place your hand on the shock body someone tries to push up on the bed and see if you you feel the clunking noise. If there is something going on with it inside the shock, you'll definitely feel it.

I am placing my bet on the shocks and install were done correctly and you've got something else going on under there...... (but I am assuming you did not install them 3x wrong)