Rear Springs Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So I see a lot of people mentioning air bags for the rear after a leveling kit has been installed so hauling doesn't sag the rear. What about different spring ratings? I previously had a '12 Jeep Wrangler and Jeep makes different springs for heavier vehicles. Does Ram do the same? Could a stiffer spring supply a slight lift in the rear AND add strength for hauling without the need for air bags?

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Then u would lose the superior ride quality that our trucks possess. With bags u could have the adjustability / load carrying capabilities AND the ride. Best of both worlds. And they are probably alot cheaper, too (the air bags). Springs would be pretty expensive I'm sure and harder to install. Bags just slip in.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. With 5-psi in the $100 bags you can't hardly tell they're there. With 30psi you can max your payload and it might just sit level, and REALLY helps control sway.
Heavier springs could never provide that kind of adjustability. I just love my Airlift bags. I was NOT a believer in bag technology, but am a complete convert based solely on personal experience.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks for the info. This is really helpful.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry- forgot to include this earlier; if you have your heart set on heavier springs (or if that really would work best for your application) they are available.
Products - TUFTRUCK

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
Give the bags a try. Worst that can happen is you don't like them and all it cost is $100.00 bucks and 1 to 2 hours of time. Like its been said low psi and stock ride 30 psi for heavy loads and a lot in between. I love mine and have to say best mod so far.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm not one to haul, but having the ability to made me curious about that option. I think I'll have to look into these sometime in the future. Would it be easy to have an OBA system installed to control the psi in the bags at any given time?

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
For me it was hard to justify the extra cost for OBA. I have it set to 10 psi most of the time and only add a few times a year. I have a portable 12 volt air compressor for that when needed.