Rear Sway bar upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its a much better bar and as soon as you start driving on it you notice the improvement.
Glad I did it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to swap mine out for a Hellwig, the factory one is hollow.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a nice unit! Being hollow alone doesn't make an anti-sway bar a 'weak' bar, it's just moving the torsional forces further from the center which increases efficiency, but also saving weight (~40%), mfgr costs and fuel economy. Kind of why I-beams are "I-shaped" instead of a solid bar like a heavy railroad rail. I marveled at my truck's hollow front anti-sway bar when I first noticed it. It represents a high level of manufacturing capability and expensive tooling to make a hollow one like they do, although the rears look like they're just pinched at the ends. The same results can be achieved with hollow or solid. My brother and I used to make heavy-duty anti-sway bars for cars when we were young. It's fun to play around with the different diameters and end-lengths. It always amazes me the weak and impotent anti-sway bars on cars of the 60's! You can take a wollowy boat of a car and with the right tuning turn it into a slot racer. Of course, with a truck or SUV, it's a compromise between good on-road handling and off-road wheel articulation. Heavy anti-sway bars are counter productive on back 40 trails or Moab excursions. But that's only a small portion of most people's driving -- if at all for some.

I need to add a stronger rear anti-sway for one of my top-heavy SUV's that's got a ton of oversteer. Did the new sway bar make your RAM more prone to understeer, or not that much?

Does Chrysler offer any kind of an Active-Handling product like GM's computer controlled magnetic fluid shocks?

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What did everyone pay for theirs? Found it for $211 with Prime shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine was a little over $300 Canadian shipped. Went with the factory recommendation outer hole, will try that and adjust as required.bbad07b06a4d50a8c032427c93a8216c.jpg362fa03a9e455438a1abd1a970014567.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Found mine on ebay for $175.

It does steer different now, for me its alittle better. When I leveled my truck and had the dealer do the alignment and they showed me they set it back to factory specs but it has allways been twitchy or very touchy to steering imput and when I get new tires I am going to have the tire shop do the alignment again and see if they can fix it.
But the sway bar seemed to calm that twitch some it steers better I think now.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I didn't notice any change in steering. Just that the truck doesn't roll as much during cornering and the rear axle feels more planted going over bumps.

OP
OP
S

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't notice any change in steering. Just that the truck doesn't roll as much during cornering and the rear axle feels more planted going over bumps.
Same here. No steering change, just less roll.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk