Recovery/tow strap recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been reading some threads on recovery and tow straps. I'm not too familiar with them and which brands are good, etc. I was wondering if anyone could give me some good brands they would recommend.

I would be using it for only "emergency" situations such as pulling out a stuck vehicle such as a car or another truck. I'm wanting to get a 30' 30,000lb rated one so I can use it on say, another half ton truck if i really needed to.

From my understanding, tow straps are more elastic than recovery straps and so when using a recovery strap, it should be done so from a dead stop and not with any momentum, such as a rolling start, correct?

I've been looking at this recovery strap just as an example and reading the reviews. Any thoughts? Or what would you recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-CC...qid=1454946240&sr=8-2&keywords=recovery+strap

Also, here is a picture of my set up in the back:

d6c022490324ef80871bebed66353ed0.jpg

I have the ball and hitch in the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If I'm not mistaken I believe a true recovery strap should be more elastic than a tow strap. But I have a 30 ft 30,000lb stap similar to the one you posted a link to and I got mine from homedepot for similar price and I can tell you that you won't break that strap with your truck no matter what you are trying to pull out. I have pulled out trees, bushes and a 1/2 ton Chevy and the strap didn't even break a sweat. With a strap you have posted a link to the way to use it is to pull tight and put it in 4 lo and go slow if you back it up and get running start your just going to break ****. I watched a 3/4 ton 2wd do that to the Chevy I pulled out ( on icey road ) and it nearly pulled him into the ditch. I hooked up put it in 4lo and barley and to hit the gas and pulled him right out

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll probably have to check out home depot too and see what they have. I've read that a lot of people on here have gotten straps from home depot. So do not get a running start with a recovery strap?

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a really nice heavy duty recovery strap for a good price at Tractor supply co. 60k rated I believe (it's been a few years ago). And correct, do not get a running start. Take up the slack in the strap carefully and once you have good tension you can give it a tug.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm also skeptical on hooking the strap up to my receiver. Should I get one with hooks and hook it on to the two loops on the side or go right through the middle of the receiver where the hitch is supposed to go?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have that same Smittybilt strap in my kit, but never had to use it. I suggest you also get 2 D-Ring.

You get what you pay for they say with the Smittybilt, in my case it's just for emergency so if it work only one time I'll be happy. Not willing to spend 300$ CAD on a Bubba Rope...

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I buy those straps from bomgaars for less.... I've only broke one it was a 2" and it got cut that's why it broke... They do strectch but you'll find a lot of time just pulling on it isn't gonna get stuff out. They will take getting ****** on and not break... Some times a couple good snaps will break the vehicle free and then pull it out..... I have like 4 of them, I've pulled loaded semis out with that same strap..

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I'm also skeptical on hooking the strap up to my receiver. Should I get one with hooks and hook it on to the two loops on the side or go right through the middle of the receiver where the hitch is supposed to go?

I feed it though the hitch pin up inside the reciver i use to just hook it over the ball but herd bad story's and move to the hitch pin plenty strong and wouldn't be much of a projectile being wrapped up in the strap if it did let go.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've also heard of throwing a jacket or sweatshirt on the line in the event it breaks it will keep the rope from flying up. Not sure how valid that is though.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I use an ARB Snatch Strap. I have 1 of the 24,000lb straps and 1 of the 33,000lb straps. The 3" 24,000lb strap is more than enough for what you are going to pull out with your 1500. I havent used the 4" 33,000lb strap since I sold my diesel.

ARB Snatch Strap 24,000lb (ARB710)

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll probably end up getting two of the same recovery straps to be safe.

I'll most likely stop at home depot tomorrow and see what they have. Couldnt hurt to have one recovery strap and one snatch strap if I need to have momentum when pulling someone or something out?

I'll keep the above mentioned snatch strap in mind as well, thank you

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I've also heard of throwing a jacket or sweatshirt on the line in the event it breaks it will keep the rope from flying up. Not sure how valid that is though.

Usually it's a heavy blanket and it's for chains and steel cables ( usually in winches ) the straps won't have much momentum. If a chain breaks it will do a lot of damage so a heavy blanket or big jacket will help slow it down.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tow straps are usually made from a low stretch material such as polyester. You DO NOT want to use a tow strap as a snatch strap. They do not store and release energy like a snatch strap does.

Snatch or recovery ropes/straps will be made from Nylon.

Here are several articles I wrote for a friend at Central Overland....

Kris Casey, Author at Central Overland

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
if you can keep the strap tight, your own body weight in the middle of the strap, will exert a nearly infinite amount of force on the "stuck" (but still moveable)vehicle. It's kind of a freak of geometry and physics. Try it sometime and you'll see what I mean. Might come in handy someday, when you don't have access to a winch or tow vehicle.

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That made no sense to me

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does anyone remember who posted the video of the ******* that got the running start backwards with the straps on his tow hooks? That would be so appropriate here. Still gives me the giggles.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Does anyone remember who posted the video of the ******* that got the running start backwards with the straps on his tow hooks? That would be so appropriate here. Still gives me the giggles.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Wasent there a ranger involed in that video? Seems like I remember seeing it.