RV Travel Trailer Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Was heading out and got to the end of the road and almost no trailer brakes! Fun stuff. The truck stopped it ok but I was not about to proceed.

I had to fix all 4 of the brakes... the morons either at the MFG or at the Dealer put what seems like a tube of grease in each wheel assembly!

Each Wheel, my trailer has 4 of them.
$40 for the brake/magnet assembly
$3 for the rear seal
$3.99 for the Red Grease\
$~10 in miscellaneous
$8365 in gas to clean all the excess grease from everywhere!

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Happens when people use the grease fitting in the end of the axle instead of hand packing the bearings. If they over grease them it pushed the grease past the rear seal and into the brakes.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happens when people use the grease fitting in the end of the axle instead of hand packing the bearings. If they over grease them it pushed the grease past the rear seal and into the brakes.

Yup, there were a couple of engineers at Dexter and other axle manufacturers thinking "How can we make people's life more miserable ? Here's an idea, put grease fittings on the end of the axle and call it EZ-lube .... ".

Actually the problem is not using the fittings, but using them incorrectly. Pressurized grease guns are a no-no on those, but if you use an old school hand operated one and don't try to get the job done in 20 seconds they work well. If done correctly, the grease comes out the front and does not push past the seal.

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold

Oh I get that... I know how these things work. They put so much grease in there it pushed dagum spring out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye