For the second time, I jack knifed my trailer into the side of my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are very helpful. Dont have to lower the tailgate to see exactly whats going on with a small trailer or boat.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tow mirrors folded out, you can see everything you need to with a trailer, here is what i see out of mine, with these you wpuld know long before you crush a quarter panel

3409e8d86f7505f4081d64afb8f84f6b.jpg

Were those aftermarket or Ram branded? ...and if aftermarket, which brand?

thanks

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Tow mirrors folded out, you can see everything you need to with a trailer, here is what i see out of mine, with these you wpuld know long before you crush a quarter panel

3409e8d86f7505f4081d64afb8f84f6b.jpg

Wish you would have let that 12v Cummins in your mirror catch up. Woulda been a better photo haha.

Agree with everyone else OP. Practice makes perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Wish you would have let that 12v Cummins in your mirror catch up. Woulda been a better photo haha.

Agree with everyone else OP. Practice makes perfect.

thats pretty freaking funny right there!

that was actually after hurricane harvey hit here and that was a chemical plant blowing up like 5 miles away from me :crazy:

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

that was actually after hurricane harvey hit here and that was a chemical plant blowing up like 5 miles away from me :crazy:

Ah....the rest of the story.

Guess you're lucky that the chemical plant wasn't catching up with you.

I did take my truck by the body shop that repaired the first jack knife and they said that its fairly normal for people to do this with low trailers.

Now deciding whether to get one of the ready made devices or to fabricate something.

I really like the trailer mirrors but havn't you guys tried to park next to another truck that also has those mirrors? Come real close to playing tag.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I did take my truck by the body shop that repaired the first jack knife and they said that its fairly normal for people to do this with low trailers.

When backing up a trailer, it is what's in front of you, it is your most important concern. If you can't see the trailer stop and find it.
If you can't see the side of your truck in your mirrors, they are adjusted too far out. The truck should be just visable when sitting all the way back in the seat.
With trailers(short ones especially) once it is angles far enough to hit the tow vehicle, you've pretty much lost all forward/backwards movement, your only moving the tongue side to side. Pull forward, straighten out and try again.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

Now deciding whether to get one of the ready made devices or to fabricate something.

I really like the trailer mirrors but havn't you guys tried to park next to another truck that also has those mirrors? Come real close to playing tag.

The mirrors fold down to a fairly normal size, and you flip em up lile that when towing, i put em on all my trucks, but on my 3/4 ton i leave em up, personal preference on that truck, you get used to driving with em up if thats your choice, and you just pay more attention when driving lol

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Oh wow. Glad you made it out.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have them on my 1500, and if I think parking is tight, I just fold them in when I leave.

it would be nice to have power fold, especially in the rain, but it is what it is.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am probably weird I prefer to not use my mirrors. If I look back I am naturally very good at backing trailers. If I use the mirrors I have to really focus and use the bottom of the wheel to do it. I don't know why but always been better at seeing it vs using the mirrors. Since I am only a class D driver it works fine for me. Pros out there with Class A probably would laugh at me. Clean record though and I travel a couple thousand miles a month.

I grew up on a farm & was always hanging my head out the drivers window or looking out the back window. When I started driving big trucks I had to change that habit quick. Now I am so used to it & all I use is my mirrors, even in my pickup. It's really hard to get used to when you've done it the other way for so many years.

GabAlmighty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I grew up on a farm & was always hanging my head out the drivers window or looking out the back window. When I started driving big trucks I had to change that habit quick. Now I am so used to it & all I use is my mirrors, even in my pickup. It's really hard to get used to when you've done it the other way for so many years.

I still stick my head out the window when backing up a rig, especially when i'm low bedding in really weird situations. Still use the mirror as well, just not as much as when i'm just backing a dry van into a dock.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Shorter the tongue, the harder it is to back. I'll take a 50 ft. trailer over an 8 ft utility any day and I've been driving commercial since Reagan

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Tdjma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take your trailer in and have another axle added to it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Less is more. Very small corrections on the wheel.

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shorter the tongue, the harder it is to back. I'll take a 50 ft. trailer over an 8 ft utility any day and I've been driving commercial since Reagan

I've got an extension (connects to the truck end of the hitch) that's probably a foot long that I could add. Is that enough to matter on a 10 foot utility trailer?

Is the concept that it's a little more difficult to maneuver when you back the trailer up but that also keeps you out of trouble?

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you add length to the trailer, it would help maneuvering the trailer. Adding to the truck hitch would give you a little more clearance maybe..