Shocker Hitch - Anyone ever used one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, done quite a bit of towing over the years. Anything over 3000 lbs in a 1/2 ton or 5000 lbs in a 3/4 ton and it gets a WDH. As for unhitching when backing up, I have a Blue Ox setup and I don't have to unhitch at all to backup. Most of the ones that do is more to do with the friction sway control then anything.

Putin that load on the hitch pulls the front end down. As it was stated above, the WDH moves that weight back forward and helps put it on front wheels. You have to think of the rear axle as a pivot point. Putting weight on top of that just pushes the rear down, that's about it. Putting weight on the hitch pivots that weight down and pulls the front up pivoting at the rear axle. That is why the WDH helps to fix it.

Dubstep Shep, I have never seen a truck have the rear tires lifted off the ground by a WDH and it have seen some steep transitions before. I think if that was happening it obviously is setup way wrong but serious damage to the truck and/ or the trailer would have occurred.

I sometimes see folks out there towing heavy trailers without a WDH, I usually slow down or pull off to get away from them. That is a bad accident waiting to happen. They may have been doing it for years without an issue but eventually the tide is going to turn.

Matt, based on the weight you are describing, I would recommend a WDH. The airbags may help but as has already been stated the load isn't right and it is trying to tell you that. The WDH will help move the total load at the rear and move it across the whole truck. Remember the pivot I talked about above, the bouncing is a perfect example of what is happening there.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great post hunter99

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Check out the link below...

Receiver Air Hitch

This is a hitch with a built in airbag to absorb any bumps from the truck or the trailer. When puling my regular cab, the ride is pretty bouncy, so I am looking to not only step up to a better set of bags on the truck itself, but am considering adding this hitch as well. Has anyone here used one before?

Yes Matt I have owned one for about 4 years. I really like it. It is rated for 12000 lbs if I recall. More than my 1500 is even rated for. I have used to haul a camper in a pinch and it did well even though it was probably supposed to be towed with WDH. It is made very well in Arthur, ND so I like the local touch too. I bought mine right from the guy in the picture on the site because my tire guy is friends with him.

Here are some examples of what I use it for. I have airlift bags in all the situations as well except the one.

47899cfbc2b0525761eb2fb08f1b7525.jpg
c68d1881ba304e7db4a1a114d5ebf44e.jpg
25c289abc43885c3d739548ed2efbba1.jpg
When I towed this tractor I had a blown bag so in this pic I am just stock coils.0e42534e85c9d6219404c96fdbb7b56d.jpg
66d20c105e8af83ca9b13f30766fca72.jpg

Last edited: