Single axle tent trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys as the name says I have some quesitons if anyone uses tent trailers. 1. Are they good or should i just look at travel trailers??
2. how fast can i pull a single axle trailer i.e. are the tires only rated for 55?
3. they price for the tent trailers im looking at are about 7.5k for an 06 is that a fair price???

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
They are great if you don't mind not having a bathroom and can deal with a little noise. They are a HUGE upgrade from sleeping on the ground, offer plenty of comforts with a bed, AC/heat, kitchen, etc. I grew up in a pop-up camper and loved it. We have 3 yappy dogs now, so we needed a hard sided trailer to keep them from hearing every passing noise and ferociously yapping at it. Pop-ups take a little more work though. They aren't as easy to set up, take more time to tear down. If it rains while you are camping, you gotta open it up and let it dry our thoroughly when you get home.

Check the tires on each trailer. Most trailer tires are rated to 65. I have a 2015 Jayco that has tires speed rated to 75. Pop-ups tow so much more easily than a 5er or travel trailer though. Your fuel mileage will be substantially better.

The price depends on the brand, model, features and condition. A nice condition 2006 with a water heater, fridge, newer tires, etc could easily be worth $7500. Then again, it it is dirty or stained, has rips or tears, older tires, no water heater, broken AC, etc then its worth closer to $1500 in my mind.

Good luck though. Our family LOVES camping. We've been camping as a family since 2005, on our second camper now. So far this year, we've been Florida/Charleston/Savannah, to the lake twice so far, have 2 trips planned to the ocean, another trip planned to the lake, going to Amish country in PA, Gettysburg PA, hoping to get to NYC later this fall and probably a couple other trips in between. Its a great escape, especially if you own the camper. You've already made the big investment in those vacations... all you gotta do now is use it! The more you go, the cheaper each trip costs!!!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I went through this last year with the wife. she really wanted a pop up trailer. I took me a year to talk her into a small travel trailer. She' s so much happier - she actually admitted she would have been wrong if she insisted on the pop up.

They're more comfortable, secure . price was not much more that a pop up as we got a new one from a liquidator for Jayco. 19 ft trailer for $11000.

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I paid less than that for a 2008 20' travel trailer..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I you think there is even a slight chance you'd like a travel trailer just skip the tent trailer. A TT just offers so much more of everything. Lot's depends on what you're looking at but my initial reaction is $7500 for a 10 year old tent trailer sounds like a lot.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recently traded in a 7 yr old 24 TT. Only got 6500 for it. They asked 8k on the resale. Lots of low use TT's to be had..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have no opinion on that model trailer but I would look at a small TT before I bought one of them.

Though it depends on your camping needs.

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
great info guys my woman is the same way she much rather have a tent trailer than a travel trailer, but i personally like the travel trailer just do to having more room, from what ive seen on these tent trailers is lightweight, more beds. the negative is its a tent so no ac or heat, and this tent trailer has a toilet so it must be a luxury tent lol. but im still on the fence but the replies are always appriciated

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
the negative is its a tent so no ac or heat, and this tent trailer has a toilet so it must be a luxury tent lol. but im still on the fence but the replies are always appriciated
Pop ups usually have AC and heat. I'm surprised that you have a toilet and no AC...

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
great info guys my woman is the same way she much rather have a tent trailer than a travel trailer, but i personally like the travel trailer just do to having more room, from what ive seen on these tent trailers is lightweight, more beds. the negative is its a tent so no ac or heat, and this tent trailer has a toilet so it must be a luxury tent lol. but im still on the fence but the replies are always appriciated

Rent one of each then decide what you want to pull and use.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Rent one of each then decide what you want to pull and use.

I was going to recommend something similar. I was going to say go to the RV shops and do SEVERAL walk throughs of both pop ups and TTs. Start with small TTs, like 16 or 19 ft models so they're comparable. look at prices and point out amenities. stress the somewhat better security against wildlife.

despite my opinion favoring TTs, I know a pop up is a step up from tent camping, but as I get older and towards my glamping years, the TT is more my speed. OP, if you have young kids, they might prefer the pop ups. For some reason it always seem like younger kids find pop up campers more fun. something to consider.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had 2 previous pop ups. They are a step up from tent camping but a lot of work. I finally sold my last pop as my kids outgrew it. I think for the money a tt may be a better investment. Especially if you have a vehicle that can tow it. Pop ups are too flimsy and you cant pack much in them. Very easy to tow though.