Slide-in Camper and 1500, no go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didn't even think a slide-in camper would be an issue with the 1500. I saw Tacomas and Dakotas with them all the time and thought nothing of it. So when we went truck shopping I didn't even have that in mind. My lack of research caught up with me and apparently only 3/4 ton trucks are allowed to carry slide-in campers. Meaning the 2500 series and up.

There are the pop-up type style that fit in the truck bed but they are really small, most sleep 3 people, I need one that sleeps 4. On that note the 1500 can carry 1600lbs in the back. Even these small pop-ups weight in at about 1100-1600lbs. Add 2 adults, 2 kids and we'd hit the 1600lbs mark and thats without gear, etc we bring along.

After some thinking I'm going for a tent trailer. They cost about the same, there is more room, most sleep 5 which is plenty and towing it is no problem for the 1500. Also, with that solution we won't have to carry everything with us when doing day trip from the campsite(s).

If my thinking above is off, any other solutions from members here would be great.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can get some nice hybrids that will play well with your payload rating too. Maybe check some of those out? If you're happy with a tent trailer, then by all means, your logic is sound, but with 1600lbs payload available, you can have a pretty decent trailer on there to sleep 4 with the tongue weight you could handle. Our older JayFeather sleeps 8 with a 535lbs tongue weight :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can get some nice hybrids that will play well with your payload rating too. Maybe check some of those out? If you're happy with a tent trailer, then by all means, your logic is sound, but with 1600lbs payload available, you can have a pretty decent trailer on there to sleep 4 with the tongue weight you could handle. Our older JayFeather sleeps 8 with a 535lbs tongue weight :)

Thanks for that info. By hybrids you mean brands like Palomino and Northstar? As those pop-up slide-ins appear to weigh too much.

Funny thing is a 2012 2500 spec'd similar to my 1500 is going for $3000 more at a different dealership. Too late to go for it now. It doesn't diminish the fact that I still like my 1500 though ;-)

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for that info. By hybrids you mean brands like Palomino and Northstar? As those pop-up slide-ins appear to weigh too much.

Funny thing is a 2012 2500 spec'd similar to my 1500 is going for $3000 more at a different dealership. Too late to go for it now. It doesn't diminish the fact that I still like my 1500 though ;-)

Something like this for example...

Floorplans | Travel Star Expandable | Light Weight | Starcraft RV

Basically it's a hardwall with pop out "tent" beds. I was seriously considering one until I found a great deal on my JayFeather. They are really nice, really light, and plenty of room for what you would need. Price wise- definitely more than a tent trailer, but I guess what you want to spend depends on what you want for an experience. I went the route I did because of the 3 girls in my family that are very opposed to all things outdoors... icky bugs.:rofl:

I looked at a 2500 too- way larger price difference though. Our TT is 5900 full load. Pretty sure the 1500 will pull it fine. Our F150 did.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I towed a hybrid trail cruiser by R Vision for years with my old truck an F150 great little trailer 25ft long. about 4500 lbs empty I think 5700 lbs loaded. The F150 towed it fine, so your 1500 should have no problem. Only problem was with the hybrid, we found that sleeping in the hybrid was damp all the time as it is in a tent trailer. the rest of the trailer would be warm and dry but your sleeping area was cold and damp. We had the hybrid for 6 years and had alot of fun with it but we(wife) grew tired of the dampness every night. bought a bigger truck and now moving on to a biggers non hybrid trailer.

Thaylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I towed a hybrid trail cruiser by R Vision for years with my old truck an F150 great little trailer 25ft long. about 4500 lbs empty I think 5700 lbs loaded. The F150 towed it fine, so your 1500 should have no problem. Only problem was with the hybrid, we found that sleeping in the hybrid was damp all the time as it is in a tent trailer. the rest of the trailer would be warm and dry but your sleeping area was cold and damp. We had the hybrid for 6 years and had alot of fun with it but we(wife) grew tired of the dampness every night. bought a bigger truck and now moving on to a biggers non hybrid trailer.

I will also confirm the dampness, and cold of the bunk ends in a Hybrid Trailer. We bought the Kodiak Express single axle hybrid and it weighs 3100lbs. But the condensation in the bunk ends requires daily drying. It even was "raining" inside with so much moisture on the canvas, and standing water under the mattresses. We tried everything from opening all windows, running fans, heaters, AC Units, finally we just told our two girls to stop breathing. That seemed to be the only thing that worked. We never had this issue with our previous Tent Trailer, only the Hybrid. Do your research on Hybrids. It's known issue that no manufacture is talking about, and the only thing that seems to help is having heated mattresses. We will be upgrading to a full travel trailer with motored slide outs, no more canvas ends for us.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I will also confirm the dampness, and cold of the bunk ends in a Hybrid Trailer. We bought the Kodiak Express single axle hybrid and it weighs 3100lbs. But the condensation in the bunk ends requires daily drying. It even was "raining" inside with so much moisture on the canvas, and standing water under the mattresses. We tried everything from opening all windows, running fans, heaters, AC Units, finally we just told our two girls to stop breathing. That seemed to be the only thing that worked. We never had this issue with our previous Tent Trailer, only the Hybrid. Do your research on Hybrids. It's known issue that no manufacture is talking about, and the only thing that seems to help is having heated mattresses. We will be upgrading to a full travel trailer with motored slide outs, no more canvas ends for us.

Did not know this. Sounds like we dodged a bullet :)

I would think though, some would be better than others? I know the tent trailers we looked at and had before had the same issue. Basically like a sauna, then when it cooled it caused condensation in them. The one hybrid we looked at has some kind of "channel" in the tent area inside. I bet that's why.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I miss my popup. It towed like a dream. We had so much fun in it. Nothing at all wrong with popups.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you were considering a slide-in, then a pop-up would be IDEAL. Like yuo said, it's nice to not have to pack everything to go on day trips. Even a larger/heavier pop-up may yield better MPG as it has far less wind resistance than a slide in.
Have fun shopping and let us know what you decide on!

OP
OP
M

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you everyone for the comments, links and ideas. Very helpful and its given me a lot to think of! It will be a decision made in the first few months of the new year. Going for a canopy as well in the next month or so.

DaGOAT01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L FFV
Here's my '13 1500 with a Palomino 1251 pop up. I installed a pair of rear HD coil springs and it handles pretty good!

Attachments

• 10387004_10202915648826816_3815035996554208235_o.jpg
    10387004_10202915648826816_3815035996554208235_o.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 102

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't even think a slide-in camper would be an issue with the 1500. I saw Tacomas and Dakotas with them all the time and thought nothing of it. So when we went truck shopping I didn't even have that in mind. My lack of research caught up with me and apparently only 3/4 ton trucks are allowed to carry slide-in campers. Meaning the 2500 series and up.

There are the pop-up type style that fit in the truck bed but they are really small, most sleep 3 people, I need one that sleeps 4. On that note the 1500 can carry 1600lbs in the back. Even these small pop-ups weight in at about 1100-1600lbs. Add 2 adults, 2 kids and we'd hit the 1600lbs mark and thats without gear, etc we bring along.

After some thinking I'm going for a tent trailer. They cost about the same, there is more room, most sleep 5 which is plenty and towing it is no problem for the 1500. Also, with that solution we won't have to carry everything with us when doing day trip from the campsite(s).

If my thinking above is off, any other solutions from members here would be great.

Don't forget, that 1600 lbs also includes you and any other passengers, so if you have a normal family of four, that would mean 500-600 lbs of that would be eaten up by just the family, not counting any supplies or gear, keaving you with maybe 1100 lbs at best.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's my opinion based off of camping in / with others and their experience.

A slide in camper immobilizes you once you arrive. Once you're setup, you're not going anywhere till you break down. This sucks. Comfort level in a truck camper is somewhat low, at least any I have been in.

Pop-up trailers are a step in the right direction. They are nicer than tent camping because you have a solid floor, and in general are more 'water tight'. They still have that 'dampness' mentioned by others, as will anything with a canvas / fabric component.

Standard (even if small) trailer, hard sided - man these are the deal! You can get even a 17' design with a queen over king setup that'll sleep a lot of people fairly comfortably, and they are dry, warm and require virtually NO setup once you arrive at your destination.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't forget, that 1600 lbs also includes you and any other passengers, so if you have a normal family of four, that would mean 500-600 lbs of that would be eaten up by just the family, not counting any supplies or gear, keaving you with maybe 1100 lbs at best.

The payload numbers include the driver.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here's my opinion based off of camping in / with others and their experience.

A slide in camper immobilizes you once you arrive. Once you're setup, you're not going anywhere till you break down. This sucks. Comfort level in a truck camper is somewhat low, at least any I have been in.

Pop-up trailers are a step in the right direction. They are nicer than tent camping because you have a solid floor, and in general are more 'water tight'. They still have that 'dampness' mentioned by others, as will anything with a canvas / fabric component.

Standard (even if small) trailer, hard sided - man these are the deal! You can get even a 17' design with a queen over king setup that'll sleep a lot of people fairly comfortably, and they are dry, warm and require virtually NO setup once you arrive at your destination.

With the new campers with electric jacks make it so easy to detach and go it litterally takes 5 minutes to unhook and drive off, about the same amount of time it takes to back your fifth wheel or travek trailer into its spot, unhook and leave.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the new campers with electric jacks make it so easy to detach and go it litterally takes 5 minutes to unhook and drive off, about the same amount of time it takes to back your fifth wheel or travek trailer into its spot, unhook and leave.

I thought it had to be IN the truck to be in it / use it?

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. You can lift it off with the jacks and live in the camper without it being on the truck. Just like a trailer.