Sturdy tire for 1/2 ton towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can run an E rated tire at 65. When I had my F250 and F350 I rarely aired them up to 80 PSI. You sure as hell don't want to be daily driving either D or E rated tires at full PSI, unless you want your teeth rattled out of your head. lol

Determine the load you'll be carrying, check the tire's inflation load chart (most manufacturers have these specs on their websites). A D rated tire at 65 PSI is for max load, but even at 50 PSI it'll carry a higher load than a XL tire at max pressure.

I run my D rated tires at 40 PSI daily and only air them up to 65 when towing my travel trailer. I don't bother airing up when towing my bass boat.

Oh yeah I'm sure that would suck lol these are going on the back of a halfton truck for stability while towing roughly 7500lbs of tongue heavy camper with some dogs in the cab. Load range really won't be an issue, i'm sure i'd end up staying in the 40-50 psi range then. Mostly just looking for as much stability as possible to help further mitigate sway.

This is good info as i'm thinking I won't need to worry about messing with the stock valve stems then. Been running 50psi in my XL tires for months with no issues.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Oh yeah I'm sure that would suck lol these are going on the back of a halfton truck for stability while towing roughly 7500lbs of tongue heavy camper with some dogs in the cab. Load range really won't be an issue, i'm sure i'd end up staying in the 40-50 psi range then. Mostly just looking for as much stability as possible to help further mitigate sway.

This is good info as i'm thinking I won't need to worry about messing with the stock valve stems then. Been running 50psi in my XL tires for months with no issues.

Biggest mods that effected sway for me was Hellwig rear sway bar and Airlift 1000 helper bags. Stock sway bar is garbage hollow *************. Helper bags pretty much eliminated rear bounce.

I also run a ProPride 3P hitch. Sure, it cost me $2700. Best $2700 I ever spent for towing. :)

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ahh I was afraid of that. and D rated 6 ply? I was under the impression Passenger tires were like 4-6 ply, D rated was 8, and E was 10. Is that incorrect or just not always the case?

I had to check my self on that p are 4ply, c rated are 6, D are 8 ply and E is 10. I think D 60 psi tires are perfect for halftons E is a little much and as stated no one really knows if the factory 1500 wheel can even handle 80psi. You don't have to run 80 in a E tire on halftons most run around 50 ish unloaded as we are so light. Someone once posted a load table and on a E tire and it showed proper air pressure for a given load weight. I don't remember what the numbers were but I know 2500 guys like 60 are in the rears unloaded. Hope you this helps

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah a D rated 8ply would do you just fine, E would for sure be the stiffest heaviest tire you wpuld ever want on a1500.

With that said I will be doing E rated tires on mine as well, sure they will never see 80psi though but I never ran 80 psi with them on my 2500 either.
These stock P rated 17" Goodyears should never have been put on a truck imo they squirm all over under weight.

OP
OP
M

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah a D rated 8ply would do you just fine, E would for sure be the stiffest heaviest tire you wpuld ever want on a1500.

With that said I will be doing E rated tires on mine as well, sure they will never see 80psi though but I never ran 80 psi with them on my 2500 either.
These stock P rated 17" Goodyears should never have been put on a truck imo they squirm all over under weight.

Yeah that stock 20" Goodyears are no better. These are mine that have only been on the front of the truck with less than 30k miles:

StockTire30k.jpg

StockTire30K2.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My work truck is a way over weighted f150 and for the last 100k miles I have run p rated tires " max 40psi" and they always looked way low "because the truck prolly weighs in between 8k and 9.5k pounds". But I just recently got the green light to put Lt"s on it.. what a difference - I'm only running 70 psi in them but good lord it helps a lot. They are the firestone at2"s- I didn't have a choice so that's what I was delt as far as brand. But if ur gonna run max weighs with a 1/2 ton it's well worth it to go to a LT tire.

BigBlackHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought I found more options in the past, now that its about time to purchase I'm not finding much at all. Long story short I'm looking for a decent set of tires with a strong load rating, at least 119 or 3000lbs essentially, for my 20" rims.

I don't need anything exotic, or overly aggressive, but I do plan on seeing some decent snow in these and occasional off road but nothing crazy and not very often. I'm assuming the 20" rim severely limits my options on this because I'm not finding much that isn't a "boring" street only tire or that isn't $250+ per tire. This was about the best I found for "ok" off road and snow for anywhere between $140-$160 / tire.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-Discoverer-H-T-Plus-119T-Tire-275-60R20/47406241

Question being, do I need to stop being a cheap ass and fork over for the $220-$280 / tire range, or is there a decent set more in the middle around $180-$200 / tire? Also, anyone have experience with these Cooper Discoverer H-T Plus Tires?

You should look up the General Grabber AT2s. They get great reviews and are three-peak mountain/snow rated. Plus, they are studdable if you needed to add more traction. I just ordered some yesterday from a local shop and having them put on today. I went with the 275/65R20. Of course I paid more for shipping local, but I need tires. You can find good deals on the interwebs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugged

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I loved my coopers I had on my magnum. Super quiet if that is what your looking for. Not sure how the ht’s are for that the zeon’s actually in person look way more meaty without getting into an a/t tire and are usually pretty reasonable. I’m going m/t style personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk