Superchips Tow Option ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be towing a 17' Carolina Skiff with a small 50 Honda motor 450 miles and will probably have another 300 pounds loaded in the bed with kayaks and other miscellaneous stuff. 2 passengers in the cab. Wondering if it will make any sense to use the superchips tow option for this trip. This will be in FL, so no hills. It says the tow option requires 91+ octane. I can't get that in FL, it would have to be 93. This will be a one time deal, so really looking to save on gas and am not concerned about the tranny. Not sure I would see any savings from my XS Mileage Save tune with 89 octane vs. The tow with 93. Any experience anyone can share would be appreciated.

Truck specs:
2014 SLT 4x4 Supercrew
5.7 Hemi, CAI + custom exhaust
6" lift on 35 MT's
3.21 gears
8 speed trans
All tires currently at 40psi warm.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'll be towing a 17' Carolina Skiff with a small 50 Honda motor 450 miles and will probably have another 300 pounds loaded in the bed with kayaks and other miscellaneous stuff. 2 passengers in the cab. Wondering if it will make any sense to use the superchips tow option for this trip. This will be in FL, so no hills. It says the tow option requires 91+ octane. I can't get that in FL, it would have to be 93. This will be a one time deal, so really looking to save on gas and am not concerned about the tranny. Not sure I would see any savings from my XS Mileage Save tune with 89 octane vs. The tow with 93. Any experience anyone can share would be appreciated.

Truck specs:
2014 SLT 4x4 Supercrew
5.7 Hemi, CAI + custom exhaust
6" lift on 35 MT's
3.21 gears
All tires currently at 40psi warm.
There's only one way to find out. I'd try it without the tow tune on the way there and with it on your way back. Or vise-versa. My guess is the tow tune will advance timing a bit and hold gears longer, so you'd probably see less "gear hunting" and possibly a little better mileage, but an overall better towing experience.

One thing I know for sure is pumping your tires up to 55-ish or more will help a lot. I run my 35's at 65psi (that is their rated max) in the back and 55 in front when towing and I notice a big difference in mileage and stability.

Ive tried all three octanes while towing. 87 gives me terrible mileage and you can definitely feel the lack of power. Ive found very little difference in performance or mileage between 89 and 93. I stick with ethanol-free 89 whenever feasible. Granted, Im working with an untuned 6.4 with only a CAI, so take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Rampant for the info on the PSI, I new I needed to pump them up, but wasn't sure to what PSI. I don't think the skiff weighs much more than 1500lbs. I probably would have done 45 front and 55 rear had you not said something.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thanks Rampant for the info on the PSI, I new I needed to pump them up, but wasn't sure to what PSI. I don't think the skiff weighs much more than 1500lbs. I probably would have done 45 front and 55 rear had you not said something.
No problem. Glad I could be of help. It took a bit of experimenting to find the sweet spot and I encourage you to do the same. My truck ran across the scales at 7110 lbs empty and on fumes, so yours will be a bit different. These trucks are very forgiving, so don't be afraid to try a few different setups. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6" lift with 35"s and mpg in the same sentence?? Lol- Just teasing-
I personally would run the 91 tune and use the 93 octane fuel-

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6" lift with 35"s and mpg in the same sentence?? Lol- Just teasing-
I personally would run the 91 tune and use the 93 octane fuel-

So you think the 91 Performance tune and not the tow tune? It also has the 93 Performance tune I can run. I ran the 93 Performance a couple times and noticed no gains, wasn't towing. Yeah, lift + 35's and mpgs are not really synonymous. Lol.. I usually get 14mpg, hoping to at least pull off 11mpg!!!

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How’d you like the tow tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How’d you like the tow tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never ended up using it, rented a boat instead for that trip. Im 10 minutes from the launch ramp here at home, so I never bother installing the tune. Lol, still have no idea if it works well...