Sway Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1500, 4x4
Engine
Hello, I'm new to the site and have a question I could use help with. I own a 2014 1500, 4x4 with the 5.7. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Hellwig rear sway bar. I pull a 27 foot camper and have felt a little rear end sway when pulling the camper. I have the coil spring air bags which help a lot but was wondering if the sway bar was worth investing in.
Thanks
Sgt Mark

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
what does your camper weigh and what's your hitch weight? It could be side wall flex in your tires.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes, had front and rear Hellwigs on my 2011, LOVED it....

Got them form Matt@Moes on here.

OP
OP
S

Sgt Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1500, 4x4
Engine
The camper total weight is 5200 dry. Not sure on the hitch weight. I have ten ply tires with Reese hitch system.

muttmutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the rear Hellwig on and a great improvement in handling without towing. I have not towed the toy hauler very far yet. 5500 dry weight and 28' Long. Biggest improvement so far I made was the Equilizer Brand hitch with the sway control built in. Still get the side wind wag but very controlled. No more white knuckles.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I have installed a couple of hellwig bars, they are nice but never solved the issue i was after with my camper. I always had a hint of sway. Spent a lot of time and money chasing the issue to find out it was the camper tires. they were sufficient with the trailer was empty but when loaded with camping gear they had too much squish. Replaced the tires and they were great.

As far as the sway bar goes, they do a good job but i didnt like how much more stiff the ride became and the little bit of off road onto the farm caused more headaches than it was worth...