Tailgate LED lightbar for trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's a weird question I know, but does anyone know if I could put a tailgate LED lightbar on the gate of my trailer? I mow part-time for extra cash and people never seem to be able to see my lights for braking or turning and end up right on my @ss.

I'm wondering if I could wire the tailgate LED lightbar to the existing 4 wire plug and mount it on the top of my gate? I just really need more visibility and I'm thinking this would be a simple solution since I can mount it on top since there is a crossbeam ledge.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I don't see why not. Let me see if I follow, you want to put the led light bar that normally goes between the bumper and tail gate on the gate of your trailer? If so I see no issue with that sense it's designed to run off trailer wiring in the first place.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see why not. Let me see if I follow, you want to put the led light bar that normally goes between the bumper and tail gate on the gate of your trailer? If so I see no issue with that sense it's designed to run off trailer wiring in the first place.

Correct. So would I just extend the wiring and connect it all to the original harness at the hitch? Or should I tie in to the existing lights in the rear of the trailer? I'm not very experienced with electrical/wiring so I'm just trying to figure out my best route.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would personally tie it into the trailer wiring if your not affraid to cut into it. Trailer wiring is very basic and easy to get diagrams for, they are all pretty much the same

Edit: here is a trailer wiring diagram even if yours has a 6way or 7way rv plug the lighs should still be the same color.

Attachments

• Wiring2_1.gif
    Wiring2_1.gif
    12 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Here is a common 4 way plug witch would be on the light bar. I suggest buying the "truck" end pig tail that would directly plug into the light bar and use that to splice into your trailer lights. So that you can unplug the light bar if needed to remove easily. I would get a few connectors with heat shrink and splice them together and call it a day.

Attachments

• images-2.jpg
    images-2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a common 4 way plug witch would be on the light bar. I suggest buying the "truck" end pig tail that would directly plug into the light bar and use that to splice into your trailer lights. So that you can unplug the light bar if needed to remove easily. I would get a few connectors with heat shrink and splice them together and call it a day.

My neighbor just hooked me up with a y harness and a 25 foot extension he bought when he was building his boat trailer. Looks like I won't have to splice at all, it also will make it easier to deal with if the light fails or I need to take it off.

Thanks for all the help and info though, if for some reason this doesn't work I'll for sure do it the way you suggested.