Tailgate Ramps - I want one, but....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that I finally own a pickup truck, I can take my mopeds with me. They aren't heavy like a motorcycle or ATV or mower, so much less weight to worry about.

Still, I have read enough horror stories of damaging the tailgate with too much load. And I do not want to have to take the tailgate off (yeah, I'm lazy, but also think on/off could damage too). What surprises me with these ramps is the design. I wonder why there can't be a design that the top part of the ramp(s) rests over the tailgate on the pickup bed itself, taking some of the weight off the tailgate. And support legs that fold down from the sides possibly.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I used to load my 800lb atv in the back from time to time and I never had a problem with it.
and with them being short beds the rear tires of the atv rested on the tailgate for the trip.

I dont see you having any problems.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I wonder why there can't be a design that the top part of the ramp(s) rests over the tailgate on the pickup bed itself, taking some of the weight off the tailgate. And support legs that fold down from the sides possibly.

Physics. Your idea could lower the load to tailgate, but you would have to have a bump, and there would be nothing more fun than riding up a 45° angle with a bump at the end LOL!

But seriously, cost, weight and complexity almost always dictates what people buy. Add having legs hanging down add all 3. Your Moped weigh more than a 48" John Deere Tractor? Although that is distributed across 2-sides of tires.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have loaded dirt bikes and 4 wheelers no issues also alot of the time 3 of us sit on the tail gate at 200+ ea that's over 600lbs. Lastly I have had well over 500 in building materials sitting on it concrete wood ect.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have loaded dirt bikes and 4 wheelers no issues also alot of the time 3 of us sit on the tail gate at 200+ ea that's over 600lbs. Lastly I have had well over 500 in building materials sitting on it concrete wood ect.

same here. all sorts of pallets and materials resting on my gate as the forklift adjusted / pushed the pallet. As well as having a 92 FZR 1000 loaded via ramp no problems, that thing is a pig! OP, I've since just bought a basic motorcycle trailer, relatively cheap and useful if you transport 2 wheels a lot and 1000 times easier to load and unload, even by your self.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
same here. all sorts of pallets and materials resting on my gate as the forklift adjusted / pushed the pallet. As well as having a 92 FZR 1000 loaded via ramp no problems, that thing is a pig! OP, I've since just bought a basic motorcycle trailer, relatively cheap and useful if you transport 2 wheels a lot and 1000 times easier to load and unload, even by your self.

I have a 4x8 utility trailer that can tow. But my issue is when camping. Can't tow 2 trailers, so I've never been able to take the mopeds along before. Now I have that opportunity. I'm always over protective and careful with my expensive stuff. Good/bad habit.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
used the mopar ramps and loaded the grizzly no issue at all!
IMG_8556_zpsezcer27c.jpg

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've had over 1k on my tailgate and it seemed ok. I was unloading power wheelchairs and parked 2 of them on the gate while I drove them down the ramp one at a time but both plus me were about 1050ish.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've used my ramps to load plenty of stuff with no issues. If you load it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure everything is secure (the ramps are secure to the truck) and don't let anything fall onto to the tailgate.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I've used my ramps to load plenty of stuff with no issues. If you load it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure everything is secure (the ramps are secure to the truck) and don't let anything fall onto to the tailgate.

As noted here make sure ramps are secure. I had.a set fly off when loading a quad once high centered it on my tail gate. I got lucky and didn't get hurt but real eye opener after several time nothing bad happening. Now I hook straps to keep that from happening.