Think I need levelers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mikelr

mikelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went the cheap route and ordered up a pair of Airlift 1000 bags.. I don't pull the trailer enough to dump hundreds of dollars on a fancy leveling system.....besides that leaves more money for other mods. :Big Laugh:

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
I have the firestone bags the red ones I think they are firestone they might be the airlift brand I cant recall..... anyway the ones that fit inside the coils and with my 7x18 enclosed trailer, 2 walker mowers, 2 push mowers fuel tanks and hand tools 25lbs pressure in them and the truck will come up above stock height. Now that Ive droped it 4" in the rear I think it was 20lbs or was it 15 anyway I only sag a little over an inch with the trailer hooked up. They do a good job for the $80 or so they cost.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have the firestone bags the red ones I think they are firestone they might be the airlift brand I cant recall..... anyway the ones that fit inside the coils and with my 7x18 enclosed trailer, 2 walker mowers, 2 push mowers fuel tanks and hand tools 25lbs pressure in them and the truck will come up above stock height. Now that Ive droped it 4" in the rear I think it was 20lbs or was it 15 anyway I only sag a little over an inch with the trailer hooked up. They do a good job for the $80 or so they cost.

I saw those online and was wondering if they were reliable. In stock trim my truck sits level when I hook up to our camper. Adding a front leveling kit (which I really want) will mess that up. How long have you had the bags? Any pics of how you ran you fill lines?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
I can take some if you like but the airlines are all ran up out of sight on the frame rails then over into the top of the coil perch on the frame and into the bags, pretty hard to see from underneath. I went with one fill point rather than two. I wasnt worried about cornering and the air being pushed from one bag to the other while in a corner, Im not a racecar driver especially when towing. Plus if you run a fill nipple for each side you have to worry about filling them even and all, how many times to you find yourself with a load in the bed that causes it to list to one side. I put my fill point right next to the liscense plate in the black plastic to make it easy to get to. Should have ran an onboard compressor to it with a gauge, purge valve and on/off switch from the get go but thats down the road.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Air bags

I went with the TLC air bags. I tow a 33' camp trailer with equalizer hitch and the truck sagged about 3". Trailer weight is right at my tow rating of 7500#. Towed 8000 miles with my new 10 ply tires and realized I was cupping the inside of the fronts and the outside of the rears. Truck handled fine with the trailer but I figured the excess tire wear would more than pay for the air bags. Now I can tow the trailer and load the bed with 800# and still run level. Often when people pull alot they dont realized the excess tire wear but after 15000 miles or so they have to replace tires and often assume it is poor tire quality. Not so usually.

OP
OP
mikelr

mikelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm setting out on a 4 hour drive to the finger lakes region of New York with the race car trailer tomorrow, I ended up putting the full 35lbs of air in the bags even know 20lbs or so leveled it up. I can re position the car in the trailer as well to alleviate tongue weight, with the car in the trailer I still have like 8 feet the move it front to back.
This will be the first time towing with this truck, a trailer that I have had for 7 years and have only pulled with a 3500 diesel up to this point. I hope I'm not too disappointed...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This will be the first time towing with this truck, a trailer that I have had for 7 years and have only pulled with a 3500 diesel up to this point. I hope I'm not too disappointed...

I certainly don't think you'll be too impressed. I love the Hemi and all, but even with a quad in the bed and 2 on a trailer... It seemed... like it was trying a lot harder.

I think the Hemi is just to much of a top end engine, not quite the low end kick, especially not that of a Diesel.

OP
OP
mikelr

mikelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I certainly don't think you'll be too impressed. I love the Hemi and all, but even with a quad in the bed and 2 on a trailer... It seemed... like it was trying a lot harder.

I think the Hemi is just to much of a top end engine, not quite the low end kick, especially not that of a Diesel.

Thought I would report back on my towing experience with the Hemi. The trailer is a 22' Haulmark enclosed with a flat frontal area, it's steel framed and weighs approx. 4500lbs empty, race car weighs 1600lbs, so just over 6000lbs total.
I don't think it's the weight so much as the drag when highway towing. Acceleration was quite brisk from a stop up to highway speed, even if it was up hill. On some of the larger hills the engine would rev in the 3-4k range to maintain speed. A bit noisy at times but always seemed to have power to spare to keep the load moving up the hill at speed. I averaged 10 mpg over the 450 mile round trip. So even though it doesn't idle up hills like the old diesel did, it had more then enough power to get the job done. I also noticed the the factory trans cooler was adequate to keep the fluid temps in the 175-210 range, most of the time it was at the lower end of the range.

Mgpatton1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put this on my truck today. A little over 10,000 lbs. I've got a 2.5" level and it squatted quite a bit lolImageUploadedByTapatalk1346346515.338658.jpg

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Rear bags should help I have the Airlift 1000 on mines.

Mgpatton1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I think I was right at it. We Had it hooked to a 97 1 ton Sierra but the radiator started leaking and the only other truck at work that could even have that trailer on it was mine. But the trailer break harness on it didn't match the hookup on my truck so all I did was back it up out of the way but it could of pulled it. Just didnt wanna F up my breaks without the trailer breaks so I didn't try it lol

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would be more worried about Fing up someone's trunk lol