Tires for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thread to discuss specific tires you've had good/bad experience with.
I think if you do any sort of of heavy towing you know the 'P' rated R20 tires that come on our1500s are lacking in sidewall rigidity.
When it comes time to replace, what to look for? GY Silent armours?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I think those are only a D Load Rating but don't quote me and i only say that because i know they are a bit less rating than my duratracs that are an E. Obviously your talking tire for hauling an RV in the Summer. I know a Guy using those on a 3500 to haul a big 5th Wheel and another Guy with a Tundra hauling a 30 foot Tow-along and both seem real pleased with the performance year round, mind you their rim sizes are 17 and 18.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I see that you are far in snow country.
Every vehicle I have ever had,and I have put Michelin tires on the ride handling and wear cannot be beat.
I just purchased 2012 2500hd 4x4 6.7, It was on the lot with Bf Goodrich long trails= 35k tire.
I had the dealer swap out for Michelin M/S II ,he was shocked when I told the swap was 5 tires not 4.
I have had this tire on 3 other 4x4 trucks full size and midsize and have gotten over 70,000 mile on each set.
This tire is load range E.
I have driven in 3-4ft of snow in Barrie Ontario with no problems.
This tire is low rolling resistance for better fuel mileage.
I tow 10K dual axle trailer with 8k milling machine no problems.
They are about $210.00 each and are a 70k tire.

Regards
Don

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Anything BFG or michellin will never be on my truck again. Had 2 sets of BFGs with issues, 1 set had tread separation and the other couldn't be balanced.
I had a set of Toyo O/Cs on my 1500 and they performed well towing, and I now have Nitto T/Gs on my 3500 and they seem to be handling the weight well. Haven't towed with them yet though.

Sent from my Tapatalkin' BB 9800

OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys!
Don- Those Muchelins look nice! They're $395 up here though. I only save about $300 by getting then from Tire Rack after a long shipping, but we'll see.
Cthulhu- What were your negative experiences with Michelin? Aside from sticker shock, I've always considered them the pinnacle of tires and have never heard anything bad.
I think the Nitto's are more offroad than I am looking for; a gravel road is about as off road as we ever plan to go :angels25:

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I had always held Michellen in high regard, but were always more expensive than I wanted to spend on tires. My opinion of them changed during my debacle this summer trying to resolve an issue with my BFG tires. Michellen (Owns BFG) screwed me around and sideways on their promises and ability to sort out their vendors.

You can have the greatest product on earth, but if its not supported properly by your supply chain, it puts you at the bottom of my pile when selecting anything... tires, trucks or a toothbrush.

http://www.ramforum.com/f48/bfg_tires_falling_apart-17994/

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I love the BFG All Terrain as it is load range E and wears so well. I have had this tire on every truck I could pretty much. Michelin and of course their offshoot BFG have never done me wrong in fact never even had a flat with them since 2002 and about 5 vehicles. They cost more because they last the longest on average and you must rotate them often or they will be wrecked.

$miley

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I also had good service from a set of BFG all terrains on full size Nissan Titan.

The BFG's started get loud road noise after about 10K not bad but not enjoyable on a long road trip.

Michelin's M/S II are much quieter because they are not all terrains, and give better MPG's because of low roll resistance.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My uncle has Michilins on his MegaCab and I swear they ride like bricks...