Tongue weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK here's my question: I have my weight distribution hitch set up and my trailer is almost level and my truck is almost back at pre-hitched Heights. My tongue weight is about 8%. How can I get a little bit more tongue weight without throwing my levels off especially on my truck. My front end of 60 pounds lighter on the front in hitched position then when it was unloaded so I'm very good there. I currently am riding nose down on the trailer just a little bit. I can lower my ball one notch, any other suggestions

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I'm understanding right, you're saying the tongue is low on the trailer, then you mention you can lower your ball, but you should be raising your ball and readjust the weight distribution accordingly, no?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
OK here's my question: I have my weight distribution hitch set up and my trailer is almost level and my truck is almost back at pre-hitched Heights. My tongue weight is about 8%. How can I get a little bit more tongue weight without throwing my levels off especially on my truck. My front end of 60 pounds lighter on the front in hitched position then when it was unloaded so I'm very good there. I currently am riding nose down on the trailer just a little bit. I can lower my ball one notch, any other suggestions

We need WAY more information

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would re-arrange the trailer to put more weight on the tongue

and tighten the hitch more to force more load on the front of the truck (you said you are neg 60#s now) this should also bring the rear of the truck up or keep it the same

then if you are still nose down on the trailer RAISE the ball, but you will have to readjust the hitch again

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I raise my ball that will reduce tongue weight even more. My tongue weight without a wdh was at 12% but I had too much sway. If I take out a washer that will give more tongue weight but will make the front end lighter, that is why I thought about lowering the ball and my current setup should still put weight on the front end of the truck.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
To start you need to level the trailer while unattached from truck. Then measure from ground to top of coupler. Then set the height of the ball 2-2.5" higher than coupler hight.

That's where you start then from there you just adjust head angle and chain links to get desired setting.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To start you need to level the trailer while unattached from truck. Then measure from ground to top of coupler. Then set the height of the ball 2-2.5" higher than coupler hight.

That's where you start then from there you just adjust head angle and chain links to get desired setting.

My trailer was almost perfectly level accoribg to my 3 foot level when I started. According to Equalizer they like the ball level with the top of the coupler but my ball was about 3/4 of an inch higher than the coupler. My truck Raised less than a half inch in the front with no weight distribution hitch and about 3/4 of an inch in the rear, I have a 2500 Ram. My set up does not have chains but it has bars and my bars are parallel to the trailer at the current set up. I have proper weight distribution as far as the front end of my truck is concerned but not for tongue weight, it is too light. That's why I was figuring if I dropped the ball that will lower to 3/4 on an inch below the coupler the tongue and push more weight on the hitch hopefully without raising the front end. too much.

Last edited:

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I've also got a 2500 but different hitch. I've got the head set sight up and down. TT is right around 900-950 tounge weight. Good little video here on the equalizer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcB2yeZr4s

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My trailer was almost perfectly level accoribg to my 3 foot level when I started. According to Equalizer they like the ball level with the top of the coupler but my ball was about 3/4 of an inch higher than the coupler. My truck Raised less than a half inch in the front with no weight distribution hitch and about 3/4 of an inch in the rear, I have a 2500 Ram. My set up does not have chains but it has bars and my bars are parallel to the trailer at the current set up. I have proper weight distribution as far as the front end of my truck is concerned but not for tongue weight, it is too light. That's why I was figuring if I dropped the ball that will lower to 3/4 on an inch below the coupler the tongue and push more weight on the hitch hopefully without raising the front end. too much.

I had to mount my ball one hole lower than the instructions say to get some more tongue weight. It tows nose down, but is definitely a better tow. If your 2500 is the current generation, I wouldn't worry too much about the front end weight with these low hitch weights. Get the sway control where you like it, and roll on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's an update: I took 2 washers out of my hitch head and I have my tongue weight up to 11%. My front end lightened up from 4920 lbs with 8% tongue weight To 4680lbs and my rear end of the truck went from 4060 with 8 % tongue weight lbs to 4360lbs. My front end weight without any hook up is 5040 lbs and my rear end weight is 3280. The current trailer weight is 9800 lbs, that is with 2 full tanks of water. My gross vehicle weight is 10,900 pounds on the trailer. my front measurements between high and low before hooking up the trailer was 41 1/2 inches with no whd was 41 3/4 inches and now am about 41 5/8 inches. I have about a 3/8 inch drop on the front end of my trailer now. I think that is about as good as it's going to get, I think new my trailer is pretty well-balanced with out wdh compared to my other trailer that I had.

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Those #'s sound good.

Do you usually travel with full tanks? If not, I'd be setting it up for the way you will travel the most.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those #'s sound good.

Do you usually travel with full tanks? If not, I'd be setting it up for the way you will travel the most.

I did not in my 30 bhs lightweight Coachman Apex, but in this trailer i will, in case I need to stop where there is no water. I still have about 1000 lbs room of weight to carry other stuff in the trailer. It seems Jayco did a great job with balancing this trailer when they designed it.