Tow dolly rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone rented a tow roller or car trailer from anyplace other than UHAUL? I know Penske and some other places have them for rent but you have to use their trucks. I am getting quotes for $470 for a tow dolly and $970 for car trailer. I am going to be moving cross country soon and for that price I am thinking of just buying a tow dolly myself. Finding listings for some good condition used ones for around $800.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anyone rented a tow roller or car trailer from anyplace other than UHAUL? I know Penske and some other places have them for rent but you have to use their trucks. I am getting quotes for $470 for a tow dolly and $970 for car trailer. I am going to be moving cross country soon and for that price I am thinking of just buying a tow dolly myself. Finding listings for some good condition used ones for around $800.
I like the idea of buying a trailer for 800 dollars. I have moved across this great nation and used a front tire trailer but that was for a Neon. I towed it using my 01 dodge ram 1500 with no issues.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am kinda leaning more toward buying one. I will be towing a 2012 Mazda 3 so nothing too big.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why not, if the lights work and the trailer rolls well. I would offer 775 and go from there

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why pay that much then have to give it back when you can pay a little less and own it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just rented a trailer from Uhaul to drag a car for my wife home to Portland form Seattle. I briefly looked into a 1-way rental just to avoid hauling the thing empty 1 way. $400!!!!! Local rental taking it up and back was $55. I have no idea why the 1-way thing is so expensive. I think you're on to something just buying one and selling it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I was in a similar boat 2yrs ago so I bought a trailer.
I moved my daughter to Yale and am going to move her back in May so at that point I will break even with the trailer , I now have a trailer to use when ever I want/need to.
Start looking and find a used one cheap.

Last edited:

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just rented a trailer from Uhaul to drag a car for my wife home to Portland form Seattle. I briefly looked into a 1-way rental just to avoid hauling the thing empty 1 way. $400!!!!! Local rental taking it up and back was $55. I have no idea why the 1-way thing is so expensive.

With UHaul the destination makes a big diff. If it's a destination experiencing a large number of incoming one-way rentals, like Las Vegas pre-2008, then the rate goes up dramatically to cover the cost of rebalancing their inventory by shuttling those units to other locations. If the destination is experiencing a net outflow, like Las Vegas post-2009, rates go down. First-hand experience from moving a daughter to/from Vegas...

Best,
DG