tow/haul button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So trying to live with my 5.7 6 speed, I've been experimenting. Running my truck with tow/haul on, it seems to top out in 5th gear. I understand that its just an adjustment of shift points and apparently final gear, but outside of gas mileage, any harm if I continuously run the car in tow/haul mode? I like the shift points significantly more than the regular shift points and gets rid of most of the "bogging" issues with this crap 6 speed trans.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I ran my 2007 MegaCab 5.7L HEMI in tow/haul all the time. I did go to full auto cruising down the freeway when not towing.

No trans problems in over 140K miles.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
your temps will always be lower out of 6th gear with a load. sitting in 6th lugs the trans and builds heat. I only put it in tow haul when I'm towing, I like full auto and mds at highway speeds. I do leave my truck in 5th (manual shift) around town, to get rid of mds. I have noticed that mds in town will drop my mileage significantly, but on the highway it does help. leave it in tow haul around town, the shift points are a lot nicer and take advantage of the power band better

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
your temps will always be lower out of 6th gear with a load. sitting in 6th lugs the trans and builds heat. I only put it in tow haul when I'm towing, I like full auto and mds at highway speeds. I do leave my truck in 5th (manual shift) around town, to get rid of mds. I have noticed that mds in town will drop my mileage significantly, but on the highway it does help. leave it in tow haul around town, the shift points are a lot nicer and take advantage of the power band better

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

this was my plan exactly! thanks

guzzel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So trying to live with my 5.7 6 speed, I've been experimenting. Running my truck with tow/haul on, it seems to top out in 5th gear. I understand that its just an adjustment of shift points and apparently final gear, but outside of gas mileage, any harm if I continuously run the car in tow/haul mode? I like the shift points significantly more than the regular shift points and gets rid of most of the "bogging" issues with this crap 6 speed trans.

Agreed! I like the shift points a little better while in Tow/Haul mode.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've since gotten my chubby little hands on a Diablo tuner. For a start, turned off the MDS. SIGNIFICANTLY better already. Haven't done any other adjustments yet. Want to go one step at a time and see what gets better/worse with each change. So far, I'm almost able to live with the 6 speed.