tow mirrors - what are you running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
is anyone running a set of the OEM style tow mirrors? how do you like them is the quality good? i am looking on ebay, and the prices seem cheap, any recommendations?

thanks in advance,

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My truck came with the oem trailer tow mirrors. I've not pulled my tt with my truck yet, but they seem decent. No question better than any slip on aftermarket tow mirrors I've ever tried, which didn't help much. If you get some, I'd rerecommend the oem mirrors. Sometimes aftermarket ones have questionable quality. Good luck

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OEM on my 2500. Wish I had the power fold version though. They work great. They stick out further than ford or chevy so functional more than pretty.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I had a 2006 1500 witch I added OEM tow mirrors too and I loved them. I recommend looking at our preferred venders here 1aauto sells them at a fair price. I'm not sure who makes them or the ones on eBay but I know the ones on Amazon have some bad reviews for quality. Just make sure you look into the product and it's reviews.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I went with ECCPP brand on Amazon for my 2011 1500. They are heated, puddle lights and turn signals like OEM. They don't auto dim and they are manual fold but nice quality for a little over $200/pair.

OP
OP
S

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went with ECCPP brand on Amazon for my 2011 1500. They are heated, puddle lights and turn signals like OEM. They don't auto dim and they are manual fold but nice quality for a little over $200/pair.

how is the quality? at that price is it safe to assume mc china specials??

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
how is the quality? at that price is it safe to assume mc china specials??
Quality is great, no complaints....well, one minor one. There are a few wires behind the mirror that are visible at times depending on how the mirrors are aimed...really should be wrapped or loomed out of view.

They are very sturdy, stable on the highway. Here's a link with some reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZZMQSLI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_D7i0ybS2WJVB1

I purchased for $210 but the price has gone up. Margins were probably really low at that price.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the factory tow mirrors on my '14 Ram.
They're great to tow with and I'm glad I got them.

My only complaint is that they didn't have a power option at the time (not sure if they do now), and those mirrors stick out far enough that it's a good idea to pull them in when you park anywhere public.
Just kind of a pain to walk around and do that manually all the time.

To each their own, but I tend to avoid "cheap on ebay" variants of anything.
More often than not, you're going to be disappointed. The way I see it, these aren't cheap trucks. Why put cheap things on them?
Unfortunately, the OEM ones are pricey. Especially for the driver's side.
Found that out the hard way thanks to a city bus.

One caution if deciding to change them out. The temperature probe for your outside temp. display is located inside the driver's side mirror.
If you don't get an OEM mirror, you might want to check and make sure the part you get includes that probe.

Last edited:

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish I had the power fold version though. They work great.

My only complaint is that they didn't have a power option at the time (not sure if they do now), and those mirrors stick out far enough that it's a good idea to pull them in when you park anywhere public.
Just kind of a pain to walk around and do that manually all the time.

Count me as another person that likes the OEM tow mirrors and dislikes the inability to power fold. The mirrors have LED turn signals and LED puddle lights, you'd think they'd throw in a power fold motor too.

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to thread jack, but did of the Laramie guys regret the upgrade to tow mirrors? I love how the mirrors auto-rotate down in reverse, but I can't stand how puny these things are even compared to the mirrors I had on my Tundra.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
no regrets at all love the factory tow mirrors and they do have power folding as well but only available on the hd line. if you have regular power folding mirrors right now in your half ton you can swap in those hd mirrors with all functions working.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not to thread jack, but did of the Laramie guys regret the upgrade to tow mirrors? I love how the mirrors auto-rotate down in reverse, but I can't stand how puny these things are even compared to the mirrors I had on my Tundra.

My 2500 Laramie auto rotates down in reverse if you so choose. I had it setup to do so at one point. As mentioned, they are also power fold on the '16 and newer trucks.

OP
OP
S

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Going to order the 1a's or from amazon i will let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
S

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Only thing is if you upgrade from a std mirror, you need a the mopar reinforcement brackets for the doors. ~45 bucks off ebay.

Installation this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have them on my 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn. They work great, so much better than a strap-on add-on like I used in my previous vehicle. I would have liked power fold for the passenger side (no real need for the drivers side). I've posted this elsewhere, but here's a $35 jury rig solution I came up with. Self-powered, but at least if I need to pull the passenger side in I don't have to climb over the center console or get out of the truck.

https://youtu.be/BDKqW0XBQw8