Tow mirrors HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 express with normal mirrors. The mirrors on the truck now are power and heated no turn signals or puddle lights, I was wondering if I got tow mirrors for my truck if they would plug in and the power and heat would work? I'm not worried about the puddle lights and turn signals not working I have searched around and can't find a definant answer some say yes and some say no. If someone could give me a definant answer id appreciate it lol, thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your current mirrors are power-fold, there are aftermarket tow mirrors that also power-fold and plug & play replacements for what you have now. Check http://www.1aauto.com

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You will retain the same functions you currently have. Even if you buy tow mirrors that are fully decked out - only the power and heat will work.

Power fold is a whole different beast. I'm not going to get into it here because its been discussed in detail elsewhere, but if you do not have power fold now (which I'm pretty sure you don't), you would need new mirrors, a door switch and modules for the door. Otherwise you can wire up the power fold option to a separate switch that's completely independent of the truck.

The only "issue" you will have (I'm having this same problem as I just swapped mirrors a month ago) - if you add tow mirrors, when you flip them up - the power adjustment buttons will be off by 90 degrees in the direction you flipped them. Basically, the truck does not know it has tow mirrors on it, so it's not looking for the sensor that indicates what position the mirror is in.

All of these features can be flashed to the truck by the dealer, as long as your truck had ability to be ordered with the option. I don't believe you could order your truck with power fold mirrors to begin with, so they wouldn't be able to flash that code for you. But you could get tow mirrors, so they would be able to put that one in if you wanted down the road

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
yes your dealer can flash the proper codes into your 2014 express to get the puddle lamps and courtesy lamps working.

the tow mirrors are plug and play, although different brackets are needed to support them properly, Quirk Parts sells them as a whole kit.

my previous truck was a 2014 express with the power heated mirrors. i personally swapped to the power heated tow mirrors with puddle lamps and courtesy lamps. i had the dealer add sales code LEB and LEC to get the puddle lamps and courtesy lamps functioning.

there is another code that should be added to get the proper mirror functioning when the tow mirrors are in the upright postion, unsure of the code for that, a search should find it.

RogueXpress609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much did they charge to flash the codes

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
We carry tow mirrors for the 2014, but all of the ones that we carry include power, heat, turn signals and a puddle light.

With the added options they may not work properly, unless sales codes are enabled at the dealer, but we can't guarantee that the added codes would work.

We typically have our customers match option-for-option the mirrors that they're replacing.

Regards,
Tony

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine
2015 Ram Big Horn - removed factory plain mirrors and installed factory tow mirrors with puddle light flip up ect. and ambient temp sensor. Once I installed received engine light on dash and outside temp read -40 degrees.
Took to dealership $108 to flash code LEC, LED, LEG and everything worked except the ambient temp. Tech came out and said the ECM is trying to pick between two sensors and will not work.
If I bring in the original mirrors they will spend couple hours on trying to figure out what is wrong but no guarantees. This will cost me $300 to try.

Looking for some help please. Thanks Piper

ssilence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought I saw somewhere that you could remove the temp sensor from the old mirror and install in the new mirror. Can't remember where I read that at....but that could be the fix. I know in the mirrors it is right under the arm near the side of the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
I will do a search for that and look into switching out the temp sensors. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
I switched out the ambient temp sensor with the old one from the original mirror no luck still -40 degrees. I checked the black and white wires coming from the sensor to see where they lead too in the terminal block. Both the old mirror and the new mirror pin out in the same location.
I then plugged in the old mirror terminal block with ambient sensor and the temp was normal but the check engine light was still on.
I am at a loss as what would be causing this. There are several other wires in the terminal block not sure if these are what it causing the issues.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did you try to clear the CEL with the original sensor in the new housing? The CEL is most likely being caused by the temp sensor not reading correctly.

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
Thank you Crash I will give it a try. Here's what has been happening and what happened when I cleared the CEL.
The old sensor is in place and sometimes I can see the temperature start to rise very slowly to the real temp from -40. It will finally reach the correct temp and when I turn the truck off and restart the temp returns to -40. I did reset and clear the CEL and still not working properly. Once I did clear the CEL the check engine light disappeared and returned short time later.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but depending on the year - I do know the sensor was moved from the passenger side to the drivers side. Again - this may be completely irrelevant. Just throwing that out there

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've seen some that come with brackets and I have seen bracket kits for these mirrors, however, the ones I bought said no brackets needed and the mirrors would have no shake or anything. I put them on in June and they are still perfect driving down the road; haven't needed to be retightened.

As already mentioned you will retain what you have and the flip up messes with the adjustment buttons.