Towing with a 2500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been on a couple of trips with what I would consider a light weight travel trailer, probably 6K loaded. The 1st trip was a short trip with flat roads, very few small hills(very pleased with overall experience). The 2nd was a 6 hour round trip, mostly interstate and a lot of hills. Very disappointed with the overall performance. Felt like the truck struggled just as much as my Tundra did with hills(not mountains by any means). Gas mileage was hovering around the 7mpg mark, running about 60-65 mph. I have a 2017 2500 5.7 with the 3.73 ratio. Is that about par for the course for my truck while towing a travel trailer? I looked at the light weight 5th wheels but would be getting tight with the payload capacity. Thanks

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I believe that the reason for the lower payload and GVWR in the 5.7L over the 6.4L is due to the 17 inch rims/tires and everything else is the same axles and all(besides the engine of course). I am not 100% on this though. Looking at the tire chart in the Ram Bodybuilder, the 17 inch rims/tires have a considerably lower rating per tire.

Tire chart.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info, hope this is true. Dealer traded out my factory rims/tires for the black 20" wheels.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I've been on a couple of trips with what I would consider a light weight travel trailer, probably 6K loaded. The 1st trip was a short trip with flat roads, very few small hills(very pleased with overall experience). The 2nd was a 6 hour round trip, mostly interstate and a lot of hills. Very disappointed with the overall performance. Felt like the truck struggled just as much as my Tundra did with hills(not mountains by any means). Gas mileage was hovering around the 7mpg mark, running about 60-65 mph. I have a 2017 2500 5.7 with the 3.73 ratio. Is that about par for the course for my truck while towing a travel trailer? I looked at the light weight 5th wheels but would be getting tight with the payload capacity. Thanks

A couple of suggestions. Always use tow/haul. When you see a hill approaching manually downshift before incline. If you wait for the tranny to downshift you will already be behind the eight ball on pulling the hill with any momentum. Our hemis do great up the hills if you keep your RPM's over 3500. I tow a lot in the mountains of Colorado and this sequence works great.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Thanks for the info, hope this is true. Dealer traded out my factory rims/tires for the black 20" wheels.

If they did that then the tire load sticker on the side of your door is useless since that is only for factory tires. You probably have more payload ability then that now with 20" tire/rims.

OP
OP
K

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A couple of suggestions. Always use tow/haul. When you see a hill approaching manually downshift before incline. If you wait for the tranny to downshift you will already be behind the eight ball on pulling the hill with any momentum. Our hemis do great up the hills if you keep your RPM's over 3500. I tow a lot in the mountains of Colorado and this sequence works great.

Thanks for the info and advice

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another option-you have lots of performance upgrades available for your 5.7- a custom tow tune may help you out a bit. The next thing that would help prolly more than a tune would be gears. If ur tires are 33" or larger I would suggest 4:56 up to a 35" tire. Only thing is gears are not cheap.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My suggestions would be:

1. Use Tow/Haul mode
2. Add a cold air intake
3. Add a freer flowing exhaust
4. Add a programmer with a custom tune

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
IMO, gears should be your first mod. My old 5.7 truck had exhaust, intake and tune. The exhaust and intake just made the truck annoyingly loud when towing up a grade. Especially the K&N intake. The programmer was great but didn't do anything much noticeable when towing. While the gears are expensive they will make a big difference. If you look at the Ram Body Builder Guide towing chart, you will see that gears alone have a significant impact on GCWR and Max Tow ratings.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/bodybuildersguide/2016/ramHD/

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dup post.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I believe that the reason for the lower payload and GVWR in the 5.7L over the 6.4L is due to the 17 inch rims/tires and everything else is the same axles and all(besides the engine of course). I am not 100% on this though. Looking at the tire chart in the Ram Bodybuilder, the 17 inch rims/tires have a considerably lower rating per tire.

View attachment 92215

Spot checking a few tire manufactures ratings on tirerack.com it seems like the 17" specifically have a lower load rating than most other sizes. Even over most 16" or 18" tires in a similar diameter and PSI ratings. Strange.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I towed my ~6K TT about 1,200 miles this summer with plenty of long steep grades and my 5.7 w/ 3.73 did fine; however, it worked hard. It wasn't unusual to be screaming up a hill at 4500+ RPM's but as was already pointed out, it's better to grab that lower gear before you hit the incline. The big difference I noticed when I graduated to the HD was the 'stability' of the tow. My last trip home through mountains involved 20 mph sustained winds with 35 mph gusts. I was running 50-60 mph most of the time and not one of my knuckles turned white :)

Also, I never believed octane made any difference until last year. I switched to mid-grade fuel after my 1st tow (and reading owner's manual) and found my MPG's went up a bit. I also swear the truck performed better when towing but that's hard to quantify, just a gut feeling.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good advice posted here so far, try to get a runny When approaching a hill, use haul mode, consider upgrading to 4:10 or 430 gears. Gears will make a big difference. I also notice a performance difference when I use mid-grade gasoline over the 87 octane, and I believe our owner owner's manual say mid-grade is recommended. Good luck

OP
OP
K

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very good info. Anyone know what kind of cost is involved in upgrading to the 4.10 gears?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Very good info. Anyone know what kind of cost is involved in upgrading to the 4.10 gears?

Skip right past the 4.10's and go to a 4.44 or 4.56. If you do the math (SouthTexan provided some #'s in a prior thread), 4.10's still results in lazy overall gearing with the diesel trans ratios present in our 66rfe.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ it's a couple grand- and everyone who has done gears has been extremely happy with it.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd trade the truck in before spending that much for gears.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'd trade the truck in before spending that much for gears.

What he said.

If all you are doing is towing with this truck, go to a 6.4, or even better, a Cummins.

If you are set on keeping this truck, and want to re-gear, go lower than the 4.10's. From everything I've read on this forum, and others, 4.10's are alright but lower gears are much better.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 6.4 with 3:73"s.. even if I had 4:10"s I would still want to regear as bad as I want to now. If I towed a lot I would of probably re geared by now.

Only way it will "tow better " is with gears and using all the tools listed above I.e early down shift and such.
And as far as trading it in.. only thing worth trading it in on would be a diesel and the used diesel market is a fckn joke and way over priced IMO