Towing with a 2500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Your right I should stop ragging on it. sorry

I do have 50,000 miles under my belt driving with that transmission, never again.
Used to be a GM fan but not any more , they went to crap we can agree on that..lol

tak1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 5.7 in my 2004 2500. I have found that simply filling up with non-ethanol fuel when I know I'm going to be towing makes a big difference. I have the 4.10 gears.

OP
OP
K

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took a 3 hour trip north on the Interstate this past weekend. I could definitely tell a difference when downshifting before hitting a hill, thanks for that advice. A couple of other questions I have. Do you use tow/haul mode the whole time even on flat terrain? Does that make a big difference either way? Also, my wife hates the Cold Air Intake on the truck when towing, makes for a fairly loud ride. I've only driven the truck with the CAI, should I see a difference in power if I remove it?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I took a 3 hour trip north on the Interstate this past weekend. I could definitely tell a difference when downshifting before hitting a hill, thanks for that advice. A couple of other questions I have. Do you use tow/haul mode the whole time even on flat terrain? Does that make a big difference either way? Also, my wife hates the Cold Air Intake on the truck when towing, makes for a fairly loud ride. I've only driven the truck with the CAI, should I see a difference in power if I remove it?

Glad to hear that! Yes absolutely, tow/haul should be engaged before you leave your driveway and left on continously until you unhook at the CG. If you've been switching it on and off during your trip, that explains a lot.

I was once a fan of loud exhausts and cai's, but no more. Imo, all they do is make things louder, which is not bad if your into that. Actual seat of the pants gains from that crap is minimal on an otherwise stock engine. I'd put the stock one back on, but your call.