Towing 25ft boat with 1500 and 3.92 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I got my truck on order from the factory. Its a 2014 quad cab 4x4 1500 with 3.92 gears. the towing capacity is 10000 pounds. I plan on getting a boat tHis spring. I just didn't planon getting one so big 25 or 26 ft give or take a foot. The boat will be a cruiser.I didn't want to get the three quarter ton since I'm mainly going to be doing around the town driving. Will i be okay with my truck towing the boat a few times a year and not every weekend. I live in ny so its a short season. I would have to spend thousands more just to get 3000 pound more towing capacity. But I do want my truck last for 10 years or more Thanks

Searay245se

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Been towing my 25 ft Searay with 1/2 ton pick ups since I got it and have never had a problem yet.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i tow an 8k 28ft travel trailer several hundred miles a year with 0 issues. Even drove it through the mountains and I didnt have to slow down going up some pretty steep grades for extended periods of time.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I gUess I shOuld rephrase my qUestion. I know it will do it. Am I going to shorten the life of the transmission in half or at least somewhat? I gUess if I Lived in Florida and towed 9000 + pounds once a week it wouldn't last nearly as long as if I towedthe sameboat here in ny 10 times per year. My main concern is the tranny. I got the tow package but the only good thing about that is the extended mirrors right? I know there is a temp. Gauge for the tranny but could I add a cooler for it? I'm concerned because the weight Will be close to the Max. Again, thanks

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Towing a boat will happen only in warm weather. Towing gently until the tranny reaches operating temp goes a long way toward making it last. That and servicing it. Did you get the 6 or 8 speed? Keep in mind it has a 100K mile warrantee.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got the 8 speed. I just want to do whatever I can to make it last as long as possible.

Towing a boat will happen only in warm weather. Towing gently until the tranny reaches operating temp goes a long way toward making it last. That and servicing it. Did you get the 6 or 8 speed? Keep in mind it has a 100K mile warrantee.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I gUess I shOuld rephrase my qUestion. I know it will do it. Am I going to shorten the life of the transmission in half or at least somewhat? I gUess if I Lived in Florida and towed 9000 + pounds once a week it wouldn't last nearly as long as if I towedthe sameboat here in ny 10 times per year. My main concern is the tranny. I got the tow package but the only good thing about that is the extended mirrors right? I know there is a temp. Gauge for the tranny but could I add a cooler for it? I'm concerned because the weight Will be close to the Max. Again, thanks

The towing package on mine did not include the towing mirrors, but did include:
heavy duty transmission cooler
7 pin harness
class IV hitch
integrated brake controller

I did get the towing mirrors and the 3.92 rear end with limited slip also.

I would expect yours to have the trns cooler as well.

There is a way to get your build sheet, but I don't remember how, and it is more detailed thany our window sticker. My build sheet shows the trans cooler, but the window sticker doesn't.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They ALL have the trans cooler; don't worry about it.
I've measured my oil, engine and tranny temps while cruising flat while empty as well as pulling our 7,500lb, 32' travel trailer through the Rockies. I was shocked to see temps within a degree *C of each other. WOW! It's a tough truck and you've outfitted it as well as you could have for your task. Just keep up on maintenance and drive it with common sense and you'll love it for years.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Keep it in tow/haul mode. Its a truck, rated for it.... Use it like its a truck. You'll be fine, I promise. I towed a 21 foot cuddy with a v6 2000 Dakota and the truck didn't give a single chit lol.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They ALL have the trans cooler; don't worry about it.
I've measured my oil, engine and tranny temps while cruising flat while empty as well as pulling our 7,500lb, 32' travel trailer through the Rockies. I was shocked to see temps within a degree *C of each other. WOW! It's a tough truck and you've outfitted it as well as you could have for your task. Just keep up on maintenance and drive it with common sense and you'll love it for years.

Yes, they all have a trans cooler, but the towing package has a HD cooler.

And on mine, I have noticed less than a 20 deg temp diff between towing and not towing, and the highest trans tremp I have seen is 165.

BlkExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
towing my 272 boss back in 06 with 3.92....no iissues

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Awesome!

The towing package on mine did not include the towing mirrors, but did include:
heavy duty transmission cooler
7 pin harness
class IV hitch
integrated brake controller

I did get the towing mirrors and the 3.92 rear end with limited slip also.

I would expect yours to have the trns cooler as well.

There is a way to get your build sheet, but I don't remember how, and it is more detailed thany our window sticker. My build sheet shows the trans cooler, but the window sticker doesn't.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You'll have no problem

It depends on the boat and the trailer as well, honestly.

Not too many boats that length over 7-8,000 lbs, but there are a few. If they are, he should get an aluminum trailer.

Still, I pulled a much heavier boat than that with a Durango for a couple years...soooo......

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I never towed anything with my 85 powerwagon. But I had/have a Silverado 1500 crew cab 4X4 and I have 150,000 miles on it and towed between 8,000lbs and 9,000lbs with it with no problems going up and down mountains with the towing package on it as well. Guess why I bought a new truck. Yep the transmission went out. Lol. So now when I tow something I use my ¾ ton. Lol. Especially if it's over 8,000lbs or even close to that. The ½ ton trucks can tow that much. Yes. But are not meant to tow that much for long periods of time and not frequently. They will give out eventually. And then ya have to put from $1,000-$3,000 to fix it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ZF is rated for 520 pound torque, it is much tougher than the Chrysler 6 speed which is rated about 420.

You should have no problem with this transmission.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Dodge - Recall
Put your VIN in under equipment listing and hit enter.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
And then ya have to put from $1,000-$3,000 to fix it.
There you have it. Save 10K buy a 1500, and after 150,000 miles of towing have the trans rebuilt, be good for another 150K and still have 7000$ to spare! lol

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
As others have said these things have great cooling for both oil and trans. They have awesome engine brake when in tow haul as well. I have towed a lot of miles with mine (5 speed) and it has been trouble free. I am sure the 8 speed is even better so nothing to worry about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01