Towing on 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just found out our favorite campsite that we spend 75% of our time at had to shut down their fuel station in favor of an above ground single tank. That means no more 89 Octane :(

Given that all I run even unloaded is the recommended 89, this presents a problem: tow on 87 octane or carry 20 gallons in cans on our trip.

Anyone running 87 while towing with any ill effects?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

slodsm

Life begins at -160f
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may be the odd one here but all I've ever put in my truck was 87. For a short period of time I ran it around on the 93 tune and it wasn't enough of a difference to warrant the extra 40-50 cents a gallon so I knocked it back down to the 87. Prior to having a tuner I tried 87, no pinging and no specks on the ceramic of my spark plugs so no detonation.

I have towed a 5000ish pound boat and trailer crammed with gear all over Tx for as long as I've owned this truck with and without a tuner on 87-93 and I've seen no ill effects. 103k miles and still runs as strong as the day I bought it.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 3 Hemi trucks I have always used the cheapest 87 I could find. Never had a problem with any of them. My wife's Hemi car is getting close to 180,000 kms and the injectors seem to be leaking. She always runs the cheap 87 as well, usually uo to 10% Ethonal.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
87 is all I run. No issues.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the altitude you live at unless you're racing uphill with the trailer, I would pay attention to the engine (sounds, temps) but not worry.
That being said, I always carry 5 gallons of gas with me whenever towing, but have to figure that into the payload & room.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With the altitude you live at unless you're racing uphill with the trailer, I would pay attention to the engine (sounds, temps) but not worry.
That being said, I always carry 5 gallons of gas with me whenever towing, but have to figure that into the payload & room.

What payload. That's non-existent, plenty of room though ;)

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Always carried a 5 gallon "oh ****" can just in case. But if the hemi wouldn't deal well with 87 for towing, that 5 would turn into 15.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
15 Gallons? that WOULD be a payload consideration.
I would love to have a small-ish slip tank in the bed but unless we move to a 2500 that won't happen. I can't believe what a stupid small tank they gave us.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
15 Gallons? that WOULD be a payload consideration.
I would love to have a small-ish slip tank in the bed but unless we move to a 2500 that won't happen. I can't believe what a stupid small tank they gave us.

Yeah- 26 Gal. I am *hoping* to see 10mpg with my trailer. That will get me there on about 10-12 gallons which means as long as I don't have to make the 40km trip to the nearest town for groceries it won't be bad. But if I can tow on 87, problem solved :)

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
They make bottles of octane booster. 5$ bottle treats like 20 gallons. Just take a few of those little bottles.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^^^Yup, this. If you're concerned about it just carry some bottles of octane boost. Personally, I just run 87 even when pulling my camper, but I don't have the hemi.

Ray

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I Tow with the canned 87 Superchips Tune, no probs here, even with the hills near Maple Creek when I am heading to the Eagle Valley Sask Camp Ground. The 91 Tow Tune I would like to Try sometime but then again with it not being recommended to Drive around on that tune when the Trailer is sited/removed would be a pain in the ass to load unload and load again all in the same weekend. According to superchips the difference in Hp/Tq is only 5 or 6 difference between 87 and 91. (No proof) But I heard from different Mopar Guys here in Alberta that at higher altitude the 87 performs like 89 would if you went down 6-700 meters from where we are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I Tow with the canned 87 Superchips Tune, no probs here, even with the hills near Maple Creek when I am heading to the Eagle Valley Sask Camp Ground. The 91 Tow Tune I would like to Try sometime but then again with it not being recommended to Drive around on that tune when the Trailer is sited/removed would be a pain in the ass to load unload and load again all in the same weekend. According to superchips the difference in Hp/Tq is only 5 or 6 difference. I also heard that at higher altitude the 87 performs like 89 would if you went down 6-700 meters from where we are.

You ever hit the Sask landing? We plan on making it to Cypress then the Landing most of the year. Never been to Eagle valley other than when it almost washed away...

Figure I am just going to run 87 when we hit Cypress this year- if it handles those hills by MC on 87, we'll be fine ;)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 things:
a) those little bottles of octane boost, boost your octane on the order of octane points which are 0.1 RON. So if it says it will boost a tank by 7 points, it will bump 87 to 87.7, not 94. It would cost a fortune and add a TON of chemical crap into your fuel system to really get the same boost filling up with a higher octane fuel would.
b) Cypress is gorgeous! We're trying to schedule a trip around some swimming lessons. Just not sure where; in the trees is so cool even during the day but the meadows don't have sewer hookups which is a PITA for a week-long trip.
We spent a week in Maple Creek last summer; don't think we'll do that again LOL

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2 things:
a) those little bottles of octane boost, boost your octane on the order of octane points which are 0.1 RON. So if it says it will boost a tank by 7 points, it will bump 87 to 87.7, not 94. It would cost a fortune and add a TON of chemical crap into your fuel system to really get the same boost filling up with a higher octane fuel would.
b) Cypress is gorgeous! We're trying to schedule a trip around some swimming lessons. Just not sure where; in the trees is so cool even during the day but the meadows don't have sewer hookups which is a PITA for a week-long trip.
We spent a week in Maple Creek last summer; don't think we'll do that again LOL

Theres a guy in cypress with a vac truck. Comes around and pumps your tanks for 20 bucks. He is there year round. All you do is call him and he is there within a half hour :)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah; we heard about him. Our tanks are so small I bought a "blue boy" for the gray water last year. Parking the camper in the trees seems so daunting anyway haha

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh yeah; we heard about him. Our tanks are so small I bought a "blue boy" for the gray water last year. Parking the camper in the trees seems so daunting anyway haha

I use the drive through sites at pine lodge as much as possible :)

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Since I have had my truck, I have done about 20k miles on her with using only 87. Though I will only use the Tier 1 gas stations like Shell or Exxon, etc. The first couple fill ups I did use the cheapest possible and my Hemi was pissed at me for that one. It was really rough idle and running but after a fill up with Shell, never had those issues since I use better gas.