towing with bully dog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I looked in towing section (nothing really close to this topic in there) and search function is not my friend for some reason. Hope this is ok to ask in general questions. Can I tow my 6000# camper/RV with a bully dog gt tuner installed without damge? I know my old superchips on previous trucks asked if i would be towing more than 6K# but this GT did not. Thanks and again hope its ok to post this here

OP
OP
HLram

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
yes and truck does also. I do monitor that when I tow. Is that the only thing I should worry bout towing with a programmer? I just know with 3.55 gears this truck hates my camper. I have to coax the truck into parking near the thing by telling it "dont worry baby, we are just parking". haha so it really needs help when i tow it. I didnt want to remove tuner to tow it home in a couple weeks.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think only think to be cautious of is if you experience pinging or detonation I believe that is why some say to detune. I would just use mid grade 89 or higher fuel and you will be fine I bet.

Have you tried using shifter to limit the truck to 4th gear when towing plus still use tow haul. It helped for me when I had 3.55 gears of course getting going seems to biggest issue not highway but just a thought maybe lock into 1 when working on positioning to park.

Last edited:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
So the BD don't have a towing section like superchip?

OP
OP
HLram

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I already run 93 octane fuel. And i have towed in a lower gear plus tow/haul and it did help. The knock/detonation etc is what i was more worried about. And this tuner doesnt have a tow setting just normal and performance. Thanks for the replies guys. I may just try it in perf and see what it does.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You should be fine while towing. Just use the higher octane as you have been, and you will be OK. Worst case scenario, step down to the lower tune and keep the 93 octane fuel in there. If tranny temps starts to be a concern, then you can always step up to a deeper transmission pan. That is cheap insurance that will show a decrease in transmission temps.

OP
OP
HLram

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
i think it will be okay. I am **** about running good gas for some reason. BTW, ur service is top notch buddy. I am not used to getting stuff as fast as u get it to me. I will definitely continue to throw money ur way. I have gotten the BD and the gauge pod / mount from u so far. Much more o come. Thanks abunch! Later

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
yes and truck does also. I do monitor that when I tow. Is that the only thing I should worry bout towing with a programmer? I just know with 3.55 gears this truck hates my camper. I have to coax the truck into parking near the thing by telling it "dont worry baby, we are just parking". haha so it really needs help when i tow it. I didnt want to remove tuner to tow it home in a couple weeks.

Spend the $$ and move up to 3.92 gears. Your truck will thank you.