Towing cross country with 3.21 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are moving to Phoenix AZ from central PA. I have a 5.7 1500 with 3.21 gears, she drives a 2013 Ford Fusion (around 3500lbs). I'm looking for advice and insights on getting a dolly from uhaul and towing her car out.

First off am I crazy to consider towing her car 2000 miles with these gears? Will it be harmful to my truck?

If not any tips or advice will be much appreciated.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Couple of questions for ya:

4x4?

Std cab, quad cab or crew?

short bed? long bed?

Last edited:

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are moving to Phoenix AZ from central PA. I have a 5.7 1500 with 3.21 gears, she drives a 2013 Ford Fusion (around 3500lbs). I'm looking for advice and insights on getting a dolly from uhaul and towing her car out.

First off am I crazy to consider towing her car 2000 miles with these gears? Will it be harmful to my truck?

If not any tips or advice will be much appreciated.
You should also research whether or not the transmission cooler can handle the heat during towing.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a quad cab, 4x4, 6.4 ft bed. I'm lifted on 37s

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The 37s will be your biggest problem. All I have to say is load up and go. Check you transmission temps fairly often and keep it in tow haul. I'm assuming you have the 8 speed if you have the 3.21 axle. The 8 speed is a great tranmission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well I was going to say dont worry about it the truck should handle that with no problems.
But 37" tires could change my answer , like was said I would look at adding a trans cooler if you can to it

Have to ask how dose it pull those 37s around and does it search for gears at hwy speeds.

OP
OP
J

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I have the 8 speed. I don't notice any issues with the 37s. I've been running them close to 2 years. Not the ideal ratio but I'm planning for a regear eventually.

Thanks for the input. I have to be honest I'm a little weary about doing it and that's why I'm looking for the advice.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Around 2004 I towed my wife's Neon from Watertown, NY to Washington with my 01 Ram with the 5.9 magnum. All was well but that was my first time towing anything. I forgot to use tow/haul and fouled up the torque converter. Are you using a half tow trailer or full?

OP
OP
J

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Around 2004 I towed my wife's Neon from Watertown, NY to Washington with my 01 Ram with the 5.9 magnum. All was well but that was my first time towing anything. I forgot to use tow/haul and fouled up the torque converter. Are you using a half tow trailer or full?

I would use the half tow

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Ha I was worried about going to 35s but after hearing that I might go ahead a get it done then.

End of may I will be going and getting my daughter and moving her back here pulling a 12' twin axle enclosed trailer 22hrs one way only stopping for fuel I dont feel this truck will have any problems with it.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Consult your owners manual for towing, there should be advice about towing

OP
OP
J

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We are leaving this weekend so that doesn't give me much time for a tranny cooler. With my gears and 37s would you be cautious and say don't do it or would you say go for it?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go for it - Just take your time- Biggest thing to be concerns with is stopping. Thise 37"s are gonna be heavy and the truck wasn't built with those size tired in mind. And now you're also adding a trailer to the weight. just take your time and go easy on the brakes. I am sure you will be fine. If your gonna start down a steep hill- Just manually get it into a lower gear and let it sit there- same thing with climbing a hill. Just try not to over work the truck. Also make sure you leave tow haul on for the whole trip, and turn it back on when you exit the truck for breaks. You will be fine.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You better check with Uhaul. I had to move a 2007 Ford Edge. I rented a Uhaul trailer when I went to pick it up and they didn't bat an eye. When I went back to rent the trailer again to donate the car, they told me I needed a Class V hitch to pull that car with their trailer. He ultimately rented me the trailer because I had already done it once but, stated he wouldn't do it again. The Uhaul trailer weighs in at 2300lbs if I remember correctly.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You better check with Uhaul. I had to move a 2007 Ford Edge. I rented a Uhaul trailer when I went to pick it up and they didn't bat an eye. When I went back to rent the trailer again to donate the car, they told me I needed a Class V hitch to pull that car with their trailer. He ultimately rented me the trailer because I had already done it once but, stated he wouldn't do it again. The Uhaul trailer weighs in at 2300lbs if I remember correctly.

The OP actually stated he was getting a dolly. Witch is alot lighter witch would help his situation over the trailer with having his 37's. To the OP once you get moving try to be like a semi don't be in a hurry and try to run 80. Just let the truck do what it's suppose to stay around 60 gain speed going down slight grades and relax on the pedal going up should help ease the strain on you drive line. If your truck is constantly shifting gears that will be the hardest thing on it.

OP
OP
J

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advice guys. We are going to make a decision today as far as what we are doing. I'm planning on making a trip to uhaul later today.

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
I bet it goes fine, but let us know!!